Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
The average age of cars on the road is 11. Anyone else find this to be pretty wasteful? So many cars are now in scrap yards because they just aren't worth much anymore, they still run fine but are considered junk because they are valued more as scrap metal than a car. My moms 2005 Chrysler 300c is in a scrapyard somewhere now because it got in an accident and it would cost a few k to fix the body, still ran great. She drove it for a week after the crash with no issues but the insurance company still called it totaled for some reason. 2005s sell for 10k easy... If you saw the car it was obvious that it would be maybe 3k at the most to fix it, and it was only body damage, keep that in mind. This has really been bothering me lately because I've been looking for older cars on kijiji and there aren't any. Plenty of 2002 and newer cars for $1000 but hardly anything older. I really do like older cars so maybe I'm biased but I really don't like how wasteful we are. But I have a feeling insurance has a big role in his because I'm gonna guess that insurance on an older car would be pretty high. If its a well cared for car it should run just fine for a long time, I'm sure that most car manufacturers build their cars to last waaaay longer than 11 years. Done venting, time to smoke.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The average age of cars on the road is 11. Anyone else find this to be pretty wasteful? So many cars are now in scrap yards because they just aren't worth much anymore, they still run fine but are considered junk because they are valued more as scrap metal than a car. My moms 2005 Chrysler 300c is in a scrapyard somewhere now because it got in an accident and it would cost a few k to fix the body, still ran great. She drove it for a week after the crash with no issues but the insurance company still called it totaled for some reason. 2005s sell for 10k easy... If you saw the car it was obvious that it would be maybe 3k at the most to fix it, and it was only body damage, keep that in mind. This has really been bothering me lately because I've been looking for older cars on kijiji and there aren't any. Plenty of 2002 and newer cars for $1000 but hardly anything older. I really do like older cars so maybe I'm biased but I really don't like how wasteful we are. But I have a feeling insurance has a big role in his because I'm gonna guess that insurance on an older car would be pretty high. If its a well cared for car it should run just fine for a long time, I'm sure that most car manufacturers build their cars to last waaaay longer than 11 years. Done venting, time to smoke.
A lot of that has to due with 'The Cash for Clunkers' program was signed into law by President Obama in 2009. The goal was to encourage consumers to trade in their older used vehicles for new vehicles offering better fuel economy, and stimulate US auto sales.
Those cars had to be destroyed and no parts re-used.
Besides that, there are many cars that are not made to last and are more disposable.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
A lot of that has to due with 'The Cash for Clunkers' program was signed into law by President Obama in 2009. The goal was to encourage consumers to trade in their older used vehicles for new vehicles offering better fuel economy, and stimulate US auto sales.
Those cars had to be destroyed and no parts re-used.
Besides that, there are many cars that are not made to last and are more disposable.
He's from Canada :eek:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
He's from Canada :eek:

For some reason I thought he was in / or on the border of Michigan.:eek:
Canada? What is he doing in Canada?
Is he there on purpose?:D
That program really drove up the price of the remaining used cars,
Wonder if it has an effect on our neighbors close to the borders?

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I actually winced when I got that image seared into my brain .... eeh :(
Doug says that color looks good on anyone...
That's why he picked it for the Twister competition leotard.
When you have two people as passionate about about pastels as Doug and Adam, there will always be some conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis