Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I were to go back in time, I would just get 5 Phil3s and 5 subs and call it a night.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Phil3 speakers are so freaking darn great. Can't believe it. And at higher volume, they sound super freaking darn great. Bass is shaking my walls right now. My lounger chair is shaking right now. :eek: Super tight tight.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been listening since noon (my day off: D). Better start cleaning up before my wife comes home.:eek:

All she will see is me vacuuming the house with sweat poring down my face.:eek:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If I were to go back in time, I would just get 5 Phil3s and 5 subs and call it a night.:D
The Phil3 speakers are so freaking darn great. Can't believe it. And at higher volume, they sound super freaking darn great. Bass is shaking my walls right now. My lounger chair is shaking right now. :eek: Super tight tight.
I just might.

I might let the Denon 5308 power the KEF's and let the AT3000 power the Phil3.
And so it goes… another DM fanboy is born :D.

ADTG (soon to change his moniker to DMFB) glad you like them.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Alright... we've waited long enough... how do the 3s compare to the Salon 2s and the Orions? Inquiring minds (and the mindless) want to know.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Alright... we've waited long enough... how do the 3s compare to the Salon 2s and the Orions? Inquiring minds (and the mindless) want to know.
Every bit as awesome!

Super detailed. Super clean. Super clear. Tight, tight, tight.:D

What can I say?

Great speakers sound great.

These Philharmonic speakers are truly world class, just as the Salon2 & Orion are.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Every bit as awesome!

Super detailed. Super clean. Super clear. Tight, tight, tight.:D

What can I say?

Great speakers sound great.

These Philharmonic speakers are truly world class, just as the Salon2 & Orion are.
So, in other words, they're all so good it's difficult to choose a winner? Well, too bad the Phil 3 wasn't available before I spent new-car money on the Salon 2.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, in other words, they're all so good it's difficult to choose a winner? Well, too bad the Phil 3 wasn't available for I spent new-car money on the Salon 2.
Exactly. I think it is extremely difficult to honestly pick a winner if you are 100% unbiased. If you throw out bias, fanboys, specs, reviews, status, price, size, aesthetics, it is extremely difficult to pick among these world class speakers.

If this were a sport, we are going into overtime!

The Salon2 are more than just world class speakers, though. They are "statement" speakers.:D ;)

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
You are making it really hard to choose between the Philharmonics and the CBT36's.

D

Docks

Audioholic
Few questions.
Just wanted to start off by saying this speaker looks very interesting.

Where does this neo8 crossover with the woofer? The neo8 rolls off pretty quickly before it could meet the woofer at a reasonable freq.
http://www.renatogiussani.it/varie/Audioplay/News/TMA-1/BG Neo8.pdf

How is power handling? Does running the neo8 low/woofer higher present any issues? Specifically around 700-1200z

Lower bass - does it have the type of authority salons do? Or where do you suggest crossing a sub?

Give that woofer cabinet a good solid knock then see how it compares to your salon2s. What thickness of mdf was used?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Few questions.

Where does this neo8 crossover with the woofer? The neo8 rolls off pretty quickly before it could meet the woofer at a reasonable freq.

How is power handling? Does running the neo8 low/woofer higher present any issues? Specifically around 700-1200z

Lower bass - does it have the type of authority salons do? Or where do you suggest crossing a sub?

Give that woofer cabinet a good solid knock then see how it compares to your salon2s. What thickness of mdf was used?
Dennis is the man to answer these questions, but here is a link to the measurements he's taken of the speaker in question:

philharmonicaudio.com

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How is power handling?

Dennis can answer most of your questions.

But I can try a few.

I'm using a Denon 3310 to power the Phil3, which are 5 ohm speakers, although most manufacturers would claim 6 ohm nominal. No sweat at all playing 93dBC (from 3 meters away in a 15' x 17' x 15 ceiling room).

The Phil3 bass won't match the Salon2. It will still shake the walls and vibrate my Lounger chairs. But even the Salon2 will need subwoofers for some music and especially movies.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Few questions.

I better answer the factual questions--I think you're focusing on the wrong set of factory measurements. The first set is for the driver working alone without a baffle. The second set shows the response in a baffle--the lower end comes up significantly with baffle loading. All of the Philharmonics are crossed to the woofer at around 600 Hz using 4th order acoustic slopes. That means the Neo is already about 6 dB down at 600 Hz. This is well within the operating capabilities for the driver. There shouldn't be any power handling issues. I've attached the filtered response of a Neo8 in the Philharmonic 3. Unlike a lot of heavy-duty aluminum woofers, the pulp-cone Scan Revelator operates smoothly well beyond the 600 Hz crossover point. The bass cabinet is extensively braced, which is more important than the thickness of the mdf (which is 3/4" on the sides and back, 1" on the front). The two mdf partitions that form the folded transmission line brace the cabinet from side-to-side, and there are additional braces between the front baffle and the first mdf partition, and between the back and the second mdf partition. The top cabinet is also braced, and isolated from the woofer cabinet by sorbothane feet resting on a dampening pad. I've played cannon shots at high volume, and have been unable to feel any vibrations from the bass cabinet with my hands on the upper cabinets.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis