Connecting to computer to tv.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I'm thinking it's time to get rid of cable. I have been looking at Apple tv, boxee box, etc,.. I'm wondering though if I should buy a laptop or desktop and use that instead of the other media servers. My reasoning is that it seems having something with a browser would give me more access to more media.

I would use my tv as a monitor via hdmi. Would it be as simple as connecting the hdmi cable to the tv from the computer? Am I missing something? Are there other options to consider?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Barry

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Barry,

I hook up my MacBooks to my TV using HDMI cables with no problems. So, yes, it can be that simple. I can't say if a computer is the best option for you, but I wanted to let you know that it is easy to hook up (at least, mine were).

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
Make sure whatever you getting has an HDMI out interface on the video card. If it is a DVI style output, you will need a DVI to HDMI adapter.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
If it has a DVI interface, it does NOT support HDCP. Also if you hook up HDMI to a DVI --> HDMI adapter, the HDMI cable will NOT carry audio signal over the HDMI. Long story short, just get something with HDMI output and you shouldn't have any headaches.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If it has a DVI interface, it does NOT support HDCP.
While I agree with your conclusion that he should get something with a HDMI output, it is not correct to say that DVI outputs will not support HDCP. It is very common for DVI to support HDCP, but it is not manadatory as it is with HDMI connections. I would expect that at this point the majority of DVI connections do support HDCP.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still trying to decide what to do. I'll do some more research on media players.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
My wife made a good point. If we get rid of cable, we lose the DVR capability. Now I'm thinking that I could get a new video card with HDMI and a long HDMI cord and run that to my tv and use Windows Media Center for the DVR. This would be cheaper than a new lap/desktop, but a little more expensive than a media streamer.

Any suggestions on a card? Or should I still consider a media server?

Thanks.

Barry

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You can also use a TV tuner in your PC (like you mentioned) and then stream it to a media server. I do that with my PC and my PS3 using PS3 Media Server software (free). I don't know if other media servers can use that same software, but it detects my TV (but my TV is a year too old to support it).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Make sure you buy from a place that allows free returns just in case it doesn't work. :D

Like Amazon direct or local Best Buy, etc.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Barry,

I hook up my MacBooks to my TV using HDMI cables with no problems. So, yes, it can be that simple. I can't say if a computer is the best option for you, but I wanted to let you know that it is easy to hook up (at least, mine were).
Thanks Adam. Do you hook up directly to the tv or go through your receiver?

A friend brought me an HD antennae today. We hooked it up and it works great.
But...
I forgot that I would need a toslink since there is no HDMI out on the tv. I was surprised at how much the speakers in the tv didn't suck. Tomorrow will be getting surround sound through the toslink and playing with Netflix (30 day free trial).

Still looking for that perfect box. Wants: Hulu, not Hulu Plus, would prefer something with a browser for internet content I choose, not chosen for me.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I hook up my 2006 MacBook to my TV using HDMI for video and to my receiver using toslink for audio - that's because the display port on that MB doesn't support audio. I hook up my 2011 MacBook directly to my receiver using HDMI for audio and video.

Over-the-air HD is great, isn't it? :)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I hook up my 2011 MacBook directly to my receiver using HDMI for audio and video.

Over-the-air HD is great, isn't it? :)
Okay, good. I was hoping this was the answer. I'm really leaning towards a lap/desktop instead of a 'media streamer'.

Yes. I was very surprised at the PQ and you can't beat the price.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, I'm making myself a little crazy trying to figure this out.

Wants: A solid (reliable) replacement for cable, maybe not a full 'internet experience' but would like to use tv as pc monitor, would prefer wired option.

Also, trying to do this as cheap as possible. Is there a way I can run a wire from my current desktop, that doesn't have an hdmi out, to the tv? Is there an USB to HDMI adapter? If there is such a cable, where would it come out of the computer?
Does anyone use Windows Media Center as a DVR or streamer (on their tv)? Anyone use Tversity or Serviio?

TVersity - Home

Serviio media server

Maybe I should just stop mucking about and get a laptop and be done with it..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Barry

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
From looking at that page, I can't say for sure if you'd be able to stream to it using PS3 Media Server. The reason is that is says that it's DNLA certified for JPEG images only - and it doesn't mention video streaming. I'm not in a position at the moment to download the manual and check through it, but you can see if it can stream video over a network connection.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
From looking at that page, I can't say for sure if you'd be able to stream to it using PS3 Media Server. The reason is that is says that it's DNLA certified for JPEG images only - and it doesn't mention video streaming. I'm not in a position at the moment to download the manual and check through it, but you can see if it can stream video over a network connection.
I appreciate the thought but that's not necessary.

I'm researching laptops now. I think it's the easiest and best solution for what I'm trying to do.

D

DrBoost

Audiophyte
I hook my PC to my TV via S-Video and I love it. My connection isn't good enough to take advantage of HD anyway.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I hook my PC to my TV via S-Video and I love it. My connection isn't good enough to take advantage of HD anyway.
Thanks! I ended up with an Apple Mac Mini hooked via HDMI, and I'm loving it.

N

nezz621

Audiophyte
Thanks Adam. Do you hook up directly to the tv or go through your receiver?

A friend brought me an HD antennae today. We hooked it up and it works great.
But...
I forgot that I would need a toslink since there is no HDMI out on the tv. I was surprised at how much the speakers in the tv didn't suck. Tomorrow will be getting surround sound through the toslink and playing with Netflix (30 day free trial).

Still looking for that perfect box. Wants: Hulu, not Hulu Plus, would prefer something with a browser for internet content I choose, not chosen for me.
I second this, Hd antennae rock for the money and look great on my HTPC!!! depending on where you live, its the perfect alternative to expensive cable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis