HTCP for Movie Playback only

ooooops wrong thread

Last edited:
KeithL

KeithL

Audioholics Approved Vendor
Some things to think about with HTPCs

Here are a few more things to think about when choosing an HTPC:

If you buy a laptop with an HDMI output, and you plan to sometimes use the laptop itself to view movies (when you're watching by yourself), then you should try and get a laptop with a REAL native 1920x1080 screen (HD).
Most medium-priced laptops do NOT have this - they usually have some lower resolution on-board screen. While the picture looks OK by itself, this causes some issues. First, it isn't as good as a real 1920x1080 screen for full quality HD content. Second, you are asking the laptop to switch video resolutions when it goes between its own screen and the HDMI output, which sometimes results in one or the other getting stretched or fuzzy as the scaling tries to accommodate both. It makes much more sense to spend a bit more and get a laptop whose native resolution is the same as the HDMI output - 1920 x 1080.

Second, SOME video cards are able to send the audio out with the HDMI (on the HDMI wire) without requiring a separate audio wire. This is what TVs and pre/pros expect and it makes setup easier. I believe MOST ATI video cards can do this, while very few other brands do. With so many choices of a graphics card (on a desktop machine), it makes sense to pick one that has this capability since it makes things much simpler. It also makes sense to try and find a laptop that does this.

KeithL

KeithL

KeithL

Audioholics Approved Vendor
USB to HDMI

There are indeed all sorts of devices that will go from USB to HDMI. What you're looking for is a "USB Video Card" with an HDMI output. They sell for anywhere from about $30 UP... way up. When choosing one, read the reviews very carefully, as the quality seems to vary quite widely. Note that the bandwidth of USB is somewhat limited so you're probably NOT going to get full quality at full resolution, but you might get something that looks decent. (And, as you might expect, you plug it into the USB port.)

If you have a desktop machine, you probably would be much better simply buying a new graphic card with an HDMI output. Virtually all desktops let you replace the video card (or add a second one), and prices start pretty cheap... again, read reviews and pick one that works well.

Yes, a nice new laptop would be a very easy way to get what you want.

Incidentally, many older laptops have an S-Video output. This is basically a fancy variation on composite video. (It looks sort of like the old small round mouse and keyboard connectors). If you have an old laptop with one of those, you can get a passive (and cheap) "S-Video-to-composite adapter cable" for about $20 that will let you connect it to a more common composite input. The quality is about even with a good VHS tape - OK but not great.... but the price is right.

Okay, I'm making myself a little crazy trying to figure this out.

Wants: A solid (reliable) replacement for cable, maybe not a full 'internet experience' but would like to use tv as pc monitor, would prefer wired option.

Also, trying to do this as cheap as possible. Is there a way I can run a wire from my current desktop, that doesn't have an hdmi out, to the tv? Is there an USB to HDMI adapter? If there is such a cable, where would it come out of the computer?
Does anyone use Windows Media Center as a DVR or streamer (on their tv)? Anyone use Tversity or Serviio?

TVersity - Home

Serviio media server

Maybe I should just stop mucking about and get a laptop and be done with it..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Barry

N

nickisgame69

Audiophyte
Just use PLAiR. PLAiR. It lets you do exactly what you want to do without the HDMI cable. Its pretty neat. I own one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis