Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know you're joking, but I wonder how versatile these speakers are? Can they keep up with my musical tastes. I can go from Muddy Waters to Metalica. You know Abba to Zevon. Motown to Mozart, all within a few hours. Did Dennis build these speakers with a specific type of music in mind?

I can feel ADTGuy's slap on the back of my head for asking this, but, do all versions of the Phil's have matching centers?
I think any of these speakers can play just about any kind of music just fine. Just don't expect them to play the LFE in a movie soundtrack.

Your SM450 (which at one point I also had 4 of them:D) are very nice, though.

But I know you still have that upgrade itch. :D

Imagine two large 120lbs 48" high BP7001SC for your front left & right like DenPureSound is imagining.:eek:

Or to start all over from scratch and get all Philharmonic speakers and sell all your DefTech to DenPureSound for a sweet price.:eek::D

Decisions decisions. :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
That sounds like the same stuff I listen to. Considering Dennis designed the crossovers for the Salk speakers I have, I'd say yes, they'll keep up just fine (I have the SongTower's which use much smaller woofers).

They don't all have matching centers yet, but he'll make them for you if requested. I know he's working on a center for the Fountek tweeter right now.
Right--it's designed. I just have to get the cabinets. I'm sharing them with someone who will be selling them in Taiwan. That was the only way I could make the minimum order requirement. I know at least one of you has wondered whey there weren't more reviews of the Philharmonics. I was kind of wondering about that myself. I got extremely enthusiastic responses, but I just concluded that the buyers didn't frequent or participate in forums. The actual explanation is that all of the early buyers were very serious audio enthusiasts who have owned or currently owned a wide variety of excellent speakers. They wanted to live with the Philharmonics and really make sure they had taken their measure. Between the AVS and Audio Circle reviews, I think a total of 4 buyers have reported in. And hopefully the most recent buyers will also report in pro or con. I know how important that kind of feedback is when you are considering a blind purchase.

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
The actual explanation is that all of the early buyers were very serious audio enthusiasts who have owned or currently owned a wide variety of excellent speakers. They wanted to live with the Philharmonics and really make sure they had taken their measure.
I remember in 2004 when I bought a Salk HT1 from Jim. I was planning to write a brief review of them after I had them for a year. After six months Jim contacted me and wanted me to write a review at audioreviews.com. I told him that I would but just give me six more months. He finally talked me into a rash publication. LOL

Now that I will get to hear my friend’s Philharmonic 2s in a couple of weeks I have already written most of the review. I am so confident of what I will hear that based on other comments and my own SoundScapes I think I know what I will hear. It will be fun to see how close I come. I hope I won’t have to rewrite the whole thing. LOL

Bob

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Good morning Bob,

Yep, I think I could take the previous review and change a few songs and write it now, but not as elequently as so mentioned before.

The last review really generated a lot of interest, so we do need others. I have heard all but the 2s, but Dennis assured me they are pretty much the same as the 3s without the banging bass...:eek: Also at CAF I heard those lovely SSs and was mesmerized!

I have bought several things sightunseen and unheard (like the CAOW1s), and reviews are very important as we all cannot hear/see everything for ourselves! And, when I heard the the first 5 notes that came out of the Songtowers, I looked no further as I knew this sound signature was the best of all I have heard.

Being one of the fortunate ones who has heard the phils really makes me excited and that is why I keep posting to insure Dennis is rightfully represented (as if he needed that he he). And, to let everyone know the meticulous detail and consuming efforts that go into his wonderful designs.

And, around the first of the year I can experience my 2s and, of course the philharmonitor 2s!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now that I will get to hear my friend’s Philharmonic 2s in a couple of weeks I have already written most of the review.

Bob
Hmmm, I don't think you are supposed to write most of the review BEFORE you actually listen to them.:eek:

Remember, we want to be as OBJECTIVE as possible.:D

Unless "most of the review" means talking about which songs and electronics you will be using.:D

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Good morning Bob,

Yep, I think I could take the previous review and change a few songs and write it now, but not as elequently as so mentioned before.
I didn’t mean that I will write what others have said. I am just writing about my SoundScapes and factoring in that Dennis said that he liked the BG as much as the Accuton. I also factored that the bass is much less extensive and more efficient. Strange that Stercom on Audio Circle had already made comments similar to what I had already written! LOL

Also at CAF I heard those lovely SSs and was mesmerized!
Maybe I will have to tone down some of the good stuff I have written. :D

Bob

Last edited:
F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Hmmm, I don't think you are supposed to write most of the review BEFORE you actually listen to them.:eek:

Remember, we want to be as OBJECTIVE as possible.:D

Unless "most of the review" means talking about which songs and electronics you will be using.:D
Yep, I haven’t mentioned much about how individual songs sounded. I just wrote some general stuff. I can edit out anything that is different. Everybody has expectations on what they will get. I just wrote them down. I will not have anything that I don't think that others might not be able to hear in similar circumstances. Or, at least, that is my intention! LOL

Bob

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Ha Ha!!! I was reading some of the comments when the word was out about Philharmonicaudio.com on a DIY forum and thinking if Dennis was going to get the BIG head, he would have already done so!

But, of course, this is all about concise reviews on a product so that it can help others make an intelligent decision.

So, I don't think toning down would matter now as I am sure you would only speak the truth and that is what we all want to hear!!! :D

Hard to get around descriptive words like what the reviewer said.....airy, extremely smooth, free of grain, without harsh edges, great articulation and clarity, just to mention a few.

I would probably have to run to the thesaurus and dig to find something different!

So please don't tone down the "good stuff"....let 'r' rip:eek:

I will very much like to hear your contribution!

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Ha Ha!!! I was reading some of the comments when the word was out about Philharmonicaudio.com on a DIY forum and thinking if Dennis was going to get the BIG head, he would have already done so!

But, of course, this is all about concise reviews on a product so that it can help others make an intelligent decision.

So, I don't think toning down would matter now as I am sure you would only speak the truth and that is what we all want to hear!!! :D

Hard to get around descriptive words like what the reviewer said.....airy, extremely smooth, free of grain, without harsh edges, great articulation and clarity, just to mention a few.

I would probably have to run to the thesaurus and dig to find something different!

So please don't tone down the "good stuff"....let 'r' rip:eek:

I will very much like to hear your contribution!
Thanks!

Being a retired engineer, I am not much into adjectives. They are usually too subjective but I still use them some. I am not above describing an emotional reaction that I got. :eek:

Bob

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I didn’t mean that I will write what others have said. I am just writing about my SoundScapes and factoring in that Dennis said that he liked the BG as much as the Accuton. I also factored that the bass is much less extensive and more efficient. Strange that Stercom on Audio Circle had already made comments similar to what I had already written! LOL

Maybe I will have to tone down some of the good stuff I have written. :D

Bob
Would you mind linking Stercom's post? Thank you!

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Brandon, at one point I was looking to the threads for something or someone to tell me no, but there isn't any nos to find.

Price/quality.....top notch, just can't beat it!!!:rolleyes: For myself I only need the satin black finish to match our furniture, so the decision was easy for me.

And come January, I'll bet there will be many more reviews to drewl over and a first on the Philharmonitor 2s!:D

ADTG, listening to great music through great speakers driven with great equipment can and will bring tears to one's eyes!!:eek:

Bob, I am an artist, (bet you didn't know) ;), so when it comes to my opinion on something, particular a speaker review, then I have no choice but to act creatively, thus many, many adjectives.

Afterall, IMHO, isn't listening all about......well.....just about "everything"!!!

And "everything" is just not all there when critiquing speakers!

So, what I am saying is my review will have to be taken just as it is "my review"!:eek:

That's scarey;)

Last edited by a moderator:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for posting that review. Man is Audiocircle one kooky site. Replacing jumper cables... :rolleyes: this is what Dennis gets for putting them outside the box. :D

Man, I wish I could afford Phil 2s. Hey Nuance, I'll donate $500 to your fund, if you donate $1100 to mine :D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Thanks for posting that review. Man is Audiocircle one kooky site. Replacing jumper cables... :rolleyes: this is what Dennis gets for putting them outside the box. :D

Man, I wish I could afford Phil 2s. Hey Nuance, I'll donate $500 to your fund, if you donate $1100 to mine :D
LOL :) I suspect we will both have our day soon.

I can't wait for your review, Robert! I'm so excited for you pal!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, listening to great music through great speakers driven with great equipment can and will bring tears to one's eyes!!:eek:

...I am an artist...
Well, that explains it.:D

That ain't no stinking tears in my eyes; it's an eye lash!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audiocircle one kooky site. Replacing jumper cables... :rolleyes: this is what Dennis gets for putting them outside the box. :D
I need to replace those slow jumper cables and install some fast Kimber Kable as soon as I get my Philharmonic 3.:D

And to further enhance the sound, I need to replace my ATI AT3002 amp with the $8000 300WPC Lexicon amp. Oh wait, they are the same amp.:eek:

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I need to replace those slow jumper cables and install some fast Kimber Kable as soon as I get my Philharmonic 3.:D

And to further enhance the sound, I need to replace my ATI AT3002 amp with the $8000 300WPC Lexicon amp. Oh wait, they are the same amp.:eek:
HAHA - nice. Too funny.:)

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Well, I guess that explains it.....

Hummmm, guess that is why I like quality sound reproduction as music is an ART!!!:D And so much emotion goes into music, and speaker design and cabinetry:)!

Well, Dennis is leaving today, so I wonder if we will hear from him until he returns. But, when he does, I will pick those Phils up......:D

And, yes, Brandon I am finally getting my perfect speaker. I think it has been forever that I have been researching. Being fortunate to have heard them makes it easier. Be assured the review will be forthcoming!!!;)

Found this quote from Paul K. sometime ago, found to be encouraging reading......

...... "I really enjoyed designing the TLs for Dennis' creations. We worked together over several months and we're both very much satisfied with the outcomes. We tried out several different woofers before settling on the SB 8" for the Models 1 and 2, and the SS 8" for the Model 3. John Atkinson of Stereophile Magazine saw and heard the Model 3 at the Capital Audio Fest the same weekend as MWAF, and he had high praise, especially considering their list price."
Paul

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis