W

westcott

Audioholic General
Congratulations on all the new hardware. I especially like the new A/V rack. You will have to give us a review of the Oppo compared to your old player too. I am glad someone's Holiday came early this year!!!!

P.S. Thanks for the laughs. I enjoyed the video.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations on all the new hardware. I especially like the new A/V rack. You will have to give us a review of the Oppo compared to your old player too. I am glad someone's Holiday came early this year!!!!

P.S. Thanks for the laughs. I enjoyed the video.:D
Thanks! I made that video from older photos, so that was an early holiday...in 2009. :eek: :D It was a heck of an upgrade, though!

That rack came from Best Buy, and it was a good deal at the time. I forget how much it cost, but something like $150, maybe. It's nice and sturdy, and I like the open-air aspect. The metal and glass are a nice combination. Contrary to what I thought, though, it actually isn't much easier to get to connections on the back of components versus my older rack, though.

I use the Oppo for SACDs and DVD-As. Since it's the first player that I've had that can play SACDs, there's no comparison. For DVD-As, it can send the signal over HDMI, and that is a huge improvement over my older Panasonic player that decoded the audio and sent it out over multi-channel analog cables (both in convenience and sound quality - a huge improvement in sound quality). As for DVDs, I can't see any difference in video quality between it and my Panasonic blu-ray player (DMP-BD60), and the Panasonic has a better user interface, IMO. One thing that I do love about the Oppo and DVDs is that it does a good job playing PAL discs and it was easy to make it all-region, so I can play some discs from the UK that I have (and also Japan, but those are NTSC).

Hmmm. I might just listen to some SACDs today... :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You think DVD-A sounds better over HDMI than the 6 channel analog outs? Oh, but that's comparing two players though. The real test would be to compare the HDMI -vs- 6 channel analog outs on the Oppo ... but that's work.

... and even then you would be comparing the DAC's in your rec'r to the Oppo's and you would probably forgo the BM capabilities in your rec'r by going with 6 channel in but what the hell am I doing typing this nonsense when I should be wasting my day in a different way. :rolleyes: :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, someone really has been paying attention. :)

I left out the DAC discussion in my earlier post due to length, but yes - I believe it's due to that. My previous DVD-A player was a Panasonic five-disc carousel player that cost about $130 retail. Absolutely great player for DVDs, and a steal at the price, but not super sweet for DVD-A.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm pretty sure my Denon DVD 1920 smokes my Panny DMP-BD60 for DVD video and for any kind of audio and certainly for nifty features like turning back on right where I left off and the one glitchy thing it does is known and easily avoidable. It also servers as my usage relief for the Panny which periodically makes little tractor type noises on start up. I need one of them current Oppos that you should buy because I'm hoping to need help setting it up in some distant future.

Enjoy your new player. Let me know when you get it.
I'm sure you're gonna love it. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Enjoy your new player. Let me know when you get it.
I'm sure you're gonna love it. :)
Ha! Never gonna happen, my friend. $500 for a blu-ray player isn't worth it to me. Hopefully they've progressed their menu system beyond the 80's Atari era, though. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I need one of them current Oppos that you should buy because I'm hoping to need help setting it up in some distant future.
Right, it's the BDP-95 for you then, sir. Fine choice. May I compliment you on your uncompromising taste? :D
Ah, I think it is I who should compliment you on your uncompromising taste. :p Don't worry, man. I can always download the manual to walk you through it. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Although I have zero reason for one, I'm tempted to get another PC-13 Ultra.

Darn this forum. It gets my A/V-buying juices flowing.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

Wait until you get it. You'll see that you were wrong about not needing it. Get you some Grammas too. :)

... and a bigger TV

... to go with the Oppo

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

i open this thread looking for new pics ... 30 posts back and still no new gear pics!?

hit that order button!

seriously though, the new pc13 has a 16hz tuning vs your bash's 15hz tuning. and no more 10hz mode.

that said, the DSP thing on them new amps really squeeze out the performance out of the subwoofer.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
i open this thread looking for new pics ... 30 posts back and still no new gear pics!?

hit that order button!

seriously though, the new pc13 has a 16hz tuning vs your bash's 15hz tuning. and no more 10hz mode.

that said, the DSP thing on them new amps really squeeze out the performance out of the subwoofer.
He's too busy ordering knives, coffee, fruit, dog food, etc, to order anything relevant to AH'ers.:rolleyes:Plus, he's trying to perfect his video twister moves. ;) Finally, he's in hot pursuit of his 20,000th post.

All in all, he just has no time for such trivial nonsense as A/V gear. It's sad, really...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

+1

You'll need to buy 2 new ones so they match.:p

and so will I :( ...I thought about another PB12-Plus but they have the DSP amp now and they changed the look. While the new design looks fine I like the look of mine a lot better.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Really bud? YOu still have not pulled the trigger......ok enough of this I am revoking your Amazon card.Get your audio gear

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
well, I clicked on page 1 quite some number of hours ago and said to myself "self, there's no way you're going to sit here and read 78 pages of this thread."

but one thing lead to another and here I am. 3am and I feel somewhat accomplished. This was quite an entertaining thread. I dont get all the inside jokes since I'm pretty mew, but it's given me an idea of which members to watch out for :D

Hope you pick up a new sub soon, you need a bit more symmetry in front :cool:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
well, I clicked on page 1 quite some number of hours ago and said to myself "self, there's no way you're going to sit here and read 78 pages of this thread."

but one thing lead to another and here I am. 3am and I feel somewhat accomplished. This was quite an entertaining thread. I dont get all the inside jokes since I'm pretty mew, but it's given me an idea of which members to watch out for :D

Hope you pick up a new sub soon, you need a bit more symmetry in front :cool:
Adam will be pleased that he was able to suck another victim into his black hole. And, that lack of symmetry aligns well with his off-balance mental state.:D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan

Alas, if only Amazon sold the PC-13 Ultra it would be delivered and hooked up by now.;)

Although, if SVS offered a free box of veggie corn dogs with every Ultra purchase, you might find it an irresistible offer.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis