cat proofing speaker grills

S

ssaeed

Audiophyte
I would like to cat proof my new paradigm studio 60 grills. one of my cats loves to scratch my current Klipsch grill and I've had to replace it once already. I just ordered a extra large scratching post for it in the hopes that it will be more attracted to the post than my speakers.

To be on the safe side, I was wondering if it would be possible to build a metal grill to attach a few mm in front of the speaker grill to prevent the claws from digging into the grill cloth. Has anyone done something similar? I see that one can order metal mesh with various opening sizes on the web...how difficult would it be to shape it to the curve of the speaker grill?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Declaw the cat.:D

Maybe you could try keeping the old grill and put it somewhere inviting for the cat to scratch?

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Wife found cat strips at Bed Bath and Beyond....very thin double sided clear tape....outer sticky side discourages cat from contact....works great and a few strips on grill cloth wont affect sound....also made to peel off easily and not mark furniture with tape residue....has worked great for my sub and expensive upholstery...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can buy perforated metal material designed specifically for speakers from a number of places. Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components

If you don't have access to a metal shop and/or the type of tools you'll need, then DIY probably isn't going to work. Have someone fabricate them if that's what you want, but I'd seek other methods of cat deterrent like a squirt bottle. My cats steer clear of my speakers for the most part.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
My cats steer clear of my speakers for the most part.
Yea, I have a cat who loves to scratch everything, except for my speakers.

Do you need to have the grilles on? I would just leave them off if you don't have kids or college students around :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I've had cats, many times multiple cats, for about forty years. Many are "rescue cats" dumped on us by our vet. They never go out and are well cared for and well loved. The two things we require is they use te litter box and sacrifice their claws.

They don't seem to mind making those sacrifices so we can have nice things and they can have a nice life.

But, hey, they're your speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yea, I have a cat who loves to scratch everything, except for my speakers.
I have one who was sitting on my sub (only when off :D ). I stacked some movies on top and problem solved.

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
This doesn't really help to answer your original question, but keep a spray bottle with water close at hand - the cat will learn pretty quickly there are undesired consequences for going near your 60's!

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
+1 for the double sided tape and the extra large scratching post. My girl is pretty big, 15lbs. and muscular. Half Maine Coon. I had to get this and the double sided tape to keep her from scratching the couch.

3832 #3832 Ultimate Scratching Post Detail Page

You could try to rig something on top of the speaker that would fall and make noise, but NOT HURT the cat when he/she scratched on the speaker.

Good luck

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I also find a can of compressed air works beautifully. Anytime they are around the speaker, give them a little Pssssst with it. They will very quickly get the hint and leave them alone even when you aren't around.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Originally Posted by cpp View Post
we just got rid of the cat. The dog went outside after it hiked it's leg on the speaker stand.

lsiberian
Dog was just marking his approval of said speakers[/QUOTE] oh he marked the stands all right, I'm just glad they weren't floor standing speakers.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Have you thought of attaching a few charged capacitors to the grills?

(scratch... meeeeeeeeyyyyyooooooooooowwwwww.....)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis