Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
To be honest, if I were the owner of a pair of beautiful SongTower ribbons, I would want to hear the 2's before making any decisions. The midrange of the ST's is very special. You might or might not prefer the open back mids of the
2's. And since I know you're running the Subwoofer from Hell, the slightly greater bass extension of the 2's wouldn't matter. The RAAL is a nicer unit than the LCY ribbon, but it's the sort of difference that might be more apparent on an instant A-B comparison than in unassisted listening.
I've never had the pleasure of hearing the RAALs, but given the price point I'd expect nothing less.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
LOL, it sure is. :)

Thanks for your honesty, Dennis. I still can't get the RAAL sound out of my head, plus I keep hearing that little voice saying "what if?" :) I have some thinking to do. Maybe I'll wait until my tax return comes, then attend AK Fest (if you'll be present) and hear them for myself. That is if there are any Phil's left.
I hope to make it out to AKFest. The rooms are pretty small, so I'm not sure how friendly they will be to open-back speakers, but you should be able to get a pretty good idea.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I've never had the pleasure of hearing the RAALs, but given the price point I'd expect nothing less.
They are oh so sweet! The "stairway to heaven" analogy comes to mind; they are just so pure and keep going and going and going forever...

I hope to make it out to AKFest. The rooms are pretty small, so I'm not sure how friendly they will be to open-back speakers, but you should be able to get a pretty good idea.
This brings up a good topic for me: the room. Unfortunately my room is only 12 feet wide. That will change next Spring when I move the Laundry Room wall 5 feet in, as there is way too much space in there; this will effectively bump my width to around 17 feet, give or take, but what about listening until that project is complete? I have my Salk's 38 inches off the back wall (measuring from the back of the speaker, not the baffles), and 29 inches off side walls. Is that too small of a room to fully appreciate the Phil 2's? I do have treatments in place and plan to order the bass traps before Christmas.

In short, will the difference be negligible due to the room, or will I reap the benefits of the Phil 2's if I go ahead and order them before the construction begins?

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Philly I and II cabinets are due in tomorrow keeping my fingers crossed and toes!!!!!!!!:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Woohoo!!! Congrats, Robert!
Thanks, Brandon, the drivers have been ordered for the Monitor IIs, so hopefully I can pick them up....maybe next weekend, if all goes well with the cabinet delivery on Friday.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I would love to hear the RAAL Ribbon tweeter, and have a comparison to the Axially Stabilized Radiator (ASR) Silk Dome Tweeter, in the Aperion VGT's... BTW - just as the plot shows the ASR does not reach up to 20khz., and my wife is missing that Zing AIRY stuff so she says so far, mids are there, and don't worry about the bottom end w/ the dual subs bringing up the rear (no pun intended).

DM, I am sure you can explain the diffs. between the two tweets.. :)

Cheers,
Dennis

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I would love to hear the RAAL Ribbon tweeter, and have a comparison to the Axially Stabilized Radiator (ASR) Silk Dome Tweeter, in the Aperion VGT's... BTW - just as the plot shows the ASR does not reach up to 20khz., and my wife is missing that Zing AIRY stuff so she says so far, mids are there, and don't worry about the bottom end w/ the dual subs bringing up the rear (no pun intended).

DM, I am sure you can explain the diffs. between the two tweets.. :)

Cheers,
Dennis
I know nothing. I am not axially stabilized.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
To be honest, if I were the owner of a pair of beautiful SongTower ribbons, I would want to hear the 2's before making any decisions. The midrange of the ST's is very special. You might or might not prefer the open back mids of the
2's. And since I know you're running the Subwoofer from Hell, the slightly greater bass extension of the 2's wouldn't matter. The RAAL is a nicer unit than the LCY ribbon, but it's the sort of difference that might be more apparent on an instant A-B comparison than in unassisted listening.
Hi Dennis, would you describe the difference between the mid of the ST and the phil2? I always thought that a design like the phil with an open creates an open, larger sounstage.
Thank you.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hi Dennis, would you describe the difference between the mid of the ST and the phil2? I always thought that a design like the phil with an open creates an open, larger sounstage.
Thank you.
Hi. The open back design of the Phil's performs best on source material with natural ambiance, like live recordings or really well recorded classical music. Studio mixes of popular music may contain virtually none of this, and on material like that a closed back design may provide more presence and detail and be preferred by a lot of people. Fortunately, the speaker market is so competitive that there's something out there for just about anybody.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Hi. The open back design of the Phil's performs best on source material with natural ambiance, like live recordings or really well recorded classical music. Studio mixes of popular music may contain virtually none of this, and on material like that a closed back design may provide more presence and detail and be preferred by a lot of people. Fortunately, the speaker market is so competitive that there's something out there for just about anybody.
Can't one simply stuff the back with poly on the Phil's to get that closed sound if desired? In that case you could have the best of both worlds, no?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Can't one simply stuff the back with poly on the Phil's to get that closed sound if desired? In that case you could have the best of both worlds, no?
Well, you would need to use some stuffing and close the rear completely with a solid backing. But you make a fair enough point. I would endorse it completely except that I haven't A-B'd the ST's and the Phil's in that configuration. I obviously need to.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Thank you, that sure gave me a better understanding about open back designs.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Well, you would need to use some stuffing and close the rear completely with a solid backing. But you make a fair enough point. I would endorse it completely except that I haven't A-B'd the ST's and the Phil's in that configuration. I obviously need to.
Could such a rear backing be made, and if so, at what cost increase? I would think having the option to open and close would be...well, perfect.

I would certainly love to get your impressions regarding the comparison of the midrange on these two speakers in such a configuration. Then again, I've heard the open-back midrange on the SoundScapes and would certainly choose it over my SongTower's, so if this even gets close... :)

S

Solid-State

Banned
.... actually, that just means you're both crazy :D

the Orion, I agree. It should really only cost around 6-7k. It's got great drivers and great electronics, but the overall construction is something I could do.

But the soundscape I can see easily costing what it costs, or even double.

The bass section alone is like 2" thick, and huge/overbuilt. The woofer is a custom USA-Built 12" unit with passive radiators so I can't imagine it being inexpensive. A comparable subwoofer would probably be around the 2k range as it is IE Funkywaves, and remember there's two pairs of soundscapes.

The midrange ain't cheap... it's an accuton. Then there's the die-cast midrange and tweeter portions of the cabinet. I can't do that at home.

And that 70-20XR tweeter alone costs like $2000+/pr to my knowledge. It's a RAAL, but it's not the same as the not inexpensive one dennis is using. It can play almost an octave lower.

Then throw in the most likely pricy crossover, even with cost effective / non snake oil components. Then add the furniture grade finish. I think the SS12 probably costs around 5-8k before construction, and then you need a ~40-50% markup to make up for all the labour spent on construction itself.

Salk is a business, and I don't think their markups are bad at all... Same with Seaton / JTR / Pre-huge-price hike Linkwitz.

$2000 for SongTowers
$2700 for SongTowers + RAAL
$4000 for Archos
$4300 for V3
$4500 for HT2-TL (with RAAL)
$6000 for HT3

I think all of the above are fantastic prices for custom made speakers. Dennis's Philharmonic prices are truly crazy in the realm of "DIY kit" pricing. I mean any sane company would sell these for twice the price at least, even with made in china cabinets.

9k for Pharos is a bit pricy, but look at the cabinet construction.

$16k for Soundscapes is expensive? Sure. It's a statement product. I think 40k for a pair of KEF Blades is way worse, even if a dealer hooked you up with discount. I think 75k for a pair of TADs is unbelievable. 180k for some Focal Grande Utopias? Ridiculous.

I don't get it. What do they need to realize exactly? Weren't the $22k pair Salons made in china with only one stock finish(maybe two)? If the Soundscapes or Orions sound more lifelike to someone than the Salons, while offering a custom finish (i think the regular salons finish is lame and would never buy it at those prices), how is that crazy?

Is this more or less a "Internet Direct companies have to be dirt cheap while brick and mortar companies can get away with whatever they want" assumption? There's companies like Ascend and EMP for "inexpensive" just like there's companies like Infinity and Pioneer. Companies like Salk, Seaton, Clearwave etc have a different niche that they're filling and I think they're doing it well.
I only wish GranteedEV I had the elegance to convey the exact same thought without ending up coming off wrong or insulting people inadvertently.

Very well put. I know my next speakers will be Phil 2s with Sierra Tower Center. They should work well together as they both use Raal even though the Ascend is using 70-20XR.

I can't believe I can purchase this level of performance for the dollar. I was going to build Statements or Clearwave Dynamics with 4CC but the price difference is very close to get Raal and it's winter now for shop work. Also my room has 20' vaulted ceilings and I hope the vertical dispersion characteristics will help in my room using ribbon tweet and planar mid.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I only wish GranteedEV I had the elegance to convey the exact same thought without ending up coming off wrong or insulting people inadvertently.

Very well put. I know my next speakers will be Phil 2s with Sierra Tower Center. They should work well together as they both use Raal even though the Ascend is using 70-20XR.

I can't believe I can purchase this level of performance for the dollar. I was going to build Statements or Clearwave Dynamics with 4CC but the price difference is very close to get Raal and it's winter now for shop work. Also my room has 20' vaulted ceilings and I hope the vertical dispersion characteristics will help in my room using ribbon tweet and planar mid.
Well, we each have our own opinion, and I disagree with GranteedEV on this.

I bet if we asked all the guys on AH if they would buy the Soundscape 12 for $16K or the Salon2 for $14K brand new, most guys would pick the Salon2. That's my opinion. :D

I'm sure the SS12 sounds great, but I seriously doubt it sounds better than the Orion, Salon2, Studio2(which you can get brand new for $10K) , or KEF 207/2 (which you can get brand new for $12K).

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpp View Post
Hey Grant, you need to drop $700.00 on a pair of RAAL 70-20XR at Canuck Audio. They have 5 pairs.

Raal 70-20XR Ribbon Tweeters - Canuck Audio Mart
That's way too much for a college student
I know I was there once but he would have to cut down on his fine ales or spirits for a few weeks to afford to get these. For his young ears I think it would be a good sacrifice. :D

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Well, we each have our own opinion, and I disagree with GranteedEV on this.

I bet if we asked all the guys on AH if they would buy the Soundscape 12 for $16K or the Salon2 for $14K brand new, most guys would pick the Salon2. That's my opinion. :D

I'm sure the SS12 sounds great, but I seriously doubt it sounds better than the Orion, Salon2, Studio2(which you can get brand new for $10K) , or KEF 207/2 (which you can get brand new for $12K).
You are right that they wouldn't compare to the SoundScape 12. You just got the order wrong. The SoundScape 12 is in a different league. Of course to judge you would have to have them both in the same system and properly set up. Since personal preferences are involved there would be some who might not choose the SS12.

Bob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis