Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Those should be sweet. How do the measurements look on them? :)
I don't have a complete set of measurements readily at hand, and they would be for the .5 cu ft cabinet in any event. All I have is the predicted on-axis response, which correlates pretty much perfectly with actual measured response. Any speaker with a relatively small front baffle and mounted on a stand will show a dip in the 500 Hz region. If there were more real estate underneath the woofer, that would go away. I would therefore speculate that the .75 cu ft version would be smoother in that region. But when I finish the .75 monitors, I'll publish a full set of mesurements. For what it's worth, here is the predicted response for the .5 cu ft cabinet.

Attachments

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
This thread slowed down, maybe I need to bring it back to life? :eek:

B

bluemax_1

Audiophyte
Dennis, a couple of questions about these if i may,

1) How loud can the PH3's play? I'm wondering if they're capable of Reference level playback for HT at about 10' away, or if I should keep my current speakers for HT and use these mainly for stereo music.

2) Approximately how long would it take to get a pair of these after ordering?

Thanks,
Max

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis, a couple of questions about these if i may,

1) How loud can the PH3's play? I'm wondering if they're capable of Reference level playback for HT at about 10' away, or if I should keep my current speakers for HT and use these mainly for stereo music.

2) Approximately how long would it take to get a pair of these after ordering?

Thanks,
Max
Hi Although the 3's are not particularly sensitive, they can play very loudly before distorting. So it comes down to a question of how much clean power you have at hand. At the same time, if your main use would be HT with a sub, then the Phil 2's make a lot more sense. They're more sensitive, the sound is identical to the 3's above 32 Hz, you save $1000, and they can be delivered within 10 days of an order, whereas the 3's require 45 days.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
1) How loud can the PH3's play? I'm wondering if they're capable of Reference level playback for HT at about 10' away
Bear in mind that unless your room is padded down in absorption, no speaker is listenable at reference level SPLs. Any reverberant space will add an increased perception of loudness. You're best off not listening at reference levels even for HT.

B

bluemax_1

Audiophyte
Hi Although the 3's are not particularly sensitive, they can play very loudly before distorting. So it comes down to a question of how much clean power you have at hand. At the same time, if your main use would be HT with a sub, then the Phil 2's make a lot more sense. They're more sensitive, the sound is identical to the 3's above 32 Hz, you save $1000, and they can be delivered within 10 days of an order, whereas the 3's require 45 days.
Thanks for the advice. Is there a difference in how loud the 2's and 3's can play before distorting if they're crossed to subwoofers at 40hz? If not, it sounds like the 2's might be just the ticket then, as I will be using subs for HT (and possibly music as well depending).

As far as clean power goes, I'm currently running 3 Boston Acoustics E100's across the front for HT (and just the L&R for 2-channel music) and they're powered by Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks which put out 500 watts @ 8 ohms each and 1000 watts into a 4 ohm load (they're crossed over to the subs at 40hz). I'm assuming I shouldn't have a problem as far as power availability goes?

Maybe I need to just consider separate systems for 2-channel music vs HT, but the problem is, I have a guilty pleasure of liking musicals to go along with the typical indulgence in slam bang action movies and I really want speakers that can hit THX Reference levels and still sound sweet with music and the vocals in musicals.

To that end BTW, what would you recommend for a center channel if using the 2's (or 3's) for HT? Might you have any plans for a dedicated center channel that would be an ideal timbre match for the 2's and 3's with the RAAL tweeter and the same mid? Something that could be crossed to a sub at about 80hz?

Bear in mind that unless your room is padded down in absorption, no speaker is listenable at reference level SPLs. Any reverberant space will add an increased perception of loudness. You're best off not listening at reference levels even for HT.
I do have some room treatment to tame room modes, but it isn't acoustically dead by any means.

The vast majority of the time, I watch movies at about -10 to -15db from Reference 0 in a calibrated system, but I do on occasion, watch action movies at Reference 0, and I have a tendency to watch musicals (like Across The Universe, The Phantom Of The Opera etc.) at Reference, which is why the musicality (is that a word?) of the speakers is important.

Thanks for all the info and advice BTW,
Max

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thanks for the advice. Is there a difference in how loud the 2's and 3's can play before distorting if they're crossed to subwoofers at 40hz? If not, it sounds like the 2's might be just the ticket then, as I will be using subs for HT (and possibly music as well depending).

As far as clean power goes, I'm currently running 3 Boston Acoustics E100's across the front for HT (and just the L&R for 2-channel music) and they're powered by Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks which put out 500 watts @ 8 ohms each and 1000 watts into a 4 ohm load (they're crossed over to the subs at 40hz). I'm assuming I shouldn't have a problem as far as power availability goes?

Maybe I need to just consider separate systems for 2-channel music vs HT, but the problem is, I have a guilty pleasure of liking musicals to go along with the typical indulgence in slam bang action movies and I really want speakers that can hit THX Reference levels and still sound sweet with music and the vocals in musicals.

To that end BTW, what would you recommend for a center channel if using the 2's (or 3's) for HT? Might you have any plans for a dedicated center channel that would be an ideal timbre match for the 2's and 3's with the RAAL tweeter and the same mid? Something that could be crossed to a sub at about 80hz?

I do have some room treatment to tame room modes, but it isn't acoustically dead by any means.

The vast majority of the time, I watch movies at about -10 to -15db from Reference 0 in a calibrated system, but I do on occasion, watch action movies at Reference 0, and I have a tendency to watch musicals (like Across The Universe, The Phantom Of The Opera etc.) at Reference, which is why the musicality (is that a word?) of the speakers is important.

Thanks for all the info and advice BTW,
Max
Hi The 2's should play as loudly and cleanly as the 3's if crossed to a sub, although the Scan woofer in the 3's might do a little better than the SB Acoustics woof in the 2's if the crossover point is 40 Hz. At 60 Hz I don't think there would be any difference. I do have plans for a center channel, but it uses the Fountek, not the RAAL. In order to make the minimum order for the cabinets, I need to share the design with someone who will market them in Taiwan, and the Asian-built Fountek makes much more sense there. I also have a monitor with the Fountek that could be used as a center if your setup allows a vertically mounted cabinet. For a center, I'm not sure you would hear the difference between the RAAL and the Fountek, and the voicing is the same as the Philharmonic TL's.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do have plans for a center channel...I also have a monitor...
Dennis, you need to put the "center" and "surround" monitor speakers on your website with prices so some of us can make recommendations to other folks.:D

As you've said, the surround speakers don't need to have all those expensive drivers and big cabinets.

I think most people want a 5.1 HT system that can also play 2.0/2.1 extremely well.

The Phil1 or Phil2 + Center + Surround package would be nice.

But folks want some pictures and prices.:D

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Dennis, you need to put the "center" and "surround" monitor speakers on your website with prices so some of us can make recommendations to other folks.:D

As you've said, the surround speakers don't need to have all those expensive drivers and big cabinets.

I think most people want a 5.1 HT system that can also play 2.0/2.1 extremely well.

The Phil1 or Phil2 + Center + Surround package would be nice.

But folks want some pictures and prices.:D

ADTD....I'm getting nervous...getting the feeling Dennis, since we haven't heard from him, is busy in Santa's Studio Workshop buried in boxes, cones and wires.....we can hope!!!!

I am a little excited......EcStAtIc actually!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTD....I'm getting nervous...getting the feeling Dennis, since we haven't heard from him, is busy in Santa's Studio Workshop buried in boxes, cones and wires.....we can hope!!!!

I've gotten quite patient since my experience with getting the Linkwitz Orion3, Revel Salon2, and KEF 201/2. High-end speakers sure take a long time.:D

It seems the average time it takes to get my speakers is 3 months.:D

I got an email from Del saying that it's going to take some extra time. He is going to hand sand my cabinets to high-gloss finish, red stain the mahogany veneers, etc.

I told Del to take his time. I don't want Del or Dennis to rush my speakers.

They can take all the time and love they need before saying goodbye to their babies.:D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

The cabinets for the Phil 1's and 2's landed in New York last week. We got a message from the U.S. freight company responsible for unloading them, getting them through customs, and on a truck to Bethesda, saying that the container they were in had "settled" and the contents had to be unloaded and placed in another container. They said they would try to have everything at my door this Tuesday. I'm not sure what "settled" means, but I have my fingers crossed. Following a short trip to the emergency room after unloading and storing 100 boxes, I'll be whipping your 2's together. So hopefully you can pick up those and the .75 cu ft monitor in 10-12 days.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Whoohoo!!! But, Dennis, you know I am patient and what is more important is that you receive all of them in great condition and you stay in great condition as well.

And....be careful, a trip to the ER is not very exciting for people our age. He He!;)

Also, ADTG, Del does not and will not rush his work. I have work with furniture refinishing and repair and it cannot be rushed. I have been to Del's shop and it is extremely professional, neat, and clean.

So, you will definitely have a masterpiece work of art!!!

It is great to be working with professionals who care more about their products than becoming a millionaire!!! (That wouldn't be too bad either) Ha!!! Ha!!! Think I can speak for all of us who enjoy sharing their gifts with others.

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
This is the monitor taken with the Philly 3, (just a quick snapshot Dennis sent me) with the Fountek and the 7' Seas shown with the .5 cabinet.

The larger .75 cabinet is 17"H by 10" wide 14.5 deep and by itself is 24lbs, (I think).

I wanted the .75 cabinet for more bass.
Is it wrong to be physically attracted to a speaker? :eek::D Those look quite nice, Dennis!

Boy Dennis, I'll tell you what: I wish you had retired while I was still on my "speaker journey." I never thought I'd wonder "what if" after having my Salk's, but I've unfortunately arrived at that point. Go figured it's over another "Murphy" speaker (The Phil 2's). :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is it wrong to be physically attracted to a speaker? :eek::D Those look quite nice, Dennis!

Boy Dennis, I'll tell you what: I wish you had retired while I was still on my "speaker journey." I never thought I'd wonder "what if" after having my Salk's, but I've unfortunately arrived at that point. Go figured it's over another "Murphy" speaker (The Phil 2's). :cool:
Ah, so you seek the power of the RAAL ribbons in the hands of DMURPHY? :D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Ah, so you seek the power of the RAAL ribbons in the hands of DMURPHY? :D
LOL, I just may, I just may. I've been fortunate to hear the RAAL working it's magic in a couple Salk speakers, and I'm being honest when I say it was an unforgettable sound. Some people who've also heard said speakers say that the RAAL isn't that much of an improvement over the LCY ribbon, but I can't say I agree with that. I still cannot get the sound out of my head, and maybe Mr. Murphy's stupendously priced speaker offerings will cure that. Decisions, decisions. :)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

To be honest, if I were the owner of a pair of beautiful SongTower ribbons, I would want to hear the 2's before making any decisions. The midrange of the ST's is very special. You might or might not prefer the open back mids of the
2's. And since I know you're running the Subwoofer from Hell, the slightly greater bass extension of the 2's wouldn't matter. The RAAL is a nicer unit than the LCY ribbon, but it's the sort of difference that might be more apparent on an instant A-B comparison than in unassisted listening.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's kind of like buying a brand new car, but your relatives and friends are saying, "your old car is just as nice!":D

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
The RAAL is a nicer unit than the LCY ribbon, but it's the sort of difference that might be more apparent on an instant A-B comparison than in unassisted listening.
I am a little surprised to hear you say that. I would probably agree with you on most music. Judging from my Salk HT1’s G2 ribbon vs my SoundScape’s RAAL, the crystal clear soundstage of the RAAL sticks out dramatically on some songs.

Bob

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
It's kind of like buying a brand new car, but your relatives and friends are saying, "your old car is just as nice!":D
LOL, it sure is. :)

Thanks for your honesty, Dennis. I still can't get the RAAL sound out of my head, plus I keep hearing that little voice saying "what if?" :) I have some thinking to do. Maybe I'll wait until my tax return comes, then attend AK Fest (if you'll be present) and hear them for myself. That is if there are any Phil's left.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis