Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Based on my experience I would also think Salk & Philharmonic speakers are more alike then they are different.

It's hard for some people to agree with, but I think most very accurate audiophile speakers in general are more similar than they are different in their sound reproduction.
Agreed.... especially with Dennis being the one working the crossovers on both products...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Based on my experience I would also think Salk & Philharmonic speakers are more alike then they are different.
I was reading this post and this post just earlier. The parts that stood out, were

I listened to a number of $4000.00 plus speakers and was not found wanting.
It would be hard to tell the difference based on memory alone. (A\B is the best way to compare them)
When we sit down in our living room that doesn't have KEFs/Orions/Salons next to each other, how often do we A/B compare?

If a speaker is accurately voiced, free of significant resonance and has adequate BSC for a given room/placement, I think that we forget we're listening to speakers, obsessive compulsive audiophiles or not. I think there's 100s of speakers you could buy me and i'll plop them down and rarely complain about much. :D

As long as there's no coloration that we as individuals are familiar with enough to recognize offensively, instantly and consistantly, what it comes down to is not what's better, but just what we feel we can live with, and then sit down and order it. And then we enjoy waiting for it to come, and enjoy the way it looks and have fun setting it up and have fun placing it different locations trying to get some ultra deep ultra wide PICTURE perfect soundstage, and then crank it just once and probably never again, and then go back to life.

...and then we go online and get upgraditis anyways :D Unless you're swerd, the man devoid of upgraditis (Buddha).

I'd hate to get upgraditis after a pair of Soundscape 12s :eek: - then you'd really fall off the deep end and start ordering tube SET amps just because they're different. Or is that downgraditis?

Last edited:
woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Yep....Yep....that's me!

Don't think I will want to give up the Phillys! Getting some upgrades would be nice and I understand there are some, however, just guessing Dennis is not too keen on them.

But, I think, in most cases, he is succombs to the customer's request in creating their own magical audio ensemble.

I am glad buying speakers is not like buying an expresso machine and grinder then trying create the perfect expresso.:(

At least with Dennis there is a consistant musical presentation that is stunning and prevelant throughout his Philharmonic line!:rolleyes:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think there's a review loaner unit available for either the soundscape or the orions. Even if there was, stereophile has a criteria of being available in like 6 B&M dealers in U.S.A. so they don't review I.D. stuff anyways.

BTW:

Stereophile said:
The pairing was less than fortuitous, at least for CD. The presentation was rather gray and toned-down until the volume was turned up (which is not a good sign). Thankfully, with sufficient volume, the opening passages of Mahler's great Symphony No.2 began to take on color.
I personally think it IS a good sign. A speaker that sounds good at low volumes (IE lower than lifelike) is probably not balanced, and will fall apart if you turn the volume up, especially in a reverberant space. JMO. That said an amp should sound good at any volume and if an amp sounds "off" until you turn the volume up, is probably a poor design. I doubt the AVA stuff is poor at all though, so it sounds like a case of "guy wants musical nirvana at 60db". To that I say NO.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think there's a review loaner unit available for either the soundscape or the orions. Even if there was, stereophile has a criteria of being available in like 6 B&M dealers in U.S.A. so they don't review I.D. stuff anyways.

BTW:

I personally think it IS a good sign. A speaker that sounds good at low volumes (IE lower than lifelike) is probably not balanced, and will fall apart if you turn the volume up, especially in a reverberant space. JMO.
IOW Stereophile will only review speakers IF the company pays them lots of money for
advertisement.:D

Yeah, at low volume you might as well listen to music on YouTube. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When we sit down in our living room that doesn't have KEFs/Orions/Salons next to each other, how often do we A/B compare?
Good point. It's not all that easy to do.

Over the years, I've been to a number local area DIY speaker builders' meetings. They turned out to be very good for that kind of comparative listening. I also find most DIY builders are more open-minded than the average audio forum participant, and it's very easy to talk & learn about the various speakers we've heard.

...and then we go online and get upgraditis anyways :D Unless you're swerd, the man devoid of upgraditis (Buddha).
Worship – although appreciated – is not required :cool:. Cash is, however, accepted :rolleyes:.

What you describe as Buhhda-like, others might call cheap ;).

Just to show that "devoid of upgraditis" is not quite the correct description, since buying my 1st HT system nearly 12 years ago, I have built new crossovers for my old original JBL-100 speakers, added a 2-channel stand-alone amplifier, replaced the JBLs with SongTowers, replaced my old CRT TV with a new LCD TV, replaced my original Denon receiver with a used B&K receiver, and replaced my original DVD player with an inexpensive 1080p-converting type.

Just yesterday I finally ordered a SongCenter to go with my 4-year old SongTowers. Jim Salk has some STs and SCs cabinets already veneered in cherry waiting for buyers without the usual 2-month wait. So I jumped on it.

Once I get the new center speaker, the only remaining parts of my original HT system will be my old but still serviceable turntable (rarely used any more) and my NHT rear channel speakers. I do not plan on replacing them because they are small enough to easily mount on the wall.

If you get upgraditis after a pair of Soundscape 12s :eek: - then you have an incurable case of Audio Nirvana Nervosa, and there is no hope. You might as well start buying silver-plated speaker cables.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Don't think I will want to give up the Phillys! Getting some upgrades would be nice and I understand there are some, however, just guessing Dennis is not too keen on them.
ADTG is gonna hate me for this, but at some point, the biggest upgrade you can make is to shoot for a truly neutral/accurate ROOM. :p

It doesn't have to be dead (especially not for a stereo setup) but it should have consistent decay and bass trapping and optimal placement. It's true that good speakers sound good in most rooms, though. but if you can remove cues that you are "in a room", it's got its own advantages, and done correctly can be practical too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG is gonna hate me for this, but at some point, the biggest upgrade you can make is to shoot for a truly neutral/accurate ROOM. :p

It doesn't have to be dead (especially not for a stereo setup) but it should have consistent decay and bass trapping and optimal placement. It's true that good speakers sound good in most rooms, though. but if you can remove cues that you are "in a room", it's got its own advantages, and done correctly can be practical too.
Hopefully I will get a custom built house. Then I could build a better room.:D

In the mean time, I'm not holding my breath.:D

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
I wouldn't mind attending a speaker shoot-out with you two guys, bet you could go on and on and on!!!!:eek::D

I know I would be audio educated!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sell the Salons and you're 10% of the way there. :eek:

...which is scary.
Honestly I just don't see myself selling or buying anymore speakers after I get the Philharmonic 3.

I'll probably audition other speakers when I get a chance in Texas or California, though.:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
dang, I don't know about Canada, but that money isn't buying you a nice custom home in most (any?) of the US.
I was exaggerating :) Building a nice house these days is in the territory of around 600k+ :mad:

S

smwick

Enthusiast
I received some Big Fat Dots from Herbies Audio Lab today, 16 of them actually. I made two 1 inch thick Baltic Birch boards, one for across the front width of the speaker and one for across the back width. These boards are about two inches wide by a little less than the width of the inset area of the bass module. I then placed two big fat dots under the board, one at each end, then another one at each end on top of the board directly above the one thats under the board. That was a little confusing, I hope you are still following me. This was done for the front and back boards. The speaker was then placed on top of that set up. So, big fat dots then the board then big fat dots then the speaker on top of that. I painted the boards flat black so they blend well, as they can be seen a little. The top module now sits perfectly flat and is raised about a 1/4 inch higher than before. Still looks really good imo.

So how do they sound you say? I find there is more inner detail with better imaging with this set up. This is just my early first impressions, more critical listening to follow. These decoupling devices seem to be a better choice over the foam pad which comes with the speakers. Is the foam bad? No, not at all. It is just a little better with the big fat dots. The speaker is just as stable with this set up as well. The cost for 16 dots was $164.97 shipped. I'll try and get some photos posted up.

S

smwick

Enthusiast
I would like to post some pics but don't know how. I read the how to, but there is no pictures & albums link that I can find, in my control panel. ???

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
IOW Stereophile will only review speakers IF the company pays them lots of money for
advertisement.:D

Yeah, at low volume you might as well listen to music on YouTube. :D
Hey, YouTube is better than my HDTV, of course with my Altec Lansing speakers + subwoofer. :D

Don't forget where we started. :):eek:

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Honestly I just don't see myself selling or buying anymore speakers after I get the Philharmonic 3.

I'll probably audition other speakers when I get a chance in Texas or California, though.:D
Your Upgradis will kick in again soon, and then we will have to Intervene!! :):D

You heard it here first. Must be the pressure from your other half after seeing all those Big Towers, and cute sweet little Ref's there all lined up, like Penguins on an Iceberg. :D:eek:

The question is not when, but what ones go first? ;)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I was exaggerating :) Building a nice house these days is in the territory of around 600k+ :mad:
You better come South across that Border, where you can get a Really Nice home for around $250K !! :D

Also, it is a shade Warmer, and we have Engr. jobs for you as well. :))

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis