Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
majorloser

majorloser

Sensi already mentioned one of my favs, Chimay. There are three different versions. Chimay has become the mass market offering out of the Trappist breweries. I prefer Trappist dubbels and quads.

But like Doug said, it looks like you prefer lighter lagers, not ales. In other words, American wuss beer. :D

Right now is a good time to sample some of the German Octoberfest offerings. See if you can find the Spaten, Hofbrau or Paulaner versions.

Märzen / Oktoberfest - BeerAdvocate

I've also been drinking Newcastle brown ale. It's also become easier to find at bars and restaurants. Very light for a brown ale.

And since Doug mentioned Sierra Nevada, might as well try their 2011 Tumbler fall brew that is very close in flavor to the Newcastle brown ale.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1Es7tHAt_X0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1Es7tHAt_X0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the suggestions! I might have given the wrong impression by posting that MGD 64. I do like beers that are more sweet and less bitter, though, and I am a wuss...so maybe not. :D

One of my favorite beers, although it's not easy to come by around here, is La Chouffe. I didn't like the Chimay that I tried as a replacement when I couldn't find La Chouffe, but that was over a decade ago - it might be time to give it another chance. :)

I pick up some Boddingtons from time to time, as it seems to have the smoothness of Guinness without that bitter aftertaste. I also like Moosehead, Molson Golden (although I've never seen it in Tucson), Landshark, and any number of others.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I went through the beer phase where I wanted to try different stuff, and I still will with a meal or something, but to just sit and get drunk by myself in the dark with my dog, I stick to the cheap beer mixed with cheaper vodka. My life is awesome. I even got caught up sharing a bunch of useless homo humor on an online forum. Can you believe that? Crazy. Now I just dig in other people's trash to find used spray paint cans and can't really afford the internet. I would probably torture baby animals for another taste of a microbrew. F*** Obama. :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the suggestions! I do like beers that are more sweet and less bitter, though, and I am a wuss...so maybe not. :D
Hey Adam, keep trying new beer and you'll find something appealing.
Adjunct beer is tasteless and the bottom of the barrel.

Most of the suggestions above are very malty, so you should find something.:)
In time your tastes will evolve to something with more of a hop / malt balance....
Then to something with a complex hop bite and fragrance. The key is to keep trying new stuff.....it's like eating hot peppers. Keep eating them and you will get used to more heat. The same holds true for beer and it's more complex flavors.
Sam Adams has many different beers. It's a good starting point.
Good Luck.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Let's have a moment of silence for my dead and out-of-warranty Denon AVR-4310. :mad:

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dude, that sucks! Be sure to go through all the regular things to try and get it back.
I ended up getting it back for the most part. I thought it was bricked after a failed firmware update but a microprocessor reset got me back to operational status. None of the network/internet related features work now but at least I don't have to get a new AVR...yet.

The good thing is that I don't have to hard power it off and on every time I switch sources anymore, which is why I did the firmware update in the first place. :)

If I wasn't such an Audyssey fanboy I would be looking at Yamaha and Pioneer for my next AVR...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I ended up getting it back for the most part. I thought it was bricked after a failed firmware update but a microprocessor reset got me back to operational status.
Cool - I'm glad that it's at least working! I thought maybe it just stopped working, but now I know that you rolled the dice on a firmware update. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I snagged some Leinie's Oktoberfest and Newcastle nut brown. The Lienie's is tasty. I didn't like Newcastle several years ago, but I'm willing to give it another go.

To set the record straight, I'm nearing 40 and have tried a lot of different beers. Many I like, many I don't like. I was a fan of MGD and MGD Light in college, and I grabbed that MGD 64 because I was wanting to cut some calories (and I've had it before and don't mind it). I almost never buy that stuff anymore.

It's nice now that grocery stores carry more and more "microbrews." It gives me something new to try now and again.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...but to just sit and get drunk by myself in the dark with my dog, I stick to the cheap beer mixed with cheaper vodka.
I actually thought about trying that two nights ago, but I just couldn't convince myself to put vodka into beer.

Now I just dig in other people's trash to find used spray paint cans and can't really afford the internet.
What, that tax issue still getting you?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I don't believe in destiny
Or the guiding hand of fate
I don't believe in forever
Or love as a mystical state
I don't believe in the stars or the planets
Or angels watching from above
But I believe there's a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love
And make it last...

majorloser

majorloser

I don't believe in destiny
Or the guiding hand of fate
I don't believe in forever
Or love as a mystical state
I don't believe in the stars or the planets
Or angels watching from above
But I believe there's a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love
And make it last...
Posted at 1 am in the morning.

Must be tough being drunk and yearning for some monkey love. :rolleyes:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
If you have any chance, perhaps my favorite.... Feldschlösschen, of course it's Swiss....

Beer to die for :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I washed my car this morning. They put a sealant on the road near me last week...and boy was that a bear to clean off. It seemed like hundreds of little black dots all over one side of the car, each of which took some scrubbing to clean off. It's times like these that I wish I had kids. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My eyes have been mildly bloodshot for years, and lately I've become determined to reduce the redness. Friday and Saturday morning, I tried a new kind (to me) of Visine - which actually made them more bloodshot. The Clear Eyes that I also got (and have used before) might be working, so I'll give it some time.

I also tried some overnight gel last night - it's basically like putting Vaseline on your eye balls. I was a bit hesitant to do it, but I ponied up after three beers. :rolleyes: It didn't seem to reduce the redness at all, but I'll keep using it for now.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
So, Sensi, any recommendations? :)
Depends what you're looking for. .

On the lighter and cheaper end, I typically drink a better called Wittekerke. They sell it in cans and bottles, get the cans, their cheaper and it's the same beer (only better protected and easier outdoors). It's a white beer out of Belgium, nice and light but still 5% alcohol.

Duvel is another favorite, although its a little pricey. Get the large bottles. Nice blonde ale, really tasty. Watch out for the alcohol content though, it's very high. Also watch out when you pour it, it foams like crazy...poor really slowly.

If your watching your weight, I think Amstel Light is probably the best of the worst. Taste isn't bad but the calories are under 100 yet the alcohol is near 5%. If that's not available, look for Red Stripe. More calories, but, tastier than say a Corona. That said, all beer sucks for your diet.

Dale's Pale Ale is my typical IPA. I really like this one. Don't let the can fool you, it's a great IPA.

Same brewry, GUBNA and G'NITE are also great (Oskar Blues Brewery from Colorado). Both are expensive, but, extremely good. I typically save these for weekends. These are around 10% alcohol, so just be aware of that.

I actually need to cut down on my drinking though, it's gunna make me fat haha. Gained 5-lbs this year. Might not sound like a lot, but at 25...add 5-lbs per year till 50 and I got a big problem hehe.

So, I've been limiting to one beer per night and due to a back problem (herniated disc) I've not been able to workout, but I start physical therapy tomorrow so I will see what I can and can't do.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I washed my car this morning. They put a sealant on the road near me last week...and boy was that a bear to clean off. It seemed like hundreds of little black dots all over one side of the car, each of which took some scrubbing to clean off. It's times like these that I wish I had kids. :D
Well done Adam, your car is shining and you can look onto the door and see your hairstyle like in a mirror now right? :D

Rather than look into the mirror and see if you put gel into your hair, just look at the car :p

I hope I do have a car still....
Been in Kiev for a week, car is at airport... I hope :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis