Apartment 2.1 Setup

W

WaterDrinker

Enthusiast
Greetings,

Long time Lurker here, Finally decided to create an account, and what better first post than to share my enjoyable setup. While it certainly pales in comparison to some of these mindblowing setups Ive seen on these forums, I am very pleased with the sound. I live in an Apartment so the placement is limited, and I cant really run cables through the wall.

The Setup:
Sony 46EX710
Polk RTiA3 (L+R)
Generic Yamaha Sub
Denon 3310
Yamaha BD-S1065
Boxee Box
Monster Power 1650

The Whole View (with my old Yamaha Rx-367):

My Denon 3310:

Power Conditioner and Blu Ray:

I have the remnants of the Yamaha HTIB that I first started out with siting in a box, but after getting the RTis I figured it would be disrespectful to use them as the remainder of a 5.1

The next thing I was looking to upgrade is the Subwoofer, so if anyone sees a killer deal or has a suggestion in the low 200 range I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
W

WaterDrinker

Enthusiast
The Whole thing with the New Denon

Forgot to include this picture with the Original post, and now I'm past my 60 min limit. Newb mistake.

Anyhoo:

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
Looks good, but I would really work on trying to hide those cords :D

W

WaterDrinker

Enthusiast
Haha yeah ironically Im being too cheap to buy wiremold, but everytime we empty something with a twisty tie we tie the wire more. College Eh?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, please do hide these ugly cables.
and... you're going to need a bigger sub

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would suggest working on spacing out the Polks, as well as elevating them.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum (well, at least to posting :))!

That's quite a nice college set up. As for the wires, I'm highly impressed at the vast improvement you made just from your first to second posts. :D As for twist ties, go to the grocery store and snag some of the ones used to tie up produce bags. ;) I've got a huge stash of those - too bad my store uses green ties.

Your name has inspired me...

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WaterDrinker

Enthusiast
I would suggest working on spacing out the Polks, as well as elevating them.
We were rather limited on furniture, and "borrowed" that table from the school. As of right now I cant really think of a good way to elevate them besides elevating the whole table... Hmm now you have me thinking.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We were rather limited on furniture, and "borrowed" that table from the school. As of right now I cant really think of a good way to elevate them besides elevating the whole table... Hmm now you have me thinking.
what you want to achieve best result is roughly to have the tweeters at the ear level...

I heard you have a lot of books...

catch my drift ?

W

WaterDrinker

Enthusiast
Well, being in college, maybe they can't afford a couch and are sitting on the floor - problem solved. :D
College has changed, we have Craigslist now, and free couches!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
College rocks, leave the cables exposed. It's the only time you'll get away with it. :) If it's offensive, run some gaffers take down the wall to cover the cables, they sell white gaffers tape.

Cinderblocks are cheap and work well for raising speakers.

I'd say raising the speakers to ear level will make a dramatic improvement. Books, cinder-blocks, whatever, it all works.

As far as a subwoofer, check out Dayton on Parts Express.

If you plan on throwing parties, set the volume limit on your Denon to protect your speakers.... the more smashed you, friends and randoms get the louder the volume goes - easy to pop drivers.

B

bonejob

Audioholic Intern
I can't see the whole room, so I don't know your limitations, but if you can, raise the speakers up on stands so tweeters are approximately ear level and set them further apart - about as far apart as you are from them while listening.

Also, lower the TV to approximately eye level while sitting and watching.

Get a better sub if and when you can afford it.

Now, I know you are a renter and your landlord would likely frown on you fishing wires through the walls, but I would research ways to hide or at least mitigate those wires. They would drive me batty; I would have to do SOMETHING to conceal them better. But if you're O.K. with it, just ignore me.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I can't see the whole room, so I don't know your limitations, but if you can, raise the speakers up on stands so tweeters are approximately ear level and set them further apart - about as far apart as you are from them while listening.

Also, lower the TV to approximately eye level while sitting and watching.

Get a better sub if and when you can afford it.

Now, I know you are a renter and your landlord would likely frown on you fishing wires through the walls, but I would research ways to hide or at least mitigate those wires. They would drive me batty; I would have to do SOMETHING to conceal them better. But if you're O.K. with it, just ignore me.

Ummm, I believe those posts were from 2011, he is likely no longer even in college. :)

B

bonejob

Audioholic Intern
Ummm, I believe those posts were from 2011, he is likely no longer even in college. :)
Oops! Newbie mistake.... I usually check posting dates but it appears not this time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis