Digital Audio Output from LCD tv help

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I noticed on the back of my tv there is a "digital audio out" the connection looks like what you would connect a rca cable to but it only has one.

I also noticed my receiver has a "digital audio in" and only one just like the tv.

These are not the optical ones either.

what kind of cable connects to these? It looks like rca but I would think you would only get 1ch or mono output? but not sure

thanks

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
that would be a digital coaxial cable

it can carry compressed surround like dolby digital/dts or 2 channel pcm

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To add to Phillip's info, you don't need to buy a special cable for that connection. A regular RCA cable will work. You can always buy a "digital coax" cable (such as this nice $4 one from Monoprice), but if you have an RCA cable around the house, you can get it hooked up right away.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
To add to Phillip's info, you don't need to buy a special cable for that connection. A regular RCA cable will work. You can always buy a "digital coax" cable (such as this nice $4 one from Monoprice), but if you have an RCA cable around the house, you can get it hooked up right away.
A digital RCA cable is 75 ohm termination, audio cables are 50 ohm. The 50 ohm cable works, but reflections and cancellations of data during transmission are much higher with the wrong cable. So using a 75 ohm cables with digital interconnections is much preferred.

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
Thannks guys appreciate it,

TLS: Would the cable that Adam posted above be what you would call preffered?

thanks again

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, shielded 75ohm cable is what you need and monoprice is the place to get all sorts of cables you need.
One thing to add is that most TV's digital out sends out only digital stereo, thou the interface itself is capable of 5.1 audio in Dolbly Digital/DTS

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Let's not spread Audio Nervosa, shall we?

A digital RCA cable is 75 ohm termination, audio cables are 50 ohm.
Not necessarially. Audio interconnects can be anywhere between 50 and 110 ohms, and sometimes higher, and has been so since the 60's and probably before.

Nowadays, with manufacturing for all cables being done in one plant, it would not make sense for them to use different cables for audio and video, particularly when 75 ohms works just fine for either. All they need do is put on different color ends.

Bandwidth may be a different issue for long digital runs but, for the short distances involved in home connections, it's a moot point.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis