My New/Old Dual 701

T

Tony3d

Junior Audioholic
Just bought a restored Dual 701 turntable from fixmydual.com. This thing is absolutely beautiful! Looks brand new, and sound wonderful with my Shure V15 type 3 mounted. It passes every track on the Shure test record with no mistracking, and the unit is dead silent. The unit is direct drive, and has ten pound platter. They just don't build them like this anymore. not bad for a 35 year old turntable!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just bought a restored Dual 701 turntable from fixmydual.com. This thing is absolutely beautiful! Looks brand new, and sound wonderful with my Shure V15 type 3 mounted. It passes every track on the Shure test record with no mistracking, and the unit is dead silent. The unit is direct drive, and has ten pound platter. They just don't build them like this anymore. not bad for a 35 year old turntable!
When it comes to turntables you are much better off with good vintage ones.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Nice Acquisition

Dual turntables were knockout performers. The only issue that I had with them is that they were very "fussy" about the presence of speakers and foot traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tony3d

Junior Audioholic
I'm on concrete floors so it's a non issue for me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for sharing..... In these days of downloads and streaming, its nice to see that vinyl still remains firmly embedded as a viable alternative.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for sharing..... In these days of downloads and streaming, its nice to see that vinyl still remains firmly embedded as a viable alternative.
It's interesting that you mentioned that. LPs seems to be re-appearing again at such stores as Newbury Comics in my local area. Now, how about some good affordable turntables and cartridges?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I had one of these, bought the Marantz 4400 and the Dual 701 either 74 or 75 at a place called Ponies in Iwakuni Japan. What a great TT. I have some pictures of that somewhere. Garrad Zero 100 was hot at that time, but the Dual was it. I was running a Stanton 681 EEE in that one.

Last edited:
T

Tony3d

Junior Audioholic
I had one of these, bought the Marantz 4400 and the Dual 701 either 74 or 75 at a place called Ponies in Iwakuni Japan. What a great TT. I have some pictures of that somewhere. Garrad Zero 100 was hot at that time, but the Dual was it. I was running a Stanton 681 EEE in that one.
Ya, I actually sold off my Music Hall mmf5 turntable in favor of this 701. It simply sounds better, is better built, and as an added bonus returns the arm, and shuts off at the end of a record. It passes every track on my Shure test record, and it's dead silent. What more could one ask?

highfigh

highfigh

When it comes to turntables you are much better off with good vintage ones.
I'm glad you wrote 'good vintage ones' becausthe there were some really bad ones in the past. I had a JVC JL-B31 for a while and it would just howl when the volume got up past a moderate level. It was better with the dust cover open, so that's how I generally used it until I had roommates with a cat. Cute little thing decided that it didn't like the lyrics of a Genesis song called 'All In A Mouse's Night'. Just after the section- "..there I was, with my back to the wall. Then comes this monster mouse, he's ten feet tall with teeth and claws to match. It only took one blow....", it went to the table, propped itself up and smacked the headshell.

Cued it to the beginning of the next song.

T

Tony3d

Junior Audioholic
My 701 sits 6" from my right speaker, and has no problem with acoustic feedback at any sound level. My speakers have 400 watt amp attached.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I'm glad you wrote 'good vintage ones' becausthe there were some really bad ones in the past. I had a JVC JL-B31 for a while and it would just howl when the volume got up past a moderate level. It was better with the dust cover open, so that's how I generally used it until I had roommates with a cat. Cute little thing decided that it didn't like the lyrics of a Genesis song called 'All In A Mouse's Night'. Just after the section- "..there I was, with my back to the wall. Then comes this monster mouse, he's ten feet tall with teeth and claws to match. It only took one blow....", it went to the table, propped itself up and smacked the headshell.

I owened this http://turntableusa.com/jvc-laboratory-ql-a75-turntable-no-reserve TT in the early 80's with the Laboratory Pre-Amp and Mono Blocks and for a JVC is was darn good, but it came with a high price tag.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I had a 70s Radio Shack table with a floating plinth design and towards the end of it, I stopped playing my records because of really bad inner groove distortion. I was afarid I was ruining my records. Plus this thing was so sensitive to foot steps ... I hated the design and to this day will NEVER own a floating plinth design again. In today's dollars, that Radio Shack model would cost me the same money as my Project Xpression II. There's no comparison in quality between the two. The Xpression with its carbon fibre arm and solid plinth design is so many leagues better than teh Radio Shack model. Tone arms in modern tables with their carbon fibre construction are simply better than most vinatge arms out there at a fraction of the cost.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I had a 70s Radio Shack table with a floating plinth design and towards the end of it, I stopped playing my records because of really bad inner groove distortion. I was afarid I was ruining my records. Plus this thing was so sensitive to foot steps ... I hated the design and to this day will NEVER own a floating plinth design again. In today's dollars, that Radio Shack model would cost me the same money as my Project Xpression II. There's no comparison in quality between the two. The Xpression with its carbon fibre arm and solid plinth design is so many leagues better than teh Radio Shack model. Tone arms in modern tables with their carbon fibre construction are simply better than most vinatge arms out there at a fraction of the cost.
Yes, but Radio Shack was the bottom of the heap. I maintain the decent stuff of the hey day of the LP will show turntables like the Xpression the way home.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, but Radio Shack was the bottom of the heap. I maintain the decent stuff of the hey day of the LP will show turntables like the Xpression the way home.
The decent stuff of the hey day would also cost much more money in today's dollars than my Xpression II. I also maintain that the tone arm on my Xpression handlily beats the tonearms of the good tables in their hey day.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The decent stuff of the hey day would also cost much more money in today's dollars than my Xpression II. I also maintain that the tone arm on my Xpression handlily beats the tonearms of the good tables in their hey day.
There were plenty of good arms back then, led by SME. In those days most of us bought the turntable and arms separately.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
There were plenty of good arms back then, led by SME. In those days most of us bought the turntable and arms separately.
I refuse to get into a spitting contest over this. ;) Most people did not buy seperate arms with their table. They got the stock arm that came with the table. Alot of people may have upgraded the arm later on or at the time of purchase but there was a stock arm that came with the table. The tonearm of the much sought after Technics SL1200 is still inferior to that of the Xpression lines and up from ProJect. I still maintain that the stock arm of the turntables in the hey day are no match for the carbon fibre composites of today.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I refuse to get into a spitting contest over this. ;) Most people did not buy seperate arms with their table. They got the stock arm that came with the table. Alot of people may have upgraded the arm later on or at the time of purchase but there was a stock arm that came with the table. The tonearm of the much sought after Technics SL1200 is still inferior to that of the Xpression lines and up from ProJect. I still maintain that the stock arm of the turntables in the hey day are no match for the carbon fibre composites of today.
In the fifties and sixties in England at least, most turntables came without an arm. The vast majority of Garrard 301s and 401s were sold without arm and plinth. Both my 301s were purchased that way. I also bought my Thorens TD 150 new without arm or plinth.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In the fifties and sixties in England at least, most turntables came without an arm. The vast majority of Garrard 301s and 401s were sold without arm and plinth. Both my 301s were purchased that way. I also bought my Thorens TD 150 new without arm or plinth.
Oh wow. Never thought turntables could have been purchased without a plinth. That certainly is different.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Oh wow. Never thought turntables could have been purchased without a plinth. That certainly is different.
Sorry I have not had a chance to extend my remarks about this issue until now.

In the era I'm talking about I'm most familiar with the UK.

In the more expensive systems, there were firms, Largs of Holborn and Imofs come to mind, who made exquisite pieces of furniture to house audio systems.

I have Hi-Fi year books from that era, that have large chapters devoted to audio furniture. Waf was a much bigger issue then than now.

These pieces of furniture would hold pre-amps, tuners and tape links, often on a sloped closing panel. That is why all older British electronics is able to be simple panel mounted and Quad still is.

Under the top lid there was space for at least one turntable and a reel to reel deck, often two if at least one item. The cabinet housed the tube power amps and space for LPs away from the power amps.

A lot of people will adapt furniture they had to the task.

For instance, at our home the electronics were,, and still are in an antique oak chest. Speakers are concealed in the room also, even though quite large. When the doors to the speakers are closed there is no evidence of their being an audio system in the room. These schemes were common. There are a lot of period homes in the UK hundreds of years old. One of my brother's homes goes back over 600 years.

All of this was not just for the well healed. Many people in those days built their ownh speakers egged on by Gilbert Briggs of Wharfedale and Raymond Cooke of KEF especially.

There were many kits available. Sterns Radio of Fleet Street, center of the newspaper industry, had excellent kits of Mullard designs. F.S. Henry on the Edgeware Road also had excellent inexpensive kits.

Brenell for many years offered their tape deck in kit form, this took extensive work and expertise to assemble. Then you could select a kit for the tape record and playback amps. Then make a case to house it all. Compared to this mounting a turntable and arm was child's play!

I would say that in those days most good systems in the UK, had either a lot of DIY content, or were very expensive turnkey systems form the likes of Largs.

My Turntable case is meant to suggest that bygone era, with its sloped pre amp channel.

Unfortunately this era and the wonderful pieces that housed the equipment seems to never have been documented. It seems to have zero presence on the Net.

I did some installations in my younger year, and I had to confront issues current installers would never imagine.

I was asked to install a system in the Guilt Room of Cobham Hall, which was the ancestral home of the Earls of Darnley. It had become and still is a school.

The Guilded great hall contained an organ on which Handel is known to have played. At the time the great Noel Mander was restoring this organ, and I got to know this great man.

I installed the electronics unobtrusively in an alcove.

I build two large speakers, (TLs of course) on wheels. They were made to look like antique positiv organs, with fake guilt pipes on the front. Diffraction be dammed!

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Just had to find it

I just couldn't resist to find (took me hours) this picture and post it. Brings back old memories. That's the Marantz 4400 and the Dual 701. It's a scan so it's not that great, it is from 75. At that time the 4400 was the most powerfull receiver in the world at 125 watts per channel. If I remember correctly retail was $1250.oo.

I sold this Empire about a year ago and now I am starting to regret it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis