Advice needed: Please help picking better near-field monitors

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Help me pick - My current choices (all priced as pair)
JBL LSR2325P - At $320-330
Behringer TRUTH B1030A - $286
AudioEngine A5 - $325

My current preference goes toward Behringers, since they are cheapest of the bunch and I'm very happy with my work pc MS16 speakers.

I'm looking for most neutral sounding speaker, with decent amount of bass (I know that 5" woofers will not replace proper sub) I think I could find local dealers for every one of these, but none have all them in single place, at this price point I'd rather hear AHers or owners suggestions (Yes, I'm being lazy a bit)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
just noticed that A5 is self powered but not active ... does this really matters?

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I think there are two great things about the A-5s. First, is the sound quality. I recently replaced my A-5s with PSB Image T-6 speakers. The T-6 speakers are, I think, amazing speakers. That said, the A-5s compare favorably to them in the mid range and high but obviously get beaten badly in the low end. Second, the A-5s have a number of useful inputs and outputs (2 minijack inputs, and one RCA out) which makes them easy to with different sources or with a sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, Anyone would like to help me make decision ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Question : despite very similar tweeter and woofer sizes behringer and jbl have a very different xover points. Does it makes any difference?
Also jbl are bit more powerful and dig tad lower ...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
shameless bump... Guys, my deal on jbl's is expiring in 3 days....
I'm starting slowly leaning towards them...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a heck of a deal on the JBLs; I'd consider springing for them at the price if I needed a pair of near field monitors and I'm an audio engine fanboy, :D. Here's a review by someone who thinks they're the best thing to hit the audio world since sliced bread, http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR2325P-Bi-amplified-Studio-Monitors/dp/B001U92K6M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309188644&sr=8-2.
There are couple of options- first there these guys:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LSR2325P-Studio-Monitor-LSR-2325P-2325-/290546146406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a5e65c66#ht_5081wt_1195

I'd feel that offer of $165/each shouldn't offend them ;)

and secondly I found small site there they have only one, but Zzounds agreed to match and lower it to $164.99 - I can't post the link - since it's one off deal - you need to asked them yourself

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Update: I just ordered JBL's before Zzounds runs of of stock.
with 30 days guarantee I feel pretty safe about

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Those JBL's look very nice for the price. I have the B2031P's which I have been very happy with in my office. I have not heard good things about the quality of the amps in the active models so the JBL would probably be a better choice.

Edit: I see you ordered the JBL's. Post some pics and you impressions when you get them. My amp in my office has been giving me issues once in a while so I may look at swapping to a set of actives and put the 2031's in the garage I am building.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just got home, UPS luckily left them on the door.
Maked room around the monitor... Geez - I should have noticed the weight - 16lbs each - probably a bit of stretch for my tampered glass top computer desk...

Anyway - Speakers to 50% volume, rest of setting defaults...
Windows volume to 25-30% (Creative SB 2 ZS)... first real test: Avatar DTS - Holy Crap - THEY ARE LOUD !!! But absolutely crystal clear.
Bass is unbelievable for only 5" woofers... I need to get some classical flacs to proper test , but for now - I'm blown away...
I'm very happy with them !

p.s: Funny enough my previous pc speakers were also JBL :D - I completely forgot that fact, but they are just really cheap speakers which Compaq bundled their desktop with. (These)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Shouldn't you just max windows volume and turn down the speakers?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
just noticed that A5 is self powered but not active ... does this really matters?
I always thought active meant self powered or amplified.

... the garage I am building.
Make sure you put in lots and lots of braces. :D

I'm very happy with them !
That settles that. :)

I haven't heard the JBL's but out of your other two choices I would have picked the A5's. I heard them up at Jeff's and they produce quite a bit of bass for a small speaker. I'm assuming the 2030A's are similar to the 2030P's I have heard previously.

You know a picture is worth a thousand words. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I always thought active meant self powered or amplified.
Active means - Each woofer is powered by it own dedicated amp AND there is active (powered) crossover circuit...

This (more or less) was explained to me earlier after I bought Behringer MS16 speakers for work pc.

I haven't heard the JBL's but out of your other two choices I would have picked the A5's. I heard them up at Jeff's and they produce quite a bit of bass for a small speaker. I'm assuming the 2030A's are similar to the 2030P's I have heard previously.
The reason I didn't get the A5's - I guess they are too mainstream :D;) Seriously thou - I got my JBL's at same price as A5 and I hope that my don't suffer from typical issues which are inherited by using passive crossover like A5 does..

You know a picture is worth a thousand words. ;)
I promise, as soon as I clean my messy desk :eek:

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
It would be impossible for me to use a mouse with no room like that D:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Apparently the polars the JBLs are outstanding. I want a pair myself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis