Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Nice!
We'll have to start planing a trip to hear them.
Talking about steel wool...
0000 steel wool will give you the cleanest & smoothest windshield you've seen.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
They look awesome, unique and thoroughly unparalleled by any other DIY designs that I have come across , you have done a fine job with your build and I hope to see and feel their presence in real time some day soon. Maybe The Phillies will be up that way and walla, mini GTG. Niceee Subs Alex , Rob.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Nice!
We'll have to start planing a trip to hear them.
Talking about steel wool...
0000 steel wool will give you the cleanest & smoothest windshield you've seen.
BBQ to go, to go north to noreast, we can keep it warm , I'm in.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the compliments. I did kind of fungu the grills by unnecessarily going overboard with spray glue that showed through the spandex. I hurriedly touched it up with black primer and I still need to fill the few nail holes with wax crayon but I guess I want to listen to them first. I'm hoping all goes well with that.

Anybody want to buy an MB Quart sub? :rolleyes:

I was going to put them so that the woofers would be toward the center but accidentally placed them close to these spots so I just took the easy out and pushed them up against the wall as is. Any thoughts on that?

Here's a couple more shots of what I see when I look over at the left one.

... with flash. The white thing behind the grill is a felt pad to
keep the staples from messing up the gloss black part of the face.

... without flash

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the compliments. I did kind of fungu the grills by unnecessarily going overboard with spray glue that showed through the spandex. I hurriedly touched it up with black primer and I still need to fill the few nail holes with wax crayon but I guess I want to listen to them first. I'm hoping all goes well with that.

Anybody want to buy an MB Quart sub? :rolleyes:

I was going to put them so that the woofers would be toward the center but accidentally placed them close to these spots so I just took the easy out and pushed them up against the wall as is. Any thoughts on that?

Here's a couple more shots of what I see when I look over at the left one.

... with flash. The white thing behind the grill is a felt pad to
keep the staples from messing up the gloss black part of the face.

... without flash

Alex, those subs look magnificent. I would never have come up with such an audacious look. It is strange, but I think it looks really good and disguises the large lump they are. Cosmetically they are outstanding. I'm always interested in making big speakers a featured piece of furniture. If it looks good, and these look very good, size is irrelevant.

As well as being functional, I hope, those subs are an outstanding item of furniture, which enhance the room. They successfully show the finger to these no nothing interior design types.

I'm going to send the pictures to my daughter and get her comments.

I hope you "go live" with them pretty soon. I just want to know I did not screw up the basic design for you. I just hope they sound as good as they look.

Congratulations and well done.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, paint is the toughest finish of all!

I have really good spray equipment here, including ceiling mounted Dixon filters, and yet I hate to have to use it.

I use veneered board and don't even veneer anymore. You just have to carefully think the job through so no cut ends show.

These speakers are built from pre veneered oak particle board, just like my speakers here. The quarter round solid oak pieces just round the corners nicely.

I am definitely trying to get that technique on my speakers. Though I think I will use squared wood and run a roundover bit later. Nothing teaches like experience.

Alex they look fantastic, but I'm not surprised.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I've been waiting ... I knew the time would come ...
I guess I did have that coming, eh?:D

That's great craftsmanship, Alex! Who knew that slapping up drywall would be so conducive to developing cabinet making skills?:D

There I go again...:rolleyes:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex they look fantastic, but I'm not surprised.
I'm surprised. It's all kind of a fluke. I mean I did make choices but the materials available to me were stuff other people didn't want. Still I guess I chose which junk to take home. Even the paint color was a mistint that I got for $4.25. I did go to 2 paint stores to find it though. Now I suppose I should paint the shelf that I use for LP's. :rolleyes:

Anyways I'm hooking this up and I found that 2 out of 4 of my stainless socket cap screws from HD have messed up threads. I'm having to sort of re-cut them to keep them from messing up the threaded inserts that I'm using for binding posts.

This is also my first time with wire pants. I hope stainless is a good conductor.

Ummm ... so yeah, I do like it when the wires are straight.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Congrats Alex they look freaking awesome. Your workmanship has inspired me so I am building a garage so someday I can do a DIY project.

They are very unique and if they sound half as good as they look you should be happy for a long time to come. Your neighbors may have a different view but screw em.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Are you getting close to testing them?
Oh, I wasn't kidding about the 0000 Steel Wool, use it dry or even wet to clean a windshield.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, I wasn't kidding about the 0000 Steel Wool, use it dry or even wet to clean a windshield.
Really? I thought you were kidding! No offence, but I'll try it on a piece of scrap glass before I do it to my windshield. Besides, how is it better than plain soap and water? Better for cleaning off bugs...?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Really? I thought you were kidding! No offence, but I'll try it on a piece of scrap glass before I do it to my windshield. Besides, how is it better than plain soap and water? Better for cleaning off bugs...?
I've been using it for around 30 years.
Back then I was skeptical too, I tested glass cleaner and right next to that use the 0000. The 0000 side will feel smoother than a babies' rear in comparison. There is an almost microscopic residue that won't come off with glass cleaner and paper towels.
It will reduce the friction between the wiper blades and the windshield too.
EDIT: only use it on the outside of a windshield. Some cars have a fine metallic coating on the inside that is energized as a defroster. It might be in between layers, but just to be safe I've only used it on the outside.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
All done with that now. Here it is in pic's ...

The hook up ...

The amps volume controls are on the back so I needed it backwards for the test.

The bigger picture ...

All back together ... who knows how to work the zoom feature? :D

I hope you "go live" with them pretty soon. I just want to know I did not screw up the basic design for you.
Dear Dr. Carter,

Thank you so much for steering me down this path. This is a different kind bass than I am use to. I'm not gonna try to describe things I don't understand. Let's just say I like the way these sound very much. I'm getting an idea of what is meant by ripple in the transient response ... these seem to be lacking the ripple. :)

I'm not sure what they'll do output wise and I'm pretty sure my neighbors don't want me to find out but I have cranked them up maybe just a tad and the subs don't flinch. The cabinets are dead still too. It really is funny. As I was pushing them around trying to position them, music was playing and the sound coming out of the driver was pronounced but placing my ear on the side or top of the cabinet give no indication that there is a driver in there.

Another concept that I'm getting a handle on is control of the driver. I think your alignment is controlling the driver splendidly and the driver is behaving like it is under the threat of being beaten like a rented mule. I want to use the words inconspicuous and unremarkable and still say that I am delighted with this result. I guess I could have just said it blends exceptionally well but I like talking about beating mules. :eek: ;)

Much appreciated,

Alex

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I've been using it for around 30 years.
Back then I was skeptical too, I tested glass cleaner and right next to that use the 0000. The 0000 side will feel smoother than a babies' rear in comparison. There is an almost microscopic residue that won't come off with glass cleaner and paper towels.
It will reduce the friction between the wiper blades and the windshield too.
EDIT: only use it on the outside of a windshield. Some cars have a fine metallic coating on the inside that is energized as a defroster. It might be in between layers, but just to be safe I've only used it on the outside.
Great info, Rick. Thanks!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
They look great! Hope you like the sound they make also.:cool:

Can't wait to hear them at Rick's!:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
They look great! Hope you like the sound they make also.:cool:

Can't wait to hear them at Rick's!:D
Good idea.....since I doubt Cheryl will let them stay in the house. :D
Mantown or not, it still falls under her rules........and he put so much work into them too.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I doubt Cheryl will let them stay in the house. :D
While it's true that she hasn't expressed any desire to 'hear' them she did tell me that she would come and look at them 'in a little bit' after I had gotten them out of the truck. I had one in the stairwell and the other was on a hand truck outside our entry door in the hallway. Basically she wasn't showing any interest in seeing them either. It probably had something to do with me showing her pic's of the parts while explaining how it would all come together. Anyway I didn't really care who saw these right about then because I had just gotten them under cover when the skies opened up as they had been threatening to do for the entire 40 mile ride from Eddie's. I didn't dare to so much as pull over to get a coffee (with 52 sugars) and re-wrap the moving blanket that was flapping around like crazy. By that point I was wiped out from hurriedly unloading the truck of gear and the vast amounts of garbage I had generated making these and from working my @ss off for the 2 hottest days of the year.

However after she got a look at them she right away started talking about how 'handsome' they were and seemed genuinely interested in how I came up with that look. She thinks this could be a money maker. How about it? Who wants to pay me a month's worth of wages for a pair of subs? Ummm ... plus material of course. I tried explaining that it was all forced on me by the limited assortment of material available to me and I got lucky. Cheryl hasn't used her veto powers on anything I've done so far ... even when I tried cramming every piece of electronics gear I own in front of the TV. I'll just refer to that period as GO-NAD!'s Dark Time. :eek:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
While it's true that she hasn't expressed any desire to 'hear' them she did tell me that she would come and look at them 'in a little bit' after I had gotten them out of the truck. I had one in the stairwell and the other was on a hand truck outside our entry door in the hallway. Basically she wasn't showing any interest in seeing them either. It probably had something to do with me showing her pic's of the parts while explaining how it would all come together. Anyway I didn't really care who saw these right about then because I had just gotten them under cover when the skies opened up as they had been threatening to do for the entire 40 mile ride from Eddie's. I didn't dare to so much as pull over to get a coffee (with 52 sugars) and re-wrap the moving blanket that was flapping around like crazy. By that point I was wiped out from hurriedly unloading the truck of gear and the vast amounts of garbage I had generated making these and from working my @ss off for the 2 hottest days of the year.

However after she got a look at them she right away started talking about how 'handsome' they were and seemed genuinely interested in how I came up with that look. She thinks this could be a money maker. How about it? Who wants to pay me a month's worth of wages for a pair of subs? Ummm ... plus material of course. I tried explaining that it was all forced on me by the limited assortment of material available to me and I got lucky. Cheryl hasn't used her veto powers on anything I've done so far ... even when I tried cramming every piece of electronics gear I own in front of the TV. I'll just refer to that period as GO-NAD!'s Dark Time. :eek:
Why is it always done in heat? You'd think we'd be smart enough to plan construction in the spring, but it's just so pretty outside that we simply must wait until it is hot. :D My wife hid my flush trim bit. But I am going to be my speakers done. You're thread has inspired me. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis