My Adventures with SSDs

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I searched, but now I can't find the post where I posted by initial disappointed with SSD drives, what turns out it was a mere bad model and I was unlucky to pick it. I decided to write a bit longer post to share my experience with ya all..

Long story short - several months ago I built two new PCs for my colleges at work. The budget was tight and I needed to squeeze the last drop of it I decided to try the SSD as a boot drive. The model I picked was Imation M-Class 2.5” Solid State Drive SSD 64GB SATA II
CDS is our company only official vendor so pretty much for everything I must try to get it there first.
The specs looks promising and price was right.
+ 48Bit ECC per 2KB of data - provides a 20% boost in longevity and reliability over 10 Bit ECC in 512 bytes
+ 5 Year Limited Warranty - industry leading for MLC-based products
+ Enhanced Global Wear Leveling - uniformly distributes P/E cycles for increased drive endurance
+ 230MB/s Sequential Read Write - fast data transfer and system performance
+ 170MB/s Sequential Write - fast data transfer and system performance
+ SATA II interface - allows for maximum sequential read/write drive performance
+ 64MB Cache - quick access data buffer
+ MTBF – 1,000,000 Hours
Shortly after getting the SSD installed and new OS configured - I noticed the performance wasn't what I expected and the benchmarks I ran confirmed it.
To my disappointment the windows 7 scored it a mere 5.9 :confused: - same score typical SATA disk would get and while HDtach shows impressive sustained read speeds - and somewhat good writes, the burst speeds were terrible - I don't have the numbers - the IOps were terrible.
In short - I barely gained any improvements at all, expect slightly fast windows 7 boot speeds :(

But I there is a bright light in this story. I decided to investigate further, read more benchmarks and reviews and quickly realized that not all SSDs are build the same and like so ofter the performance numbers claimed by manufactures often off the real world or simply meaningless.

While there are only two major types of flash memory - the building block of SSD - MLC and SLC - first one is cheap, while the other is fast, but prohibitively expensive for any home or smb use. This brings the question - there are hundreds if different models of SSD and most of the vary in speed (of same capacity) - How this is possible?
The answer lies in the model and make of the heart of every SSD - it's controller - and trust me - they aren't all built the same.

A relative new comer to market of SSD controller is yet not very known company, quickly captures entire high performance SSD market, but bringing the controller which simply dominates everything else out there.
I'm talking about Sandforce.

Like any manufactures they love inedependent reviews and they are proudly show them off on the front page - http://www.sandforce.com/index.php?id=161
Thanks to them I was able to find and hand pick a hidden gem -
OCZ Vertex Limited Edition SSD from this review.
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/OCZ-Vertex-LE-Sandforce-Powered-SSD-Review/?page=9
I got one from newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227526
Price last month was a lower by $10 or A/R it'll cost me $140 for 5
0G - $2.8/gig - Is it expensive ? Yes, very much so, but my Old 4 year old computer with very slow boot hard drive was very slow and the proper upgrade: Cpu/mono/ram would cost me at least $600. I said lets try SSD again and I was VERY pleasantly surprised for result.

Current Setup:
Windows7 Ultimate comfortably sits on the ssd among with few smaller, but frequently used apps like Chrome & Firefox. Bigger ones like Acrobat and Office were installed on the bigger HD. Last but not least 2Tb WD green monster is uses to store all large media.
Windows 7 scores my disk speeds as 7.6 (out of 7.9), boot times from power button under 30 seconds and in whole it feels much faster.

Conclusion:
In the end i'm very happy with this purchase and highly recommend it for anyone with older computer trying to breathe a new life into it.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
The new controller of choice is the Sandforce and allows huge upgrades in read/writes over last gen drives.

These new controllers no longer care how big a drive is, their speed is their speed and allows for bleeding edge performance on all sizes. In real world tests they can achieve speeds nearing twice what the last gen of SSD's could achieve, they really are exceptional drives and maybe finally worth the extra money.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'd say its worth the money.

Thats 2 Super Talent 32GB SSD's in RAID0. They are over a year old and I got them fort around $120 a piece. I plan on getting 2 more in a few weeks/months as the storage space isn't enough and I would mind doubling the above speeds.:cool::cool::cool:

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I would really love to jump on the SSD train, but right now they just don't have enough space for me or the ones that do are just too expensive...I really can't live on a 60gb main drive...well, I could, it would just suck. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would really love to jump on the SSD train, but right now they just don't have enough space for me or the ones that do are just too expensive...I really can't live on a 60gb main drive...well, I could, it would just suck. :D
60Gb is more than enough for os/boot disk - helped my win7 big time. You'll just have to remember to do large installs on the plain vanilla hard drive ;)

@krzywica - Great seq read speeds, but it's the random writes which are much tricker to achieve high numbers (due to controllers design)...

Observe the powah of the SAND FORCE:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-vertex-2-ssd-review/12

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
60Gb is more than enough for os/boot disk - helped my win7 big time. You'll just have to remember to do large installs on the plain vanilla hard drive ;)

@krzywica - Great seq read speeds, but it's the random writes which are much tricker to achieve high numbers (due to controllers design)...

Observe the powah of the SAND FORCE:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-vertex-2-ssd-review/12
Yup thats what I do....Stripe gets the OS and critical apps and a 250 SATA drive gets the back burner apps.

I've never tested this thing in IO Meter....its such a PITA to set up the benchmark...

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
See, but that would annoy the crap out of me, I like to have all my programs and at least my pictures and music on my C drive, which wouldn't be possible with that low of size. Not saying that it isn't possible, just that I would go nuts :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
See, but that would annoy the crap out of me, I like to have all my programs and at least my pictures and music on my C drive, which wouldn't be possible with that low of size. Not saying that it isn't possible, just that I would go nuts :D
Imo In reality what you really want is to keep your pictures in "My Pictures" and your music in "My music". Not sure about about vista, but in 7 you can easily redirect both (or to add path) to them to any drive or share....

just my 2c

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I have all my pictures and documents on my file server anyway.....its the best way to go as you can access them all the time from anywhere.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
OH!, I thought at first you said " My adventure with STD's" I was going to suggest that I move the thread for you:eek: :)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the heads up...but I don't do MIR's. :)

They had a this on sale yesterday or the day before for $80 shipped. Much faster newer drive and its SATA3.

Ok, besides the fact deal for $80 is expired, I hardly ever trade slightly higher reads for MUCH worse writes and random writes...
Sorry, Crucial M4 is cheap for a reason... I worked with such SSDs before with high burst reads but terrible sustained writes - It's a waste of your money and if used to boot OS - it provides marginal if any advantages over modern regular HD.

Crucial M4
415MB/s Sequential Read, up to 95MB/s Sequential Write and 20K IOPS
vs
OCZ Vertex 2
Max Read¹ up to 285 MB/s, Max Write¹ up to 275 MB/,Sustained Write² up to 250 MB/s and 4KB Random Write³ 50,000 IOPS

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Vertex2_E_Product_sheet_2.pdf

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, besides the fact deal for $80 is expired, I hardly ever trade slightly higher reads for MUCH worse writes and random writes...
Sorry, Crucial M4 is cheap for a reason... I worked with such SSDs before with high burst reads but terrible sustained writes - It's a waste of your money and if used to boot OS - it provides marginal if any advantages over modern regular HD.

Crucial M4
415MB/s Sequential Read, up to 95MB/s Sequential Write and 20K IOPS
vs
OCZ Vertex 2
Max Read¹ up to 285 MB/s, Max Write¹ up to 275 MB/,Sustained Write² up to 250 MB/s and 4KB Random Write³ 50,000 IOPS

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Vertex2_E_Product_sheet_2.pdf
Yeah the writes suck I agree....and the IO is pretty poor for an SSD as well...something like this would be nice for an HTPC where you don't really need the fastest SSD, but you can benefit from the seek time and zero noise.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I added an OCZ 32 GB SSD to my 30TB Antec Server just for the OS, and it scored a 7.9 on Windows 7.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure the technology is ready yet. My 6 month old Kingston 128GB SSD died this week which to say the least is a bit of a disappointment. The BIOS sees the drive but Windows 7 reports a corrupted drive. I've followed the "rules" and there there is no swap file on "C", TRIM is enabled, and my only write intensive application is on a Raptor not the SSD. Kingston was great (other than no advance replacement) and I'll have the replacement on Friday. But with all of the reports of SSD failures I'll be watching this thing closely. Fortunately I have backups including a drive image.

FWIW here's an SSD tip page from Lifehacker. I find most of their stuff lightweight but this is pretty good.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not sure the technology is ready yet. My 6 month old Kingston 128GB SSD died this week which to say the least is a bit of a disappointment. The BIOS sees the drive but Windows 7 reports a corrupted drive. I've followed the "rules" and there there is no swap file on "C", TRIM is enabled, and my only write intensive application is on a Raptor not the SSD. Kingston was great (other than no advance replacement) and I'll have the replacement on Friday. But with all of the reports of SSD failures I'll be watching this thing closely. Fortunately I have backups including a drive image.

FWIW here's an SSD tip page from Lifehacker. I find most of their stuff lightweight but this is pretty good.
Yes, Ssd unfortunately are not bullet proof. Having current backups is good idea always .
I personally had bad experience with Kingston ssd, but then again there are bunch of different models

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, Ssd unfortunately are not bullet proof. Having current backups is good idea always .
I personally had bad experience with Kingston ssd, but then again there are bunch of different models
My system lives! :D Now I can get back to testing media servers. I was a never-bored ;) network guy for a lot of years and keep system images for each system so it didn't take long to blow an image on the SSD.

They promise a 1 business day turnaround and overnight shipping so I got a bit grumpy with Kingston when they tried to tell me they hadn't received my RMAed drive until yesterday afternoon when I had a proof of delivery for 9:09am the day before. But after a bit of polite and respectful but firm grumpiness they came though on their commitment and had the replacement drive back to me today.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis