Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I got 500 thanks :p
but way to go to mperfct, markw, StrongbadF1, Davemcc, Rickster71, Boredsysadmin, Majorloser +++ and most of all Monkeyman Alex :p

Seems like I must work harder and post better :D

What's the secret guys? :p
I'd have more thanks but I've grown (more) cynical and offer less and less good advice. Now I just spend my time in here, and hardly ever check new posts any more. Mainly because people/newbs rarely RTFM. Or I have no idea what they are talking about.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I got 500 thanks :p
but way to go to mperfct, markw, StrongbadF1, Davemcc, Rickster71, Boredsysadmin, Majorloser +++ and most of all Monkeyman Alex :p

Seems like I must work harder and post better :D

What's the secret guys? :p
Post stupid but funny comments.:)

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd have more thanks but I've grown (more) cynical and offer less and less good advice. Now I just spend my time in here, and hardly ever check new posts any more. Mainly because people/newbs rarely RTFM. Or I have no idea what they are talking about.
This is also the mode I am in, with a dash of much less posting (and maybe more cynicism) in general.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
What's wrong with the s2000?:)

I now nothing about the volt.:eek:
The S2000 stays forever :cool: This replaces a Honda Accord.

I test drove the Volt; It was awesome, very solid feel, very quiet, and very quick off the line and up to 40 or 50 mph seemless power, 149 Hp instantly with 273 ft-lbs of torque. Actually the cost fully loaded is $44K with a $7.5K government rebate. only $36.5k. The fit and finish is very high quality. They are avaialble and can be ordered in Texas at MSRP; the electrics warranty is 8 years, 100K miles. Most of my trips are roundtrip 30 miles or less. My trip to the cabin is 65 miles one way; 40 miles all electric and 25 on the motor generator; then recharge.

I also test drove the Lexus CT 200h hybrid; it was okay but I was not wowed like I thought I would be. The displays and gauges were all Lexus like. Lexus wouldn't deal on the price. I like my wife's 2010 Prius better. Between the Volt and the Lexus CT Hybrid, the Volt is a clear winner IMHO.

Later,

Forest Man

Last edited:
njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Thanks Mark

Here's another link about the volt from a bit different perspective.
Mark,

Thanks I hadn't seem that thread in my research.

Forest Man!

P.S. Reason for lower range in cold is because eletric heat w/o ICE is expensive eltricity wise. Interestingly Volt has automatic seat heaters to warm peoeple so they won't blast heat through vents.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Mark,

Thanks I hadn't seem that thread in my research.

Forest Man!

P.S. Reason for lower range in cold is because eletric heat w/o ICE is expensive eltricity wise. Interestingly Volt has automatic seat heaters to warm peoeple so they won't blast heat through vents.
I'm not yet convinced about electric vehicles. From an economics standpoint, I can't see how they would save anybody money, when compared with a similar gas powered vehicle. And, from the "green" perspective, as long as so much power generation in North america is from coal- or oil-fired plants, you don't really reduce emissions. There may be a case for the reduction of smog in city centres, but you're just moving it elsewhere, not eliminating it.

Then, what about battery disposal after it has reached the end of its life? At this time, I consider electric vehicles to be neither economical nor particularly green. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but hey, my opinion is free.;)

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not yet convinced about electric vehicles. From an economics standpoint, I can't see how they would save anybody money, when compared with a similar gas powered vehicle. And, from the "green" perspective, as long as so much power generation in North america is from coal- or oil-fired plants, you don't really reduce emissions. There may be a case for the reduction of smog in city centres, but you're just moving it elsewhere, not eliminating it.

Then, what about battery disposal after it has reached the end of its life? At this time, I consider electric vehicles to be neither economical nor particularly green. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but hey, my opinion is free.;)
Amen, brother. This is what I have been trying to tell the world but they haven't been listening. :rolleyes:

I feel a rant coming on...

The bigger question is: where is that power supposed to come from when there are more electric cars on the street? The power grid is already over-stressed, and adding a bunch of e-cars sure isn't going to help that. We can't build nuclear plants because of all of the uninformed, terrified sheep throwing fits about how dangerous it is (when in reality, if properly regulated, inspected, and operated, it is probably the best option we have), wind power is inefficient, unreliable, and expensive, solar power is an even bigger waste of money and space, we can't flood valleys to build hydroelectric dams, and we can't build coal plants because they are too dirty. I guess that leaves natural gas plants, and I can't think of the convenient reasons right now not to use them, but I am sure there are plenty.

I did a study back in school that was quite revealing. If everyone in America were to switch to an electric car, the power requirements on top of our current system would be astronomical. IIRC, we would require over 750 new high-capacity nuclear power plants (think somewhere around $8 billion each for construction alone, not accounting for operating costs) or over 4500 new coal power plants (probably about $1 billion each for construction alone) to support the additional demand. Those numbers are probably higher now, as I did this study several years ago. Also keep in mind that these are numbers for the US only, they aren't even accounting for the rest of the world!

The bottom line is that most people don't even know/think/care about the upstream effects of their cars - just as long as their tailpipes are cleaner, they must be saving the world. Most of the math/science just falls on deaf ears, or isn't being screamed loud enough, because really the only people that get heard these days are politicians and celebrities. Also, I think people pushing these things may know the science, but just have a selfish agenda, if you know what I mean...

Then again, some people just don't want to pay for the gas, even though the extra expense on their car doesn't pay for itself in gas savings, especially with the increase in the electric bill. :)

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
That's sooooo much better than talking about tubes up the urethra.:D

Ironically, both subjects make me feel a little funny...down there.:confused:
One is a fun kind of funny. The other aint much fun.

After a visit to the doc yesterday, it turns out that I have type number 3. Joy joy.:cool:

I hope they at least have some good drugs for me.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

After a visit to the doc yesterday, it turns out that I have type number 3. Joy joy.:cool:

Best of luck to you, buddy! From your previous description of No.3, it ain't gonna be fun.:(

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Interestingly Volt has automatic seat heaters to warm peoeple so they won't blast heat through vents.
I don't need electric seat warmer, just some mexican food with beans before driving. ...and a clothespin. :rolleyes:

majorloser

majorloser

Kidney stones run in my family. My sister get #3 done a couple times a year. She can't pass the stones and the bathtub stone crusher doesn't work. Me, I've been lucky (yeah, right) and can pass the frickin' spiny sea urchins. :mad:

Oh, and did I mention that hydrocodone, oxycodone and morphine don't work on me? It's either pass the things "au natural" or get admitted so I can get intravenous Fentanyl. Even then they have to give me a double dose just to take the edge off. (Yes, I am a horse)

J

jamie2112

Banned
I like taco's don't you think thats something I might wanna know...I thought Alex gave you the creeps anyway.......

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Kidney stones run in my family. My sister get #3 done a couple times a year. She can't pass the stones and the bathtub stone crusher doesn't work. Me, I've been lucky (yeah, right) and can pass the frickin' spiny sea urchins. :mad:

Oh, and did I mention that hydrocodone, oxycodone and morphine don't work on me? It's either pass the things "au natural" or get admitted so I can get intravenous Fentanyl. Even then they have to give me a double dose just to take the edge off. (Yes, I am a horse)
Yike yike yike yike...........:eek:

Well... I'm done with all the pre-surgery testing, questioning and poking. Tomorrow I get my family Doctor to say it's ok to go in, and Monday I go under. :eek:

I sure hope they know what their doing down there.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis