Mitsubishi DLP - Good Idea or Bad?

M

Melee

Audioholic
I have recently been considering selling my current tv and upgrading to a larger one. I am upgrading my Receiver and Surround Sound System and I figure it's time for a Television upgrade as well since I have had this one for a few years now.

Right now, I have a Toshiba Regza 46". (Model # 46RV535U to be exact.)

I was browsing around checking prices and came across the Mitsubishi DLP's which I hadn't really heard of before. However, the prices on them are ridiculously attractive. I've seen the 60" for around $500-$600 and the 65" for $700-$800. I've also seen the 73" for ~ $1,000 but I honestly don't know if I have enough room for it.

This is for my bedroom which is 13' x 13' x 7'. The 46" looks small in here so I know that the 60" is logical. The 65" I'm not sure about but bigger is normally better. :p The 73" is probably too big. I would LOVE to have it, but at over 6' wide, it would take up half of the back wall. If you guys think I can fit it, I will definitely consider it. I know it would be large in here for now but then I would have it if I move into a large location.

I watch a lot of movies and tv shows on Netflix and DVD and for 95% of it, I am normally sitting in my computer chair or recliner which are in the middle of the room. (aka the Listening/Viewing Area. :) ) I also do a fair amount of gaming as well. I sleep with my tv on as I've done it since I was little and I can't sleep without it. I'm not sure what else I need to tell you guys? lol

How big of a difference is it going to be in picture quality going from an LCD to a DLP? I don't have a hefty budget (hoping for around $500-$700 at most) so the DLP seems by far to be my best choice for a large tv if the PQ is satisfactory. I am planning on picking up a Blu-Ray Player soon so I definitely want nice video quality for it, Netflix, and video games.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I need to know about them that might sway my decision? The only real downside I have seen to them is that the bulb will most likely have to be changed every 2-4 years from the reviews I have read which is okay since they seem to be available for $75-$80.

Thanks for the help!

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
DLP is just fine. Its just that the size of the set turns most people away.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
its not the "size" of the set. its the "depth" of the set. people are hung up on the "flat panel" thing. and in many cases i can see where this is desirable. but if the space is there, moving the front of the display out from the wall not only is not a problem, but can be beneficial. in that your speakers line up with the display better. ymmv.

i sit 8' from my 65" for daily viewing, no movies, just tv. if i watched movies on it, i would HATE to have smaller.

if you leave the tv on when you are not actually watching it = sleeping. you are VASTLY shorting its life. in that case, i would get a cheap small tv for sleeping purposes.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

oh. afa the pq. i am no pro on this. but i would say its not the best. though it can be quite good. just depends on how picky you are. but for the size vs $$$ ratio. it can't be beat. (pj's not included)

M

Melee

Audioholic
Well, the size of the set I have no problem with. The back wall is 13' long and the only thing on it is my television. Also, as you said, the depth will bring it out to be even with the front of my speakers.

However, the picture quality and longevity are concerns for me. I assume it's not going to be as good as an LCD or Plasma in PQ, but if it's going to be a huge step down then I will probably just hold off for now. And if I paid the extra to get a smaller tv in addition, then I could just about afford an LCD of similar size. I can't really find any solid ground in this regard since half the people are extremely happy with the PQ and the rest are happy with the size but disappointed with the PQ. At $600-$800 for a 60-65" TV, though, it's definitely hard to pass up.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the size of the set I have no problem with. The back wall is 13' long and the only thing on it is my television. Also, as you said, the depth will bring it out to be even with the front of my speakers.

However, the picture quality and longevity are concerns for me. I assume it's not going to be as good as an LCD or Plasma in PQ, but if it's going to be a huge step down then I will probably just hold off for now. And if I paid the extra to get a smaller tv in addition, then I could just about afford an LCD of similar size. I can't really find any solid ground in this regard since half the people are extremely happy with the PQ and the rest are happy with the size but disappointed with the PQ. At $600-$800 for a 60-65" TV, though, it's definitely hard to pass up.
DLP can give a good picture, but it is less reliable than a good LCD or plasma. The viewing angle will not be as good as a plasma. You will probably need to buy an expensive light every couple of years, but it depends on the light source in the particular TV that you buy, as some use LEDs or lasers, which will be different from the traditional bulb that typically has to be replaced periodically, and usually costs well over $100, sometimes much more.

N

NETXrazorback

Audiophyte
I recently purchased the entry level WD 73C10 Mitsubishi DLP tv. I do not agree with anyone who suggests that I have lower or less picture quality than with other options. I have 5 different friends that have purchased this set in sizes from 60" to 73" since seeing mine on Directv-HD. My previous set was/ is a 51" Hitachi HD. I moved the Hitachi to a "smaller" room.

Go to a show room and prove it to your self if you have any doubts.

M

Melee

Audioholic
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm still trying to decide which is the best route for me. I mean, I don't NEED a tv right now as mine is still relatively new and still in great shape w/ a beautiful picture. My desire is simply for a bigger tv with equally good PQ. I'm still reading up on DLP to figure out if it's right for me.

The other option I have, since this is a want scenario and not need, is to wait for a big sale and try to find a nice deal on a 55-60" LCD or Plasma. I know Black Friday always has great deals on tv's and other electronics. That is still like 8 months away, but if it is going to make a huge difference then I would rather save up during that time and buy the best tv that I possibly can.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Plasmas and projectors have the best picture quality. I am quite familiar with DLP RPTVs, and they sit at or near the bottom of the totem pole. The inferior reliability has been pretty well documented too. What is nicest about them has already been noted, it's the lower price for the screen size.

If I was to buy a television, there is only one choice for me, and that is the Panasonic flagship TV, the VT25 (I mean outside of the super huge TVs, whether 4K, etc.) My only display now is a PJ though. Since I watch 99% film, 24p without 3:2 is pretty important to me, and the VT25 also happens to be the only Pana plasma that can do this.

However, in this particular situation, the greatest improvement for the money is to forget DVD almost every single time that the Bluray is available. A Panasonic BDP will be about $100 or slightly more. The netflix rentals will cost a couple bux more per month. The BD purchases might be 25% more in cost, as an outta the butt offering, but since you're getting an increase of over 600% in pixels from DVD (2,073,600 IIRC), and lossless mch audio, I would say you are getting much more in return.

The source material might be the most important thing in both video and audio.

N

NETXrazorback

Audiophyte
Maybe so but.............

I own two 32" Panasonic LCD's. They are 1080P displays and have awesome pictures. They are in my kids bedrooms. Nobody will walk through my den if there is a seat open to even see how I hung them on the wall. This is even with the raw cable not their "HD". The Directv HD source completes the picture. My youngest watches the DLP when I am not home to banish him to his room. This is without the 3-D. I use a matched Hitachi DVD player and a HD ROKU player with my old Hitachi and it gets second biling to the DLP.
:D

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Well, the size of the set I have no problem with. .
then you don't know what you are missing.

me, i will sacrifice some pq for size. display size is just like subwoofer size.
size does make a differance.

46" for lights down movies ? i would have to sit 4' from it. lol

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
I recently purchased the entry level WD 73C10 Mitsubishi DLP tv. I do not agree with anyone who suggests that I have lower or less picture quality than with other options. I have 5 different friends that have purchased this set in sizes from 60" to 73" since seeing mine on Directv-HD. My previous set was/ is a 51" Hitachi HD. I moved the Hitachi to a "smaller" room.

Go to a show room and prove it to your self if you have any doubts.
I agree! I have the 73C10 as well and I would much rather watch it than my Panasonic 50" plasma just because of the size diff.... Sure the plasma looks good but so does the mit.... maybe the plasma looks better but its not so much a difference for me.....
The ONLY bad thing is the life span for DLPS.... I do my own repairs so I can live with it.......<< I have not had any problems yet!!!

M

Melee

Audioholic
then you don't know what you are missing.

me, i will sacrifice some pq for size. display size is just like subwoofer size.
size does make a differance.

46" for lights down movies ? i would have to sit 4' from it. lol
No, you misunderstood my statement. :p lol

I meant that the size of the unit was not a problem for me as in I don't care that they are deeper than flat screen lcd's and plasmas.

I do only sit around 5-6 feet from mine because it's in my bedroom. ^_^

I am in college and I live in an apartment with two roommates. We all have our televisions and such in our rooms. My room is 13' x 13' x 7'.

The problem is that I don't believe I can accommodate a 65" or 73" television in here. It would be overwhelming and far overkill for a room this size.

So, if I bring it down to 55"-60", then I can probably find a nice Panasonic Plasma for not much more than the DLP which would be a better buy, right?

L

lmyers

Enthusiast
I am looking at the Mits DLP's as well... I have owned a 250 lb. 55" CRT monster box for over 8 years, so am used to the depth... I have big speakers anyway, so the the extra space taken by the display helps to balance the appearance of the front soundstage.

My current display looked big for about a week, and I began to realize that 65" would have been so much better, especially after demo-ing projectors on 100"-plus screens. There are some films that need that big screen to play out the scenery and effects (LOTR, to name my favorite).

The LCD's and LED's sure have eye-popping HD, some almost too much so to my eyes, and seeming to lose the "film" appearance, and I have been taken aback by the motion stuttering I see during quick vertical camera moves on some of these sets.

I definitely at the point right now where, if I were to buy a new display, it would likely be the 82" Mitsubishi DLP. Nothing smaller would satisfy.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

I meant that the size of the unit was not a problem for me as in I don't care that they are deeper than flat screen lcd's and plasmas.

I am in college and I live in an apartment with two roommates. We all have our televisions and such in our rooms. My room is 13' x 13' x 7'.

The problem is that I don't believe I can accommodate a 65" or 73" television in here. It would be overwhelming and far overkill for a room this size.

So, if I bring it down to 55"-60", then I can probably find a nice Panasonic Plasma for not much more than the DLP which would be a better buy, right?
oh, ok.

a 65"+ would be fine in that room. i wouldn't have anything smaller.

there are 60" plasmas for $700 ?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Unless you are half blind, you ought not get one bigger than what you have. If you have 20/20 vision, with a 46" TV, one can see all of the detail of 1080p at about 5.98 feet from it:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/viewing_distance.php?resolution=2&size=46

Any closer and one will start to see too much. A larger screen at that same distance is like being closer to your screen.

Of course, if you don't like having a perfectly clear picture, or want to look at pixels rather than the image that normal people want to see, then go ahead and get a bigger TV.

Of course, the above is assuming you are measuring the distance from your eyes, not your feet while lying down.

Also, if you don't start seeing too much when you are closer than about 5.98 feet, you should go visit an optometrist and get a new prescription.

M

Melee

Audioholic
oh, ok.

a 65"+ would be fine in that room. i wouldn't have anything smaller.

there are 60" plasmas for $700 ?
I have seen (just searching for deals and such) the large Panasonic Plasma's in the 50-60" Range w/ nice prices ranging from around $600-$700 or so on the 50-52" and $800-$1000 on the 55"-60".

Unless you are half blind, you ought not get one bigger than what you have. If you have 20/20 vision, with a 46" TV, one can see all of the detail of 1080p at about 5.98 feet from it:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/viewing_distance.php?resolution=2&size=46

Any closer and one will start to see too much. A larger screen at that same distance is like being closer to your screen.

Of course, if you don't like having a perfectly clear picture, or want to look at pixels rather than the image that normal people want to see, then go ahead and get a bigger TV.

Of course, the above is assuming you are measuring the distance from your eyes, not your feet while lying down.

Also, if you don't start seeing too much when you are closer than about 5.98 feet, you should go visit an optometrist and get a new prescription.
This is the exact point that I was trying to make above. :D lol The 46" is about the perfect size when I'm sitting close but I think that maybe a 52"-55" would be ideal as hopefully not much of the picture quality would be sacrificed for the size.

From basically every time I've browsed the tv's in Best Buy or Wal-Mart, it always seem like the smaller televisions have the better PQ. The 30"-40" are normally excellent, but too small for me. The 42"-52" are the sweet spot, imo, as they have excellent PQ and the right size. I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of viewing one larger than that and I've never seen a DLP at all as no one around here carries them.

I'm thinking that for right now, keeping my tv would be in my best interest. I will be moving in the Summer (don't know where yet) so it may end up with me having a smaller room or I may have a huge room where a larger tv would be perfect. At that time, I can just wait until Black Friday and see what kind of deals they have on 50"-60" Plasma's/LCD's and the DLP's. I'm just not sure if the DLP is a good fit for me, though. My television stays on basically 24/7 and I'm afraid that with a DLP that I would run through bulbs like crazy.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It is true that if you possess 20/20 vision, you do sacrifice some softening of the resolution as you get closer than the threshold. That said, I'm not sure that I have ever run into a single dedicated theater that did not choose a larger viewing angle when given the space to do so. That includes just about any AHer who owns a PJ, including a professional videographer. There is one AHer who I think has about a 50 deg angle, but it is a cinemascope setup. Actually the pro videographer probably does too.

THX starting recommendations are more immersive than the CB threshold, at 36-40 degrees depending who you ask. I use a 42 degree viewing angle, after so much experimentation, and the theaters are almost always more immersive in my experiences from a typical seat, whether it's the regular theater, digital DLP theater, or IMAX theater.

M

MADMAN66

Enthusiast
Thinking about it more I agree you should wait.... in 6 months LED's will be a bit lower and you can leave it on forever....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis