Down to two speakers klipsch vs. monitor audio

K

karlmalone1

Enthusiast
Hey everyone i'm going to be purchasing a new set of stereo speakers to be powered by a yamaha r-s700 receiver. I have it down to the klipsch rf-82 II (or rf-62 II) or the monitor audio rx6 (or rx8). Basically i'd like to know your guys thoughts and what you would choose. It will be about half music/half movies. My main music will be radiohead and pink floyd, and a vast variety of movies. What's your guys thoughts? Thanks

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Hey everyone i'm going to be purchasing a new set of stereo speakers to be powered by a yamaha r-s700 receiver. I have it down to the klipsch rf-82 II (or rf-62 II) or the monitor audio rx6 (or rx8). Basically i'd like to know your guys thoughts and what you would choose. It will be about half music/half movies. My main music will be radiohead and pink floyd, and a vast variety of movies. What's your guys thoughts? Thanks
Extremely confused.

Have you even listened to these speakers? You could not have picked a more opposite sounding comparison.

Usually people have a hard time picking between two similar sounding speakers.

K

karlmalone1

Enthusiast
Extremely confused.

Have you even listened to these speakers? You could not have picked a more opposite sounding comparison.
Really? Hmm but no i haven't listened to either of these speakers, i'm basically just done some research and these are two highly regarded ones. Also it will be hard for me to listen to either of these speakers, so I most likely will have to rely on the internet. And sorry for not being more informed, do these speakers have vastly different sound?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Very different speakers. If you haven't listened to them you owe it to yourself to do so.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Really? Hmm but no i haven't listened to either of these speakers, i'm basically just done some research and these are two highly regarded ones. Also it will be hard for me to listen to either of these speakers, so I most likely will have to rely on the internet. And sorry for not being more informed, do these speakers have vastly different sound?
Vastly different is an understatement.

Where are you?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Columbus, Ohio area. But what are your thoughts on both of these?
Monitor audio R series are laid back.
Very smooth, but detailed treble.
Laid back mids, and lacking here.
Smooth respectable mid-bass, but no oomph.

Klipsch RF series are in your face.
Very bright, over-the-top treble.
Mids are crisp, detailed, and good overall.
Mid-bass is tight, punchy, and respectable.

These are just general descriptions off the top of my head, and I am no reviewer. I auditioned both lines extensively, and due to my dislikes of each, went a different direction.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The Klipsch Reference speakers have a reputation for being a bright and an upfront speaker. The Monitor Audio speakers have a reputation for being more laid back and having a softer high end. These are generalizations of course because it is all subjective. You might not think the same as me or someone else. Both are good speakers and should be listened to before spending good money on them.

K

karlmalone1

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys, and while i know sound is more or less subjective, we can all tell when something is quality and what sounds BETTER, on the whole. Based on these descriptions, the klipsch sound like a much better speaker. As a reference, i always turn my treble up fairly high in my car audio system, as i prefer the sound, does this mean i'm more klipsch oriented? I will try to find these speakers and try them out for myself, though.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
This reply will be getting edited as I find dealers.

Tannoy here:
http://www.jimmyrea.com/

RBH here:
http://www.crystalclearaudioandvideo.com/index.php

High-end Joseph Audio here:
http://www.archiveaudio.biz/index.html

Focal/JM Labs, Paradigm, Revel here:
http://genesisaudio.com/html/frameset-products.htm

PSB here:
http://architecturalvideo.com/avsmain5.html

Martin Logan, Mordaunt-Short, and NHT here:
http://www.parkaudiolabs.com/index.html

Monitor Audio, PSB here:
http://www.buckeyeav.com/index.php

Out of all these options, you should not have a problem finding what you like. I wish I had such an extensive group of dealers.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the input guys, and while i know sound is more or less subjective, we can all tell when something is quality and what sounds BETTER, on the whole. Based on these descriptions, the klipsch sound like a much better speaker. As a reference, i always turn my treble up fairly high in my car audio system, as i prefer the sound, does this mean i'm more klipsch oriented? I will try to find these speakers and try them out for myself, though.
If I had to choose, I like MA better. I recommend visiting any of my previous links to audition speakers in/around your area.

K

karlmalone1

Enthusiast
thanks a lot zumbo, you've been a huge help. I will try to demo some various speakers from the dealers you've posted, and make a decision from there.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
thanks a lot zumbo, you've been a huge help. I will try to demo some various speakers from the dealers you've posted, and make a decision from there.
Take PF The Wall with you.

Audition with "Mother".

This will give you the option to pay attention to the detail of the speaker during the intro portion of the song.

Then, as the song opens-up, pay attention to the speakers ability to separate the instruments, while delivering a powerful presence.

The other good thing about this song title is the time it takes it to get going. Forces the dealer to be patient with you, while giving you time to do a proper audition.

Make sure the dealer is NOT using SACD. This is a great way to make you think the product is better than it is. Once you get close to a decision within each dealer, there is nothing wrong with the dealer showing-off SACD with the speakers you like best.

Also be sure you audition with similar SS power. Tubes will also render the audition useless as it will not be the power option I assume you are using.

C

Chris0666

Enthusiast
I'm a Pink Floyd and Roger Waters fanatic - I went with Klipsch - RF62 mains, RC-52 center, 2 pairs RS42's and a Klipsch sub as well and am extremely pleased listening to my shine on boxed set on these speakers. Paired with a Yamaha reciever as well. Hope this helps.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Klipsch

See attached shootout from Audioholics.....Invariably, people who never owned or listened to Klipsch will tell you they are too bright....nonsense. They won in this case against other speakers that are not known for brightness. Since you are 50-50 music and movies, the significant point here is that they used music as the test material. Klipsch are very efficient and dynamic and they are even more well suited to HT. I do believe they would have won an HT shootout by an even larger margin. Intersting that the Monitor Audios are one of the few other brands which also have a cerometalic woofer. They are also very good and well balanced. My main point here is to warn you of the "wives tales" concerning horn speakers.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/2010-1k-faceoff

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
See attached shootout from Audioholics.....Invariably, people who never owned or listened to Klipsch will tell you they are too bright....nonsense.
If you read my replies carefully, I gave my opinion of Klipsch RF series. I made it perfectly clear it was an opinion, and also made it perfectly clear I was no reviewer.

I also informed I auditioned Klipsch RF series extensively.

After my opinion, the OP felt Klipsch was a better fit for him.

Then I located several places for the OP to audition speakers, and recommended he do so. Extensively.

So, there was 0 "nonsense."

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Monitor Audo

try this site for MA prices....might have to call for price on what you want.....they have some G10s for $749 new which is a very good price, but bookshelf

http://saturdayaudio.com/

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Sorry, not aimed at you.....your comments were to the point and helpful.....aimed at previous 10,000 opinions on various sites over the years.....some of the same ones who claimed Yamaha was too bright and frogs caused warts

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
See attached shootout from Audioholics.....Invariably, people who never owned or listened to Klipsch will tell you they are too bright....nonsense. They won in this case against other speakers that are not known for brightness. Since you are 50-50 music and movies, the significant point here is that they used music as the test material. Klipsch are very efficient and dynamic and they are even more well suited to HT. I do believe they would have won an HT shootout by an even larger margin. Intersting that the Monitor Audios are one of the few other brands which also have a cerometalic woofer. They are also very good and well balanced. My main point here is to warn you of the "wives tales" concerning horn speakers.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/2010-1k-faceoff
If you read my replies carefully, I gave my opinion of Klipsch RF series. I made it perfectly clear it was an opinion, and also made it perfectly clear I was no reviewer.

I also informed I auditioned Klipsch RF series extensively.

After my opinion, the OP felt Klipsch was a better fit for him.

Then I located several places for the OP to audition speakers, and recommended he do so. Extensively.

So, there was 0 "nonsense."
I don't feel that Klipsch RF's are bright, but they do have that reputation. I would like to own a set but I already have too many speakers...did I just say that?!:D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Can't wait to see what the OP likes. He sure has a lot of dealers with killer stuff.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis