Fluance SX-HTB+ 5.0 Speaker System Review

S

stansbca

Audiophyte
Admittedly, I don't own the Fluance speakers and haven't heard them, but I think you may be underestimating the Infinity Betas. Do agree about the low-end Polks though. I bout a pair of R15s just to see, and they've been in a box waiting for a garage sale ever since.
I used the sell boatloads of the Betas. I thought they were awesome awesome speakers for the money. The Beta 50s definitely do better on bass with the 8 inch drivers, but I like the Fluance's tweeters better. The CMMD was a little grating to me. My friend had the Revel Concerta series speakers (more expensive Beta 50s) and I have heard many of my favorite DVD-As and SACDs on both systems and really can't say the Concertas impressed me any more than the fluances. I even used the same source (Pioneer Elite 45a) for both. He had a Pioneer elite receiver vs. my Sherwood. Otherwise, they were pretty much exactly the same conditions/room size/setup. Now when we went to his other room and listened to his McIntosh MC500-powered B&W 801s, I no longer was impressed by the fluances... And yeah...the R15s were exactly what I had in mind ;)

As far as the drivers in the Fluances, they appear to be Vifas for the front towers and Goldwoods. Funny thing is, I priced out what it would cost me to build the fluances using parts express vifa/goldwood pricing and I literally couldn't build them for what I paid.

Last edited:
C

ColdsnapBryan

Audiophyte
Fluance must lie about their warranty because I tried to replace one of my speakers that stopped working for no reason and Paul from fluance told me I'm out of warranty.

C

ColdsnapBryan

Audiophyte
Fluance must lie about their warranty because I tried to replace one of my speakers that stopped working for no reason and Paul from fluance told me I'm out of warranty.
I would like to update that there was a miscommunication on my part; Fluance updating their warranty to a lifetime duration in 2009, I purchased my system around the end of 2008. I received a call back and they are honoring the warranty, which is great. I am very happy.

B

bigredmachine

Audiophyte
I bought the AV line 5.0 setup and have been incredibly impressed. One speaker arrived with one of the midrange drivers damaged and instantly doubted my purchase..However, customer service sent a replacement for driver quickly with no questions asked. I have recommended their products to anyone looking for a quality speaker system but doesn't have the budget for others.

I would like to update that there was a miscommunication on my part; Fluance updating their warranty to a lifetime duration in 2009, I purchased my system around the end of 2008. I received a call back and they are honoring the warranty, which is great. I am very happy.
I'd say that's less "miscommunication" and more "they read this thread and thought it might be wise to take care of you" - lol.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
+ One year and eleven days

I'd say that's less "miscommunication" and more "they read this thread and thought it might be wise to take care of you" - lol.
:D.

That was easy to miss though :).

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Oddly enough i have two friends who have this system. 1 of my friends bi-amped the towers the other did not

the friend who bi-amped 150w per channel:

the difference is immense, especially in the bass department. These towers LOVE power. I have to say that i was shocked at the low end response from 40-80hz, i could feel the bass on my chest.

The other friend who has them hooked up to a cheap pioneer receiver with 70w/ch bass response is decent, but no wheres near the bass response my other friend is getting with the powers bi-amped

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oddly enough i have two friends who have this system. 1 of my friends bi-amped the towers the other did not

the friend who bi-amped 150w per channel:

the difference is immense, especially in the bass department. These towers LOVE power. I have to say that i was shocked at the low end response from 40-80hz, i could feel the bass on my chest.

The other friend who has them hooked up to a cheap pioneer receiver with 70w/ch bass response is decent, but no wheres near the bass response my other friend is getting with the powers bi-amped
Just curious Marc. How similar is the placement/room size/room construction between these systems? Also, where there any tone controls in play? Ie: bass knob turned up etc.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Both rooms are definitely over 4000 cubic feet ( open concept bungalow) .

Imo the only pieces worth it are the towers ... the sxs surrounds and sxc center are the weak point ... I would just buy the towers separately and 2 sets of sx6's bookshelves ( one set for rears and one speakers for center ) ... This Would make a sweet budget setup.. the only concern would be the extra/unused sx6

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Something I would like to add that I failed to mention

My friend who biamped is using the Onkyo TX-NR646 100 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC).

He's also only using it 2.0 and he's bi-amping using the extra rear channel. so i'm guessing he's sending 100-150w of power per speaker.

My other friend using the cheap Pioneer receiver and is setup with a full 5.0.
With all channels driven he's most likely only getting 25-40w per channel.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Both rooms are definitely over 4000 cubic feet ( open concept bungalow) .

Imo the only pieces worth it are the towers ... the sxs surrounds and sxc center are the weak point ... I would just buy the towers separately and 2 sets of sx6's bookshelves ( one set for rears and one speakers for center ) ... This Would make a sweet budget setup.. the only concern would be the extra/unused sx6
The SX towers wouldn't be my first choice. Fluance's response graph for the Classic Elite / SXHTB towers hints at problems: cone breakup around the 3.5kHz crossover point, some sort of phase cancellation, and a general recessed sound and probably poor imaging. The Signature Series would be the only Fluance towers I'd consider -- but even then, in that price range I think I'd prefer to audition the Emotiva Airmotiv T1, the RBH R55Ti, the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 + pedestal stands, or wait for JBL to offer another deep discount on their Studio 580 towers. In the $300 range of the Fluance SX towers I'd sooner stick with bookshelf speakers -- probably the Affordable Accuracy monitors, or shop for used.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Biamping off the same power supply doesn't increase the power. Passively biamping dosent do anything and I bet your friend would be surprised to learn that he is probably only pushing a watt or two most of the time.

QUOTE="MarcG, post: 1220030, member: 83322"]Something I would like to add that I failed to mention

My friend who biamped is using the Onkyo TX-NR646 100 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC).

He's also only using it 2.0 and he's bi-amping using the extra rear channel. so i'm guessing he's sending 100-150w of power per speaker.

My other friend using the cheap Pioneer receiver and is setup with a full 5.0.
With all channels driven he's most likely only getting 25-40w per channel.[/QUOTE]

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis