Teac Reference Series

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I think i'm going to look into either the cambridge audio S30 or the energy RC-10 mini. both look like they would fit the bill for my needs as small speakers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm keeping a leary eye out the window, eagerly awaiting my package to arrive.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The eagle has landed!

This little guy weighs a mere 8.6 pounds. It has a form factor a little larger than expected, but it's still very small. I'll be openning it up in a few minutes and posting more pictures.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Nice, Seth! Enjoy the system.The silver componentry looks classy, and hearkens back to the heyday of hi-fi -- which is what a lot of people and reviewers say about the Onkyo 9555 integrated amp in silver...;)

Now, one piece is a "home theater receiver" and the other an AM/FM stereo receiver?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'll be doing higher quality shots later on, once I've cleaned this up a little.

On the rear we have several gold plated analog inputs, S-video, and composite. It also has a dedicated subwoofer preout (crossover fixed at 90Hz). It also has what Teac thinks is a Zone 2 Out A/V output, however it is a simple loop output (no level control or indepedent input selection). It's always nice to see digital inputs, 3 of them (2 optical/1 coaxial), and 2 outputs (1 optical/1 coaxial). I don't have a need for digital outputs, but it's a welcome inclusion. I would have rather seen this space go to actual preouts. The AG-H550 is the only receiver Teac Reference/Legacy has that includes full 5.1 preouts.

Under the hood we've got three distinct modules, each is a stereo Tripath amplifier module. The manual states the stereo output power as such: Output Power (Stereo)(0.9 % THD, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 6 ohms): 80 + 80 watts RMS. The switching power supply is larger than I thought it would be. Comparing the size of this power supply to the one in the A-L700P is night and day (then again I'm comparing a 30 watt x 3 amp to a 50 watt x 5 receiver). The Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic II is powered by a Chrystal processor. The DAC is an IC made by AKM, model AK4586. It is a 6 channel 24 bit DAC with a sampling rate up to 96 kHz. It seems to be a fairly versatile chip.

A close up of one of the TA2022 Tripath output devices. This is the one powering the center channel output, which means only one channel is being utilized on this chip and module.

Here are the DR-L700 (left) and A-L700P (right) DVD/receiver and 3 channel amplifier internal shots for comparison (not my pictures). Observe the identical power supply in both the DVD/receiver and the amplifier and their relatively minuscule size in comparison to the one found in the AG-L800.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here's another picture with more redeeming qualities.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have finally acquired one of the most sought after Teac Reference components.

More to come.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have finally acquired one of the most sought after Teac Reference components.

More to come.
Ohh. Do Tell.

One of these would work well for my great room. I've stuffed an old receiver into the cabinet and have had one of the Marantz low profile ones in mind. One of these may actually be a better solution.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Why would I tell you, when I can show you and tell you?;)

The Teac A-H500 integrated amplifier. Teac's published specifications indicate the A-H500 will deliver 50 watts RMS per channel 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz @ 8 ohms and 80 watts RMS per channel 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz @ 4 ohms.

<center>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
</center>

It has 6 analog inputs including Auxilary, Tuner, CD, Phono, Tape 1, Tape 2/MD. It also has two tape loops and 1/4" dedicated headphone output. Like the A-H300 it also has a CD direct mode, which is supposed to shave off 5 dB off the SNR for the CD while sacrificing Balance, Bass, and Treble controls.

<center>
<br /><br />
</center>

Inside the design is quite eloquent. The large shielded toroidal transformer is flanked by each dedicated amplifier channel which have 4 discrete output transistors of good quality mounted to ample heatsinking for each channel. In front of the transformer rests a capacitor bank of four 4700 uF 50 volt capacitors giving the little amplifier a total of 18800 micro farads block capacitance. Many receivers with power ratings of 100 watts per channel do not have that much filter capacitance.

Underneath the toroidal transformer and shielding the preamp section sits, isolated from the rest of the amplifier components with a nice faraday cage.

<center>
<br /><br />
</center>

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I also got a Teac T-H500 tuner and PD-H303 3 disc CD changer in the deal. They are on the top shelf (tuner underneath receiver, CD changer to the left of tuner).

<center>
<br /><br />
</center>

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've now had the chance to take the A-H500 to higher output levels and I have determined that despite the AG-H500 receiver's 45 watt per channel output rating that the A-H500 integrated amplifier's output must have been measured under very different conditions because its power must be at least twice that of the AG-H500. The extra capacitors and larger transformer as well as twice the output transistors/heatsinking (which appear to be the same transistors and heatsinks inside the AG-H500, just more of them) must equate to at least twice the effective dynamic power, probably more.

No signs of stress at all in my room while using the A-H500 with my Infinity Interlude 10 bookshelf speakers. The bass is by no means thin when pressing the output to higher levels. It's in a whole other league, and it should be since it's design was meant to compliment the VRDS-9 initially before it spawned the rest of the Reference line, which are all lesser animals in comparison to the A-H500 formally the A-H400 in build quality and selection of parts. I imagine the A-H400 and A-H500i are real prizes, although exceedingly rare. The A-H400 looks a little different on the outside, but I'd wager it's got virtually the same guts as the A-H500 and the A-H500i has copper shielding.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Another Teac AG-H300, older one in the original Champagne finish.

N

nastynice

Audiophyte
These mini systems look nice, i been kinda checkin em out lately. Got a couple questions maybe u guys got answers to...

Are all the different reference lines compatible with each other? Like, if i buy a 100 series piece and then a 500 series piece, are they gonna be the same width when I stack them? Made of the same material? Does the gold color match throughout?

Also, does anyone know where they sell a cassette player component to this? My moms old school, bumpin tapes.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
These mini systems look nice, i been kinda checkin em out lately. Got a couple questions maybe u guys got answers to...

Are all the different reference lines compatible with each other? Like, if i buy a 100 series piece and then a 500 series piece, are they gonna be the same width when I stack them? Made of the same material? Does the gold color match throughout?

Also, does anyone know where they sell a cassette player component to this? My moms old school, bumpin tapes.
There is a cassette player for each Reference series. As you can see in the pictures above the width from one series to another are not the same. The 200 series and the 300 series are the same width. The 100 series is not as wide as the 300 series. The 500 series is wider than both.

Keep in mind that these systems are not common. It took me three years to find the components that I wanted in my Reference 500 system.

The cassette deck models are R-H100, R-H300, and R-H500.

The champaign color is not on all units. Some appear to be silver, and they also have a black finish available.

I may be willing to part with my AG-H300 stereo receiver, pictured below, if you're interested in the series. I'm thinking $125 on it. For reference the AG-H300 is 8.5" wide. Even though the first two pictures don't show it well (pictures were taken outside), the AG-H300 I have is the champaign (goldish color). The last picture is of my AG-H300 as well, but indoors.

N

nastynice

Audiophyte
Thats a sick looking reciever. I probably need to get my hands on a cassette player first tho, then get the matching reciver to go with it...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thats a sick looking reciever. I probably need to get my hands on a cassette player first tho, then get the matching reciver to go with it...
Since I have no interest in the matching cassette player I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Teac Reference cassette deck. I'm pretty sure you can check your Private Messages (you won't be able to send me one back with only 2 posts on the forum), but I'll send you my email and you can send me some type of generic email message and I'll tag you with "Teac Ref cassette". If I happen to come across one I will notify you immediately where you can find it if it is available nationally.

biggzy

biggzy

Enthusiast
Hi Seth=L, hope your still active around here and maybe answer my question, i have always wanted a teac reference system since i got into hifi when i was 18 (im 29 now), but got out of it 8 years ago, now im back and in the market for a small system and decided on the original ref 300, now this is the question, is the original color (not the silver/black mk2 or mk3) champagne or gold? i have seen photos and in some they look gold, and others look champagne with a gold rim around the volume knob, i hope its just 1 color so its easy to buy these off ebay and not worry about color matching.

Thanks for any help you can give, im based in the UK if that helps at all.

Why i am here i must add im new, been a reader for a while and had to join, my name is Adam, you have some brilliant photos of the teac series here, makes me want it even more.

thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis