$20 credit at Amazon expires in a few days - need PS3 game recommendation

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Title says it... I have a $20 credit toward a game and it expires 7/31.

I'm looking for recommendations...

I've been considering Heavy Rain, but a quick search shows alot of owners angry about system freezes, crashes, and general glitchiness. The game looks very intriguing, but if it's going to freeze up on me periodically I'd rather not drop the $$ on it. Anyone here experience issues with it?

Another consideration is Bayonetta, although it seems the PS3 port version isn't quite up to snuff with the XBox360 original.

To give an idea what type of games I like..

I'm a big fan of the God of War series, and enjoyed Dante's Inferno, despite that game generally taking a nose dive in the last 1/3 (the 10 challenges part was terrible).

Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite all time games, and while I haven't played much of it, Resident Evil 5 seems to be pretty enjoyable as well.

Another consideration is UFC Undisputed 2010.

As far as games I don't like...
I'm not much for RPG's, and general don't play sports games much - UFC game would be an exception.

Tried out Resistance and got very bored early on so gave up on that. Dead Space was ok, but didn't feel like buying it. Didn't really enjoy Assassin's Creed II or Prince of Persia much.

OK, I'm open to recommendations.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Bayonetta isn't a 360 original, but yeah, I've heard that the ps3 version isn't quite as good.

If you like fighting games, blazblue: continuum shift comes out in a couple days.

If you like god of war, you should like devil may cry and ninja gaiden. There are two ps3 ninja gaiden games - sigma and sigma II. You can get dmc4 for dirt cheap because it isn't as good as dmc or dmc3, but I still enjoyed it.

Uncharted and uncharted 2 are supposed to be stellar, but I've not played either of them.

Check out 3d dot game heroes as well :)

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I would really recommend Skate 3, while the controls take a bit to get used to, once you get it the game is awesome. I don't even like skateboarding and I own all 3 skate games :D

I would also recommend checking out Little Big Planet, it's a platformer and I didn't really enjoy it, but I know a lot of people love it.

Also...Metal Gear Solid 4. 'Nuff said.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I never experienced any technical problems with Heavy Rain. It's a good game, especially if you like quality story telling, but IMO, the replay value was minimal even with the ability to do scenes over again. I had a lot of buyer's remorse after dropping $60 on it. If you can rent it on GameFly or something, I do highly recommend it.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are both a lot of fun - I enjoyed both of them.

Fallout 3 is a blast and has a ton of replay value to me, though it might have too many RPG elements for your tastes. Plus, it can be real buggy (Oblivion was the same way - cmon Bethesda, do some debugging). I would get the GOTY version because that version has all the DLC already.

Red Dead Redemption was a lot like GTA in the Old West. Wasn't something I was eager to keep coming back to, but I did finish the game. I will say, it is very well done.

Infamous is another one I liked...

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't really recommend Infamous. Not that it was a bad game, it was pretty good, but it can get kinda boring. And if he didn't enjoy PoP and ACII I sincerely doubt Infamous will be any different.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Thanks for the recommendations guys....

I'll look into a few of those... Right now, heavily considering:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Bayonetta
Ninja Gaiden 1 or 2
UFC 2010

I want to play Heavy Rain, but maybe renting it is the best bet.

BTW, I had Infamous and didn't like it, sold it off..

Also have Batman Arkum Asylum and do enjoy that game.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I never experienced any technical problems with Heavy Rain. It's a good game, especially if you like quality story telling, but IMO, the replay value was minimal even with the ability to do scenes over again. I had a lot of buyer's remorse after dropping $60 on it. If you can rent it on GameFly or something, I do highly recommend it.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are both a lot of fun - I enjoyed both of them.

Fallout 3 is a blast and has a ton of replay value to me, though it might have too many RPG elements for your tastes. Plus, it can be real buggy (Oblivion was the same way - cmon Bethesda, do some debugging). I would get the GOTY version because that version has all the DLC already.

Red Dead Redemption was a lot like GTA in the Old West. Wasn't something I was eager to keep coming back to, but I did finish the game. I will say, it is very well done.

Infamous is another one I liked...
Oblivion GOTY has one issue, you are not able to complete the side quest Vampire Cure other than that a very good game. I would also suggest Red Dead , Demon Souls, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Oblivion GOTY has one issue, you are not able to complete the side quest Vampire Cure other than that a very good game. I would also suggest Red Dead , Demon Souls, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I was talking about Fallout 3 GOTY, not the Oblivion GOTY. He said he doesn't really care for RPG's, but Fallout 3 has enough action where the RPG elements are less in your face compared to Oblivion.

Demon's Souls is real good, but that has even more RPG to it, plus it's brutally hard when your first getting the hang of things. Great game though.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I was talking about Fallout 3 GOTY, not the Oblivion GOTY. He said he doesn't really care for RPG's, but Fallout 3 has enough action where the RPG elements are less in your face compared to Oblivion.

Demon's Souls is real good, but that has even more RPG to it, plus it's brutally hard when your first getting the hang of things. Great game though.
I should really stop drinking and posting.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bayonetta's issue was fixed with the last update allowing you to install on the HDD. The problem before was all the disc access it needed and installing it removes that problem.

If you haven't played MGS4 that is simply a MUST HAVE. If you haven't played the previous games some of the background details may not make sense though.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
If you haven't gotten your master degree on the study Metal Gear some of the background details may not make sense though.
Fixed...

Seriously...I still don't get half of the small details in that game.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Fixed...

Seriously...I still don't get half of the small details in that game.
Even without fully understanding the backstory it is an exquisite gaming experience and should not be missed.

It is the only metal gear I have played and I have been wanting to play it again.

No one should miss Uncharted and Uncharted 2 also...

Oh and I think there are demos on PSN for all the games you listed. If that helps. Along with UC 1/2.

I'll look into a few of those... Right now, heavily considering:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Bayonetta
Ninja Gaiden 1 or 2
UFC 2010

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don’t have to have played the others in the MGS series but it helps a lot to know the backgrounds of the characters. I agree that even without playing the others it is still one of the most unique games on the PS3. 2 and 3 are also great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis