18” down-firing EGG shaped sub build…

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Even if you were to forget the sanding of the sub, you could just simply refer to it as the "Honey Dipper".

Notice the resemblence?
Yeah, but you'd have to be pretty strong to dip this sucker. It weighs over 150 pounds without the driver.

I sanded all day today. It's not done yet, but I am. My fingers feel like they're gonna fall off. At least there is progress. I may be able to get to the pre-staining tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Think there's enough saw dust? Wifey sure says there's enough.

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
There were plenty of seems that needed attention. A little yellow glue and some saw dust makes a nice wood putty to work with. Tomorrow I'll hit it with the 120 grit and it will be ready for the stain primer.

For a size refference, that's a 2008 Honda CRV behind it.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, I'm impressed! I didn't think you'd be this far this fast. Good work my man!:cool:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The Tri-State Egg In The Light of Day

I'm just concerned that your saw dust and glue might come tumbling out. Even Bondo might not make it.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like we have rain in today's forecast. Not sure how much will get done.
I could use a break anyhow....

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Nice job! Can't wait to see this completed.

Just a thought for getting it upstairs; I'm thinking, wrapping it in a blanket and strapping it to a hand truck.
How far north are you from Mark?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Nice job! Can't wait to see this completed.

Just a thought for getting it upstairs; I'm thinking, wrapping it in a blanket and strapping it to a hand truck.
How far north are you from Mark?
Thanks. Me2.

Wrapping it in a blanket is in the plans. Not sure if the hand truck works with this shape. I will try to see though. I am thinking that straps may help. One step at a time.
We are about 3 hours north of Mark. Coming up?:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice, looking great so far....

Was a final color / finish chosen yet...?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice, looking great so far....

Was a final color / finish chosen yet...?
Thank you,

Yes. I want it to match the piano rosewood speakers I have now. I couldn't find a piano rosewood stain, but did find something called china red. It is kinda close but a little lighter. I also have red oak and mahogany red. Both of them are a little dark and a little on the brown side of red. After experimenting a little, it looks like a coat of china red with a light coat of red oak comes very close. I may throw in some mahogany red highlights. We'll see how the wood takes the first few coats. So far it's all sanded with 40 grit, 80, 120 and 220. Then 2 coats of stain primer. It's drying now. After the staining, it will get more sanding, a couple coats of clearcoat and then sanded and buffed.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
The first coat of china red is drying. It looks more orange than red to me. One more coat of this and then one of red oak should make a nice base.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Talk about thinking outside the box. :rolleyes:

It looks good but it's ... wrong. :D

Subwoofers are not suppose to look like that !!! Didn't you get the memo ?!? :)

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Put a couple of baskets full of jelly beans around it and you'll be all set for Easter next year. :D Very unique. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
The first coat of china red is drying. It looks more orange than red to me. One more coat of this and then one of red oak should make a nice base.
I don't want to be the one to break it to you, but you're a little late for Easter. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis