My first DIY "Acoustic Panels"

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Look what I built today. WooooHooooo I can believe how good these work. I tried the yell at the wall test before and after and I have to say WOW. Its like it just sucks in the noise! I cant wait to do all the walls and I'm going to try and do most of the ceiling as well. I noticed that when I stand in the center of the room and clap really hard, I can hear a slight Twang after the clap, So I know this room needs treatments. These panels are full size 24" x 48" 4" deep. I covered them in a Dark chocolate stretchy grill cloth. I love they way they look! :D

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Oh yeah and FYI, The wife came in the theater and "Oh ....those look nice" So they passed the Wife test.

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
I am going to make some like yours, they look better than the ones I made today!

:eek:

:p

Here are mine prior to mounting:

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
My project for the next week is to also build some room treatments. I got some 3" leftover rockwool from a local place for dirt cheap. I've just been using the bare insulation for experimentation and I already notice a huge improvement. What type of fabric did you use?

Great looking theater by the way!

manlystanley

manlystanley

Audioholic Intern
Look what I built today. WooooHooooo I can believe how good these work. I tried the yell at the wall test before and after and I have to say WOW. Its like it just sucks in the noise! I cant wait to do all the walls and I'm going to try and do most of the ceiling as well. I noticed that when I stand in the center of the room and clap really hard, I can hear a slight Twang after the clap, So I know this room needs treatments. These panels are full size 24" x 48" 4" deep. I covered them in a Dark chocolate stretchy grill cloth. I love they way they look! :D
Great information. Your panels and movie room look sweet!!

Best Regards,
Stan

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
My project for the next week is to also build some room treatments. I got some 3" leftover rockwool from a local place for dirt cheap. I've just been using the bare insulation for experimentation and I already notice a huge improvement. What type of fabric did you use?

Great looking theater by the way!
Thanks!! :D For the fabric I used grill cloth. I got it at Walmart in the fabric section. It was $1.97 a yard. It's nice and stretchy and as you can see from that photo it's really sheer.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
I am going to make some like yours, they look better than the ones I made today!

:eek:

:p

Here are mine prior to mounting:

Those look great, Where are you going to hang them?

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
How much of my ceiling should I cover in panels?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Great work Dave.....makes me wanna get off my keester and treat my room already!

If you don't mind my asking what type/grade is that Roxul, where did you order it from and how much did it cost?

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
How much of my ceiling should I cover in panels?
I'd start with the first reflection points for the front and back rows and go from there. You would normally use a mirror to find those, but it may be tough to do on the ceiling.

I can't see from the pictures if you've trapped the corners, but that's a great spot for treatments too.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Well I got back out in the garage and built two more panels the same size as the first two. I placed these on the rear side walls. I turned them sideways so as to cover most of the coves. So I now have 4 total so far.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
That truly looks great. Excellent job on the panels and HT.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
indeed. i would love to hear/see that room :cool:

i could really use that brown color/pattern on the walls.
how does that do with the light from the screen ?

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Are you talking about the paint on the walls?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Great work Dave.....makes me wanna get off my keester and treat my room already!

If you don't mind my asking what type/grade is that Roxul, where did you order it from and how much did it cost?
Any info you can provide?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis