DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Don't think Jess works for av123 anymore- which is too bad. Spent some time with him during the GTG. He's a good guy. Turns out we know some of the same people in Colorado.

Might have to say hi when I go visit CO. this summer.
I believe Jess is facing some health issues (which were noted on the VA321 forum) before he left the company. Kidney issues, I believe (?)

M

mhawker

Audioholic
I believe Jess is facing some health issues (which were noted on the VA321 forum) before he left the company. Kidney issues, I believe (?)
Thanks. I'll send him a note to wish him well.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
At the rate Schifter delivers, that doesn't leave him much time to get cabinets made that are legitimate A-stock quality and delivered to Sean's residence along with all the parts.

M

Mac11700

Junior Audioholic
At the rate Schifter delivers, that doesn't leave him much time to get cabinets made that are legitimate A-stock quality and delivered to Sean's residence along with all the parts.
He's been late on delivering on any of his promises,and has even crowed about it several times on his forum,like it was something to be proud of ( another reason for them to delete all of his post :rolleyes: ) Let's see if he's late on doing what the courts have mandated. I don't think the courts will accept his excuses,although having part of a fence blow down or a car in for repair might hold up for him-NOT :p

Mac

S

subdude

Banned
Going to "The Other Place" is like looking at AV345 in the early days. They offer ... couples products.
Well, at least they are diversifying. MLS should have done the same, since so many transactions ended with someone getting screwed.

I think "the other place" is going to be the setting for av456 part II in a few years - not in the outright criminal activity, but in the vaporware, zealous army of forum zombies, and now there's mention of QC issues?

Interesting.

"Those who fail to learn from history..."

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Well, at least they are diversifying. MLS should have done the same, since so many transactions ended with someone getting screwed.

I think "the other place" is going to be the setting for av456 part II in a few years - not in the outright criminal activity, but in the vaporware, zealous army of forum zombies, and now there's mention of QC issues?

Interesting.

"Those who fail to learn from history..."
I've seen the "QC issues" thing come up a few times now. In defense of "the other place" (as it's called around here), it's not like they are rampant with QC problems, although there are currently only 2 products.

It seems the issues with the amps were the manufacturers fault (not a surprise given the reputation of that manufacturer), and they were remidied and seem to be otherwise reliable.

The speaker grill problem is really the result of physics and poor design - wood expands/contracts with the humidity, so expecting a MDF grill to stay in place by friction in all conditions is wishful thinking.

Let's not forget that many small companies have some problems. Check out the Virtue Audio circle at AudioCircle. Virtue has a reputation for making some outstanding amps, and even they ran into some minor issues with the new run of amps, which they had to address post production.

I'm not trying to start any arguments about this... and my post is as off topic as the others regarding this subject. Just thought I'd try to keep this "QC issues" topic from getting blow out of proportion.

It seems they are taking all the steps to make sure the future subs are very reliable, so hopefully they are successful in that regard. Time will tell how well that company does, and how reliable the products are.

As far as the vaporware thing - at least "they" have stepped up to flat out say - "We stopped development of this idea for this reason: ______." As I see it, if you're going to be open with design ideas, you have to share both sides, otherwise it really does add to the vaporware argument. So far, that has been handled very differently than how things were done at av451. Like reliability, time will tell how many of the products actually become reality.

So far, as far as I can recall, they've followed through on 2, and openly explained scrapping 3 others. We'll see what happens with the 3 subs. They've also shared a few ideas - "intended products" - but not with the mls type "WE WILL HAVE THIS ___ AVAILABLE" promise, but a "here's something we want to make" comment. And no napkin sketches or useless renderings.

Again, time will tell. But there are an awful lot of predictions aren't there? I'm not going to make any.... I'll just stick with the "wait and see" approach.

Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
BTW, I do post over there, and at a few other places as well. There are good guys and good info across many forums. And all forums have their "zombies".

wshuff

wshuff

Audioholic
Hey Sean make sure to get a haircut and shave before the next appearance. I want you looking your best! :confused: :p :eek: :D

When I first glanced at that picture, I thought he was holding a bow. Sort of looked like Robin Hood. Which is maybe why AV123 parted ways. It wouldn't work to have Robin Hood working for you if you're robbing the middle-class and giving to yourself.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
The speaker grill problem is really the result of physics and poor design - wood expands/contracts with the humidity, so expecting a MDF grill to stay in place by friction in all conditions is wishful thinking.
To their defense, the speaker cabinet is not even their design. Danny would have never spec'd a cabinet like with a recessed baffle. They found a speaker on the asian market where the manufacturer would tweak the internals to their spec. Got Danny to work on it, got the drivers changed (which is why the original pictures had different woofers) and tweaked the crossovers. The speaker may be an exclusive to them in the U.S. market, but my understanding is that it is widely available in Asia and others.

For $200 it is a nice product. Yes, I have a pair.

Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
To their defense, the speaker cabinet is not even their design. Danny would have never spec'd a cabinet like with a recessed baffle. They found a speaker on the asian market where the manufacturer would tweak the internals to their spec. Got Danny to work on it, got the drivers changed (which is why the original pictures had different woofers) and tweaked the crossovers. The speaker may be an exclusive to them in the U.S. market, but my understanding is that it is widely available in Asia and others.

For $200 it is a nice product. Yes, I have a pair.
Interesting... I hadn't heard that.

I owned a pair and also thought it was a good speaker, particularly at that price point.

Last edited:
T

The Ninja

Audioholic Intern
Wow, thanks a lot for posting that :mad:

;)

When Mark first saw it, he thought it was a sex chair :eek:

It is not - just a hanging chair. I swear :)

Hey Sean make sure to get a haircut and shave before the next appearance. I want you looking your best! :confused: :p :eek: :D

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Some say MLS doesn't look the same anymore now that he's in the Witless Protection Program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis