DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
droht

droht

Full Audioholic
av123 should change their name to Brass Balls Audio, 'cause they apparently have a gargantuan set of them. It's almost impressive to see how little they care about reality as they tout the next best thing. What would be even more impressive is seeing some customers ready to sign up for pre-orders. I wonder how many of the remaining flock are willing to show their support with cash?

E

Eddie Horton

Junior Audioholic
There's been a lot of talk about why the Mini line was discontinued without being finished. The official explanation was that there was not enough mids to do another production run. I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that if you have the cash, you can get someone to build drivers to your spec. They don't have the cash, and they have screwed over the original supplier. The same goes with getting anything out of Mr. Pu in China, Uniaudio in Columbia, Ruben for LS cabinets, probably Lucid, whoever they screwed for Rocket driver supply, and the list goes on and on. There is no way I would believe the new Volta center and surround will ever be finished, or that this was planned as the Strata Mini center and surrounds. Buy it now, have no support down the road as another supplier of drivers and cabinets gets left in the lurch. Their biggest problem right now ain't getting new product to market....it's getting anyone to buy it, as the biggest screw-ees were their loyal customers. Anyone buy the original X series, like my parents, only to find they changed tweeters soon after cause' the original ones were junk? Anyone get an X-Sub that never worked right due to cabinet damping material impeding driver movement or wouldn't receive a proper signal from a receiver? How bout' you UFW-12 folks? How's that "improved" hot rod kit working for you? UFW-10 amp folks? Veneer issues? Vaporware? Late or never existing shipment of product? Bad checks? Worthless store credit and gift cards? Might as well turn out the lights and lock the doors.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Anyone buy the original X series, like my parents, only to find they changed tweeters soon after cause' the original ones were junk? Anyone get an X-Sub that never worked right due to cabinet damping material impeding driver movement or wouldn't receive a proper signal from a receiver? How bout' you UFW-12 folks? How's that "improved" hot rod kit working for you? UFW-10 amp folks? Veneer issues? Vaporware? Late or never existing shipment of product? Bad checks? Worthless store credit and gift cards? Might as well turn out the lights and lock the doors.
Don't worry. Mark always makes it right!

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Anyone buy the original X series, like my parents, only to find they changed tweeters soon after cause' the original ones were junk?
I was / am plenty happy with the original tweeters in the X-LS. :confused: What gave you the impression they were junk?

S

Scabbage

Banned
So I just got this email:

AV123 said:
We need to make room for some new products so we are clearing
out all remaining inventory on the ELT Speaker Series.

Don’t wait… at these prices… they will be gone soon!
Cherry Monitors $149/pair free shipping (normally priced at $299)
Rosewood Monitors $179/pair free shipping (normally priced at $299)
Cherry Center Channel $119/each free shipping (normally priced at $249)
Cherry Tower $249.00 /pair free shipping (normally priced at $799)
Rosewood Tower $259.00/pair free shipping (normally priced at $799)
I assume by "make room for some new products" they mean, "we're stalling and about to nose dive."

And to think I was about to try and sell my cherry monitors for about $200. I suspect during this liquidation, everyone thinking about buying AV monitors will buy them, and there will be no one left to buy my 2nd hand speakers (even though they're basically new) unless I sold them for like $75. Uhg. Maybe I should just keep my pair and upgrade them? Anyone familiar with Ninja upgrades?

E

Eddie Horton

Junior Audioholic
I was / am plenty happy with the original tweeters in the X-LS. :confused: What gave you the impression they were junk?
If my memory serves, they changed the tweeters shortly after launch due to them not sounding right.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
If my memory serves, they changed the tweeters shortly after launch due to them not sounding right.
Correct. There were a number of them that tested "out of spec" from the original specs for the tweeter. I had one pair replaced under this program.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
So I just got this email:

I assume by "make room for some new products" they mean, "we're stalling and about to nose dive."

And to think I was about to try and sell my cherry monitors for about $200. I suspect during this liquidation, everyone thinking about buying AV monitors will buy them, and there will be no one left to buy my 2nd hand speakers (even though they're basically new) unless I sold them for like $75. Uhg. Maybe I should just keep my pair and upgrade them? Anyone familiar with Ninja upgrades?
Dayum, those prices have "fire sale" written all over them. I feel for you trying to sell some VA321 gear at this moment in time. It was hard enough to recoup your purchase price in the past with the promotions that VA321 would run. Now, though, it seems much worse.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Dayum, those prices have "fire sale" written all over them. I feel for you trying to sell some VA321 gear at this moment in time. It was hard enough to recoup your purchase price in the past with the promotions that VA321 would run. Now, though, it seems much worse.

It seems like another product line bites the dust?

The prices may seem low but its in relation to a infalted MSRP - not the true MSRP (AV123 never had one). Same thing goes with the shipping costs added onto the purchase price. AV123 was never honest about their pricing so in reality no one ever knows if it is a good deal or not. No idea about the condition of the speakers either. Hey, atleast they are offering free shipping. I would be very suprised if those speakers are anything but b or c-stock.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
On the Rocket Volta it's stated they're using 7" aluminum woofers. Now would that be the same woofers as the 7" metal woofers that he once talked about in the XLS-SWG?

wshuff

wshuff

Audioholic
I'm wondering who designed it. Given that link somebody posted where Danny Richie didn't think it worthwhile to use a Neo8 with a Neo3, it seems doubtful that this would be his work, but he's the last guy I recall being associated with AV123. Or maybe the only "design" work done so far is the press release, and whoever created the rendering. I guess that's about the same amount of design that went into the RSL.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
It seems like another product line bites the dust?

The prices may seem low but its in relation to a infalted MSRP - not the true MSRP (AV123 never had one). Same thing goes with the shipping costs added onto the purchase price. AV123 was never honest about their pricing so in reality no one ever knows if it is a good deal or not. No idea about the condition of the speakers either. Hey, atleast they are offering free shipping. I would be very suprised if those speakers are anything but b or c-stock.
Ironically, though, it seems the ELT speakers was a line that VA321 could successfully apply the veneer to - and, make it last. I'm not sure that many of them ever made it to the "B" stock status ... unlike the stuff coming out of Cali, Colombia.

B

bunnyma357

Audioholic Intern
Ironically, though, it seems the ELT speakers was a line that VA321 could successfully apply the veneer to - and, make it last. I'm not sure that many of them ever made it to the "B" stock status ... unlike the stuff coming out of Cali, Colombia.
My impression of the ELT's was that they were probably a line that was fully developed, and AV123 just imported them. They showed up fully formed and ready to ship, and had none of the normal AV123 issues - pre-release hype, missed deliveries, veneer problems, faulty QC, etc.

Kind of the speaker equivalent of the Melody SP3's.

The only B-Stock I ever recall seeing were some water damaged boxes.

Jim C

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
On the Rocket Volta it's stated they're using 7" aluminum woofers. Now would that be the same woofers as the 7" metal woofers that he once talked about in the XLS-SWG?
I don't think the X-LS SWG was supposed to have a metal woofer, but I could be wrong. Not like it matters though.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Originally (I'm talking '06/'07) I don't think metal woofers were part of the plan, but clearly from Chu's post that had changed in '09. Something to make it worth the wait I suppose.

Seth, are you still #1 in line on these? :D

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
My impression of the ELT's was that they were probably a line that was fully developed, and AV123 just imported them. They showed up fully formed and ready to ship, and had none of the normal AV123 issues - pre-release hype, missed deliveries, veneer problems, faulty QC, etc.

Kind of the speaker equivalent of the Melody SP3's.

The only B-Stock I ever recall seeing were some water damaged boxes.

Jim C

From what I remember this is pretty much spot on. The ELT series kind of fell in to Mark's lap. No pre-hype, just a few ridiculously biased long form reviews he posted when speakers were first on sale.

If you wade through the BS it seems these are not bad speakers, but that is probably the best that can be said about them. Current price is probably about right.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Originally (I'm talking '06/'07) I don't think metal woofers were part of the plan, but clearly from Chu's post that had changed in '09. Something to make it worth the wait I suppose.

Seth, are you still #1 in line on these? :D
Wouldn't surprise me at all droht. MLS was always bouncing around, bobbing and weaving, doing the Ali Shuffle and Texas 2-step. For another fun read of how he kept that carrot dangling, read Tuesday with mls - here are the topics for Chapter 6 and then note how well gsa1 summarized one aspect when he wrote:

Let's start with what customers were told:

July 8, regarding the ULW subs, he said, "The guys at Plitron did an OUTSTANDING JOB with the samples… Of course it all took a few extra days (mainly our fault) – but we moving forward… ' And,
"I’m trying to be more concise with these updates – so forgive the lack of hyperbole – we are simply moving forward – executing our plan to deliver these great subs to you that have waited so long and suffered with us… Thank you folks for your patience..."

"There is not a whole bunch more to add here at this moment. We are simply following the plan we had laid out (about 5 to 6 days behind the schedule) and moving forward."

and from, July 23:
"The transformers have arrived – and they are really everything we could ask for. In fact, we now have two variants for this – and they are BOTH marvelous…

Transformers will be shipped in 10-days --- and then we will begin the process of taking care of each of these categories – one-by-one.

I’m thrilled – excited – and PROUD.
Mission Accomplished – nicely…" (Edit: That's known as the BAIT.)

Now, MLS slams us with yet another flawed decision (and the "switch")... Chinese transformers "manufactured in 10 days." (Ask him when the last person on the waiting list will ACTUALLY GET HIS/HER Sub.)

I have a ULW on order since February. I watch very closely everthing said by MLS about this fiasco. I post very little, preferring to both remain quiet and be patient. At times, I even felt sympathetic.

However, the lastest MLS decision reported today has reached, IMHO, the pinnacle of customer disservice, and CUSTOMER DISRESPECT. The message I feel is "you get what I give you, even after I tell you what you are going to get."

As the SAGA unfolds...

A solution is at hand, a solution is at hand! And It's perrrfect!! A Canadian Co...
(From June 16th) "Folks, the decision here was simple after chatting Howard Gladstone from Plitron again today. Their transformers are simply THE BEST – and what these guys have done for us is something I will never forget…" (EDIT: Until I find something cheaper, anyway.)

From August 08:

But Wait! A call from Steven, in China! He knows a guy who knows a guy... and they are "the Best!" (in China, anyway, all things being relative.) Apparently, Steve reads the forums daily. But it takes a few months to get his message back over here to the good ole USA. Why else, would he have waited to lets MLS in on this great deal? Hasn't this problem been going on like forever?

No matter, we have another great, perrrfect solution, and More great news! This transformer can be "Manufactured" in 10 days! Wait a minute! How long after that can they ship these things? Isn't the whole nation kind of preoccupied with the Olympics? No matter. Oh, we lost shipping slots? Lets just keep trying. Lets say we're flying them in. (two or three, anyway) We can afford that! These things are really cheap!!!

Oh, and when they get to Colorado, we can put one person on them. Produce maybe 50 a week, and everybody should gets there's no later than Christmas! Think of it. These people have prepaid their Christmas presents for this year, at last year's prices. What a deal! We love our customers.

What's that, you say? Some people don't want to wait any more for their ULWs? No problem! Sell em a UFW 15. They can send us a check for the difference. Oh, we still don't have those either? No problem. Tell 'em they'll just LOVE the subs when they get em. Definitely worth the wait!

Remember what PT always said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

"All the best"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis