Xbox 360 Going on a Diet?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
There are some rumors circulating around the internet that Microsoft may come out with a 360 Slim, now if this turns out to be true it will mean that the console war between Fanboys of both Sony and Microsoft will heat up again. I would like to think positive and say if Microsoft does come out with a 360 Slim that alot of the issues that the Fat 360 had I hope have been addressed. Here is a link to GameSpy that reported this.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
ODds are, the issue will probably get worse, since they'll have to shrink cooling fans and such and there's just no need for a 360 slim, I've seen inside it and it could be slim already, but if it has overheating issues now, they're just going to get worse if the case is shrunk.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They shrunk the PS3 and put a larger fan in, so it can be done. It just has to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. There are other methods of cooling besides just fans, but fans are cheap.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Yea sure why not, it'll only be the 6th 360 I'd have to purchase.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Both the XBOX and XBOX 360 very much had that "parts thrown together" feel to them. If the 360 slim is well designed and choice parts are used it could be improved significantly.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
As a 360 owner I have no want or desire to own a "slim" version of the 360 now or in the future.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
There are some rumors circulating around the internet that Microsoft may come out with a 360 Slim, now if this turns out to be true it will mean that the console war between Fanboys of both Sony and Microsoft will heat up again.

XBOX 360 has halo, PS3 automagically loses. :D

i though the 360 was pretty slim already :confused:

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
XBOX 360 has halo, PS3 automagically loses. :D

i though the 360 was pretty slim already :confused:
On the software front sure Xbox has more game titles than the PS3 but in terms of hardware reliability the PS3 still has the edge. :p:D

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
correct and it will outlast the 360 because of it, games are now reaching the 8GB limit of DVD's and either microsoft will have to come out with a new system, or the games are going to suffer.

personally though i am planning to purchase a console within the next 3-6 months and am going for the 360 because of the game titles, i played halo one on my pc, now my pc is to much of a piece of crap to play 2 on it and the fun-factor of that game is enough to make me get a 360 over a ps3. in terms of hardware, aside from the BD drive, they are very similar, if im not mistaken, and i may be, both the 360 and PS3 use 3.6GHZ cores (its either dual core or tri-core), and an ATI graphics card.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
correct and it will outlast the 360 because of it, games are now reaching the 8GB limit of DVD's and either microsoft will have to come out with a new system, or the games are going to suffer.

personally though i am planning to purchase a console within the next 3-6 months and am going for the 360 because of the game titles, i played halo one on my pc, now my pc is to much of a piece of crap to play 2 on it and the fun-factor of that game is enough to make me get a 360 over a ps3. in terms of hardware, aside from the BD drive, they are very similar, if im not mistaken, and i may be, both the 360 and PS3 use 3.6GHZ cores (its either dual core or tri-core), and an ATI graphics card.
The games won't suffer for the 360 exclusively. Games for both platforms would suffer equally unless Sony gains exclusives that where originally multiplatform releases.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The games won't suffer for the 360 exclusively. Games for both platforms would suffer equally unless Sony gains exclusives that where originally multiplatform releases.
It really depends on the game developer. For a 3rd party game gone exclusive I doubt there would be any advantage developing on the PS3-in some ways the game could be inferior than what would have been developed on the PC/360 dev tools. The PS3 is much harder for game developers and they have had this complaint since its release. The majority of developers use the PC/xbox 360 dev tools and port to the PS3 (its what they have experience with). The only developers that seem to have shown any advantages to the PS3 hardware/dev tools is the exclusive Sony developers.

Last edited:
Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Halo is really cheasy and dumb once you've played COD4 or MW2, play those for a month, then try to play Halo 3 again, you think... damn, what a piece of junk, I thought this was fun?

Ps3's got Killzone, that's our Halo, it does just fine. It's not a huge 12 year old ballroom blitz online, which is a plus.

The 360 has the game choices down, but after a while a FPS is just an FPS, it never changes. They did have some good ones like "Prey" and stuff like that, but after a while, boring. I think developers should start designing for PS3, and port a lower quality version for the 360's hardware. I really wish Hideo Kojima would ok the remake of Metal Gear Solid 4 if Sony makes a more powerful console, because he was actually limited by the Ps3's hardware and had to tone the game down from the original release idea, which is crazy. But it makes sense just looking at that beautiful rendition of Snake smoking 4 or 5 cigarettes while you're waiting for a chapter to install to the HD. I remember feeling like my eyes were coming out of my head to look at it. Best rendering I'd ever seen in my life.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
im a huge shooter fan, ive played all call of duties aside from MW2 (pc has met its match, time for a new Graphics card :D) and all MOH's released on PC, halo, is in its own category, plus im a nut for sci-fi weird stuff, and the story line of halo is enough to make you want to complete the level just so you know whats going to happen next, i give it 5 stars easy. the only thing i hate about the damn halo releases for PC is every freakin time they release the next one, they force you to upgrade your OS because thats how they get you now, tell you "oh this game requires DX10 and only vista can run DX10" one problem, i have copied the DX10 dll files from a vista pc and used it to play games with DX10, what a scam. but yea, that certainly gets irritating, which is why im giving up on PC gaming, every 3 months your hardware becomes unusable for the next set of games.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It really depends on the game developer. For a 3rd party game gone exclusive I doubt there would be any advantage developing on the PS3-in some ways the game could be inferior than what would have been developed on the PC/360 dev tools. The PS3 is much harder for game developers and they have had this complaint since its release. The majority of developers use the PC/xbox 360 dev tools and port to the PS3 (its what they have experience with). The only developers that seem to have shown any advantages to the PS3 hardware/dev tools is the exclusive Sony developers.
why is that its harder for them to develop? i know PS's use some strange sort of CPU that was tottally different from PC/Xbox/Gamecube etc, which used basic intel style processors, from some of the specs i have read on it, it has some of the same specifications as a supercomputer. as far as technology is concerned, PS3 is defenitly lightyears ahead of xbox

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
why is that its harder for them to develop? i know PS's use some strange sort of CPU that was tottally different from PC/Xbox/Gamecube etc, which used basic intel style processors, from some of the specs i have read on it, it has some of the same specifications as a supercomputer. as far as technology is concerned, PS3 is defenitly lightyears ahead of xbox
There are a lot of game developers that have commented on the PS3 hardware, though I have not read about this in a while. A lot have stated that there are certain bottlenecks which limit how effecient one can develop games on it which can actually make it worse/more difficult than the 360. Time, resources and money is needed to tap into this machine. Developers are on strict budgets and time contrainsts so many have there hands tied and they don't like that. This is why you see 3rd party games developed on the pc/360 and ported to the ps3. Games do not even port well to the PS3 and the majority of the 3rd party games are inferior (in very slight ways) to the 360 counterpart.
Even with the technology advancments of the PS3 it really is not light years away in the quality of games/gaming many years after its release. A handful have slightly better graphics thats about it.

Last edited:
SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
Halo is really cheasy and dumb once you've played COD4 or MW2, play those for a month, then try to play Halo 3 again, you think... damn, what a piece of junk, I thought this was fun?
I've played the bejeezus out of all three and still come back to Halo. Latency issues are nowhere NEAR as problematic and the matchmaking is still unrivaled (half your party doesn't get randomly booted every few games, smoother veto system, you can play more than a week without a new game-breaking glitch, etc.). Not to mention that killstreak camping doesn't keep most players from actually contributing to objective-based games...

As far as the whole slim Xbox thing, I can't say that I think it will bring anything new to the table (unless they DO decide to use it to upgrade parts/quality control, which I think we all know is unlikely at best). I'd be much more impressed if they'd just fix my current Xbox so I didn't end up sending it in once a year.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
PS3 development is like old people fornicating. Slow and sloppy.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
This was done by design by Sony to make it more difficult for game developers to program games for PS3 here is a quote from Kaz Hirai CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment.
"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
this was the answer he gave to Don Reisinger from Cnet back in 2/28/09. Whether we the gamers like it or not this what they have done and one reason that Sony was slow out of the gate and why alot of 3rd party game developers don't like making games for the PS3.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
This was done by design by Sony to make it more difficult for game developers to program games for PS3 here is a quote from Kaz Hirai CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment. this was the answer he gave to Don Reisinger from Cnet back in 2/28/09. Whether we the gamers like it or not this what they have done and one reason that Sony was slow out of the gate and why alot of 3rd party game developers don't like making games for the PS3.
that is retarded!?!? what if people decided "we dont have enough money to make a game for the PS3 and xbox, xbox takes less time and money, lets make one for xbox, oh and since the operate very similarly, make a PC version as well" and NO ONE made games for the PS3 or very very few made them, wouldnt people stop buying the ps3's? i know that one of the main reasons for not buying a ps3 is because xbox has a far better selection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis