majorloser

majorloser

Again Tom was sporting some wood. :rolleyes:

"Huh-huh, he said wood" - Beavis

majorloser

majorloser

I believe these were from the Madisound room. We didn't get an opportunity to listen to any of the speakers in this room. Since they make some affordable kit speakers, it would have been nice to see what they could do in person. :(

majorloser

majorloser

These speakers gave me the laugh of the day. As usual, Tom inspected these speakers and wrapped on the side of the towers with his knuckles to see how well they were constructed. The oriental gentleman from the company commented how rock solid they were. Meanwhile, Tom is knocking the heck out of them and they are ringing like a bell from what sounded like no more than 1/2" board.

"Speaker real solid. Solid like rock."

majorloser

majorloser

Okay, I did my part by taking some pictures and giving some of us "regular guys" a chance to see how the other half lives. I also had an opportunity to see cables that cost more than a car, phono cartridges that would make a down payment on most homes and speakers that cost more than the average American home. I also figured out that my hearing must really suck since I couldn't tell any difference between all those tweaks. But mostly this was just another time in my life where I was reminded that my love for music in a digital format is misguided and that albums are the only "true" medium for music.

So, needless to say, I guess I will never be a true audiophile. :(
(as I climb back under my rock with the other lowly creatures)

So now let's wait to see what Tom is going to say about this event in the next AV Rant episode :eek:

http://www.avrant.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The difference between Sterephile and Audioholics?

Stereophile - "Here, take a picture of me standing next to these speakers."

Audioholics - "Would you get out of the way?! I'm trying to get a shot of the speakers!"

I think my overarching comment from the show was that I would literally pay them to stop spinning vinyl during their demos. Crackling at 90dB isn't a demo, it's torture.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Audioholics - "Would you get out of the way?! I'm trying to get a shot of the speakers!"

I think my overarching comment from the show was that I would literally pay them to stop spinning vinyl during their demos. Crackling at 90dB isn't a demo, it's torture.
I suppose recording their albums digitally and removing the clicks & pops just makes them squirm, right? A friend just told me about a site that has digital files and he used a VPI Scoutmaster turntable with Trans-Fi Terminator Air Bearing Linear Tracing Tonearm,
Cartridge: Audio-Technica AT33PTG, Phono Preamp: Pro-Ject TubeBox and Soundcard: E-MU 1212. Then, all rips are recorded in full 24bit 192khz resolution and then resampled to 44/24 for manual click repair.They are then dithered to standard redbook 16bit/44khz and he uses IzotopeRX Advanced for all resampling/dithering. I haven't done any real critical listening but the downloads I have sound very good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds extremely fun.

I wish I could listen to $130,000 pr of speakers.:D

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
I love music, I really do. Its what got me into this hobby in the first place. Most of my time is spent listening to 2 channel music with home theater coming second. Having been to a lot of audio events and always poking around high end audio stores, its always hard to believe the price you seemingly have to pay for a slice of high end pie. You don't.

I'm a firm believer in diminishing returns and room acoustics. If you have $5,000 in a 10x10 bare room, its not going to sound good. If you have $2,500 speakers in a room thats been treated, it will sound better.

And cables that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars? Without getting into a heated cable discussion I'll just say this: Cables do change the sound in my experience but to the degree that they are worth the extra cost? Never.

Love the pictures and seeing new stuff. Always a good thing!

majorloser

majorloser

These speakers gave me the laugh of the day. As usual, Tom inspected these speakers and wrapped on the side of the towers with his knuckles to see how well they were constructed. The oriental gentleman from the company commented how rock solid they were. Meanwhile, Tom is knocking the heck out of them and they are ringing like a bell from what sounded like no more than 1/2" board.

"Speaker real solid. Solid like rock."

I made almost the exact same comments over on the Emotiva Forum. So I get this sent to me in a PM:

In reference to this post-

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index....0&page=2#153193

I think you should be very careful of the facts before posting information that is possibly damaging to the investment of my company, employees (17 of them) and distributors Worldwide. Also you are questioning the integrety of Mr David Belles who after 32 years of amplifier building chose our company to partner with him based on our sound quality and corporate intregrety. The panels of the speakers are constrined layer construction and I can assure you that the MINIMUM thickness of the construction surrounding the physics package is no less than 2.6 inches. There is no plywood involved. there is a layer of carbon fiber surrounding the physics packages of all 4 enclosures and any resonances thereof are way outside of the bandpass of those particular enclosures. We have the lowest possible stored energy on that 800Lb speaker system. Our finish on the show speakers reflects the nature of "being able to do any finish" and customizing for each paying client per the finishing desired.

We at Advanced Transduction feel you are doing a disservice to our company by posting information that is erroneous and honestly it is ficticious and borders on libel. We have sold dozens of our $30,000.00
loudspeakers and comments at the show reinforces our ability to sell dozens more.

How did they sound? (only if you took time to listen- we received over 300 positive comments, many from other manufacturers, mastering engineers and industry professionals at this show)

When one does not fully understand what they are talking about the consequences can be very wide reaching. I would not have bothered with this site if it were not for an owner asking me if I had changed the design.

I hope you will retract your statement and writing you in private to save you embarrassment; was my call. If not, I will be happy to take this up with the administration of this site.

Sincerely,
Bill Roberts
CEO and engineer for Advanced transduction- my 36th professional year.

You may phone me if you would like clarity with the design.
850-deleted

Of course he called Emotiva and complained after I PM'd him back and told him to "Shove It".
So Emotiva edited my comments out of the post to make him shut up. (sorry Dan and Cathy for having to hear his crap)

Obviously Tom felt the same as I since he made a big deal out it in the latest AVRant podcast:
http://www.avrant.com/?p=1313

Last edited by a moderator:
majorloser

majorloser

The Belles amps and DAC were very nice equipment. Funny thing is they were what was powering the Advanced Transduction speakers both Tom Andry and I were ranting about. I would have love to have a better opportunity to play with that equipment in a different room and speakers. But such is life.

I also like the Jaton Operetta amps.
http://www.jaton.com/av/brand.php?bid=1

Very well manufactured, too.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I can just imagine how awful a good deal of the stuff sounded.

There really are a lot of gullible pseudo technocrats about. Seems there is no sign of a die off, even though there must be a large contingent of people bordering on too stupid to survive at an event like that. Certainly most of them are too stupid to own equipment.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
There really are a lot of gullible pseudo technocrats about. Seems there is no sign of a die off, even though there must be a large contingent of people bordering on too stupid to survive at an event like that. Certainly most of them are too stupid to own equipment.
I might not have the biggest brain here but I would still trade ten IQ points for any of those turntables. :)

Yes, look at the nice monkey and try to overlook the fact that once again I have nothing to contribute. :p

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I might not have the biggest brain here but I would still trade ten IQ points for any of those turntables. :)

Yes, look at the nice monkey and try to overlook the fact that once again I have nothing to contribute. :p
Why are you always bent over like that?:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis