j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was reading in PtOM (playstation official magazine) that while Sony no longer builds in backwards compatibility, that doesn't mean there won't be PS2 games on the PS3. Rumor is they will most likely start releasing select PS2 games on PSN just as they have with PS1 games. Meaning, the games have been slightly reworked to play on the PS3 compared to the disc based versions, so compatibilty isn't an issue. The reason why they haven't done this already is because the PS2 and games for it are still selling well enough on the market. I would think that this would create a greater demand for the PS3 though? Convert the rest of those PS2 holdouts.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
This will be good news for PS3 owners and your right this could finally persuade those who held on to their PS2's to switch to the PS3. I hope this will come to pass because there are alot of games I would like to play again from the PS2.

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
Yeah that is very good news. Tax return this year = new playstation 3 and a new tv stand.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I think the ps3 should recognize the game discs from Ps2 and if it's available on PSN, it should be given for free. I bought all the games already, and if I remember, I already paid $30-$50 for them, I'm not buying them again to download. I'm glad I still have the Launch Ps3 for that reason. I can pop in any ps2 game and play it just fine. It does have issues with a few Ps1 games though, especially since they tend to have scratches, but I mostly kept them around for one thing... PARASITE EVE 2. Greatest RPG idea ever. if you haven't heard of it or played it, you had a rediculous childhood and may need therapy to correct it. Find a copy on Ebay, and then find a Ps1 if your ps3 won't play it, and play that game.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The article didn't say they were going to release every PS2 game. It will most likely be classics, best sellers, etc... like how they recently released Metal Gear.

In other news, they are also saying there is a very good chance they will add another level of paid PSN where you get additional content that is not available on the current free setup. The free deal will not change, so it would be a similar system to what XBL has.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Except I hope they leave the online gaming as part of the "free" stuff. I have no idea what they could possibly offer for money, but go figure. There's some bad Ps1 games on there that don't have any classic or replay value whatsoever, like jet Moto 2. I remember that game. Product placement on vehicles that don't turn.

If they were to release the metal gears, all of them, I may get those, but I already have them on the appropriate disks anyway. Same with the entire Devil may Cry series.

The bad thing is those Ps1 games aren't worth $10.00. I bought the original metal gear for $5.00 used, and all the titles can be found used for maybe $2.00.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
Um, aren't all PS3's PS1 backwards compatible? I don't know about the slim's, but I know my PS3 doesn't have ps2 backwards, but it does have PS1 compatibility.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Except I hope they leave the online gaming as part of the "free" stuff. I have no idea what they could possibly offer for money, but go figure. There's some bad Ps1 games on there that don't have any classic or replay value whatsoever, like jet Moto 2. I remember that game. Product placement on vehicles that don't turn.

If they were to release the metal gears, all of them, I may get those, but I already have them on the appropriate disks anyway. Same with the entire Devil may Cry series.

The bad thing is those Ps1 games aren't worth $10.00. I bought the original metal gear for $5.00 used, and all the titles can be found used for maybe $2.00.
I agree, their pricing would have to be really good and I don't know how they will handle people who already have the games. $10 was too much for Metal Gear.

As for the premium tier, I would imagine there will be new content, possibly like Qore or exclusives like betas and video content, etc... that might not be available under the free account. The price for the preimum would also need to be cheap if they expect people to go for it, since there's already a lot of good free stuff.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3.15 appears to be damaging older systems still:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/PlayStation_3/PS3/Sony/Latest_Playstation_Update_Causing_Blu-ray_Problems/4252

Just a few months ago we ran a story about firmware update 3.0 which seemed to be causing a lot of trouble for owners. It seems that the newest firmware, 3.15, is doing much of the same.

Many PS3 owners are reporting that after upgrading to 3.15, their systems won’t play Blu-ray movies or PS3 games. According to the reports, the problem will crop up during a game. The system will freeze and then when it is restarted, it will not recognize the discs.

There are two patterns emerging from the reports. The first is that most people are playing Modern Warfare 2 when the freeze happens. It’s not clear whether that particular game is part of the problem though. It’s one of the most popular games for the system, so it could just be coincidental.

The second is that the issue doesn’t seem to be affecting newer systems like the PS3 slim. The most common models being reported appear to be the 40GB, 60GB, and 80GB models. Sony has not yet commented on the problem.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I have the most recent firmware update on my launch PS3. So far no issues, 3.0 didn't hurt it either. The only issue I have now is that now when I play a blu-Ray, the projector will randomly "lose" the source to the ps3, and it takes about 10 seconds for it to come back, but the sound will still play during that time. Didn't happen before the update. Also, when I play a DVD, it looks really washed out and white. I checked all the settings and made sure hyper white was turned off, etc, it's not a problem with the projector or rest of the system, because movies off my HTPC have correct coloration, and look better even, that DVD's played on the Ps3, though my Blu-rays also look just fine.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I own a 40GB PS3 I have not had any issues with firmware or with any game. I think there is something else going on with these PS3's because if it was firmware then every owner should have problems not just a few and the same goes for MW2. I run folding@home when I'm not playing games so my PS3 is on almost 12 hours a day 365. So my belief is there is something more to it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I own a 40GB PS3 I have not had any issues with firmware or with any game. I think there is something else going on with these PS3's because if it was firmware then every owner should have problems not just a few and the same goes for MW2. I run folding@home when I'm not playing games so my PS3 is on almost 12 hours a day 365. So my belief is there is something more to it.
As was discussed in my thread about my dead 60G, chances are these systems are borderline and the firmware updates may cause these players to operate beyond their capabilities because they are just barely within spec. OR it could simply be that there is a widespread QC issue and it is starting to show up in these older systems. The disc read errors still occurred in the Slims initially, but it sounds like that isn't the case now. I had zero issues with my 60G right up until the day it died.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I sent my launch in to be repaired because of YLOD and they state that they have fixed the issue that causes it and it will never happen again, along with any firmware update issues, they said they won't happen either. Maybe people with originals that have not been sent back for repair are having the issue?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I am of the opinion that there are several causes of ylod,but the most common one is a heat related issue due to the fact that Sony uses low grade thermal paste.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
You should've seen the 360's sinks... man I almost fell over laughing reviving my buddies RROD. I just took it apart to try to fix it not knowing what to do really, but I knew I'd find something. On the bottom of the board are the chipsets and they have little band-aids with barely sticky tape holding them on, it's not even paste. Took those off, the pretty much fell off actually. Then made my own heat sinks, used real paste, and put it all back together, plugged into a TV, started right up... beautiful.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Which chip set did it have?

Xenon 90nm 90nm

Zephyr 90nm 90nm

Falcon 65nm 90nm

Opus 65nm 90nm

Jasper 65nm 65nm

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Which chip set did it have?

Xenon 90nm 90nm

Zephyr 90nm 90nm

Falcon 65nm 90nm

Opus 65nm 90nm

Jasper 65nm 65nm
I should have looked, since I remember it being printed on each one, but I don't remember what it said.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis