Apple iPhones it in with iPad

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Apple's iPad announcement has been met with disappointment among tech-press. The biggest disappointment with iPad, besides its unfortunate name, is not just about features but that Apple failed to bring its User Interface magic to the tablet form-factor. Apple's new upsized iPhone seems symptomatic of a ground-breaking tech company coasting on past success.

Discuss "Apple iPhones it in with iPad" here. Read the article.

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
I had initially hoped it was going to have more of an actual OS than an iPod interface. However, in response to all of the *****ing and moaning, (no offense) either buy it or don't. You have to admit, even for an overpriced, functionally crippled device, it's still pretty awesome. For what I do personally in terms of computing (which is mostly browsing) it would be perfect. I'm one of those folks who is OK with paying a premium for intriguing design & a cool experience.

B

Ben_in_COSpring

Junior Audioholic
You have to admit, it IS disappointing to see so much potential go down the toilet.

Apple obviously was not looking at what consumers want when they developed this thing. I would have paid double for a device like this that actually caters to my desires and needs, and not those of Apple and Big Media.

Fortunately, other manufacturers have better offerings on the horizon that don't suffer from the same degree of lock-in and lock-down as the iPad.

R

roshi

Audioholic
I wouldn't consider $499 a premium for this piece of equipment. Yes it's more expensive than a netbook, but netbook's don't have an awesome multitouch interface or a battery than works for 10+ hours.
I was kind of bummed that it won't support flash, since hulu is a deciding factor for me. Also a camera would have been sweet.... These are my two cents.

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
You have to admit, it IS disappointing to see so much potential go down the toilet.

Apple obviously was not looking at what consumers want when they developed this thing. I would have paid double for a device like this that actually caters to my desires and needs, and not those of Apple and Big Media.

Fortunately, other manufacturers have better offerings on the horizon that don't suffer from the same degree of lock-in and lock-down as the iPad.
The biggest surprise to me was that they weren't the first to release a device like this. They always seem to be first to the plate with products that give us features we didn't even know we wanted!

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't know...jury's still out. On the one hand, I get about 15 e mailed IT publications per day at work and they all have about 2 or 3 Ipad articles each day, so the thing already has a critical mass of attention. Also, being billed as a reader on steroids will make Amazon shake. Today Amazon announced that it will RAISE book prices in response to the fact that Apple will charge more than Amazon (go figure). Apparently both want all publishers to ship to them and Amazon's been squeezing them for cheap prices, but now the competition is sorta perversely reverse.

On the other hand, the thing just looks and sounds like a big IPhone that won't fit in your pocket and won't make phone calls. I have and love my IPhone, but one of the things I like is that it does so many things AND fits in my pocket. If you made it dinner plate sized, it wouldn't be so appealing. Why would I pay all that money for something that is less convenient and does less? It still doesn't handle Flash (apparently it's processor intense and completely blows the battery) but I haven't heard about Java. Upshot is that it can wait for a while; I'm willing to let the early adopters be the test bed.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
The iPad is a very niche product. Apple addressed that from it's very debut. They stated it's not a laptop nor a pocket pc/phone... It's something different. Those to whom it will appeal, may love it, but it's not for everyone. The same can be said for PC's or Mac's in general. Each are a specific tool. If that's what you need, great. If you need a Philips head screw driver... then use a Philips head screw driver... Those needing a laptop, need a laptop not an iPad. For the iPad specifically, I think it will come down to what software is developed to take advantage of it. If that is done well, then the product will be a success. If not, then not... It's WAY too early to say one way or the other right now whether or not this product will fail or succeed.
-Brad

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The iPad is a very niche product. Apple addressed that from it's very debut.
Agreed Brad.

The tablet has been around a long time and it is just a niche product. But it's a deep-deep niche product that has never found a market. Perhaps we put too much expectation on Apple, but...

The smartphone had been around. But you gotta admit, despite its problems (lack of flash and removable battery) it's a great product that brought the Smartphone to millions many of whom would never had considered a Smartphone.

The Apple Tablet OTOH, did nothing but ride the coat-tails of its iPhone sucess, IMHO. Apple's strength if anything is the ability to find a slick interface and a niche for its products.

But yes, I agree, the jury is still out. Perhaps there is a market for an iPhone for Forrest Gump - as Gene tells it :)

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
It is just too large for me to consider as a carry around device.
I'd think it is going to be beaten by other tablets that will be appearing soon.
The $499 model is so watered down it is actually very expensive for what they offer.
Too bad I was hoping for a net book type device that was tablet styled to use as a wifi hotspot device, ereader, video/audio device, etc.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like they are closing out the AppleTV's now, wonder if that will be the next thing they do.

I guess I just don't 'get' the product.

Also, where would I keep it? I barely have enough room for my keys, Blackberry and wallet. If I wanted to carry it around, I'd expect it to at least be like a "portable" Wacom, with the paper-like feel and so forth.

B

blessingx

Audiophyte
Wow. The OP seems askew from the title on to the final "so far it looks like a missed opportunity for Apple to focus its real strength in User Interface and forge ahead with a new platform." Although the iPads feature set my be a disappointment for me personally (mostly due to non-optical audio out and missing camera), to miss its focus and Apples intent is surprising. Sure it's a blown up Touch, but is that the extent of the conversion? What about Google's Chrome OS (and third party planned tablets) pointing the same direction? I'd be curious how Wayde Robson responds to the below much passed around articles?

[Sorry the board won't allow me to post links, so if you're curious Google the following:]

Pre-launch: Gizmodo's "The Apple Tablet Interface Must Be Like This"
Post-launch: Stevenf's Tumblr "I need to talk to you about computers"
Post-launch: Fraser Speirs' blog post: "Future Shock"

Last edited:
Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Wow. The OP seems askew from the title on to the final "so far it looks like a missed opportunity for Apple to focus its real strength in User Interface and forge ahead with a new platform." Although the iPads feature set my be a disappointment for me personally (mostly due to non-optical audio out and missing camera), to miss its focus and Apples intent is surprising. Sure it's a blown up Touch, but is that the extent of the conversion? What about Google's Chrome OS (and third party planned tablets) pointing the same direction? I'd be curious how Wayde Robson responds to the below much passed around articles?

[Sorry the board won't allow me to post links, so if you're curious Google the following:]

Pre-launch: Gizmodo's "The Apple Tablet Interface Must Be Like This"
Post-launch: Stevenf's Tumblr "I need to talk to you about computers"
Post-launch: Fraser Speirs' blog post: "Future Shock"
I'm not sure what you're trying to say... I've read a lot of strong articles that totally diss the iPad. While I don't want to be completely cruel toward Apple, because the jury is still out on how well this device does. I might have too many expectations but I would have liked to see Apple do something unique with the "Tablet" rather than simply make it into a large sized iPhone.

Apple, if anything, are masters at refining and perfecting things that already existed but needed that Apple esthetic to really make it a popular form. The iPhone is a great example. Smartphones had been around long before iPhone. Now all of a sudden everybody is releasing an iPhone clone. Kudos to Apple.

I don't think they took that industry leadership role with iPad, that's about the summary of my observation.

R

ribonzz

Audioholic Intern
I prefer buying an iPhone than iPad. iPad may be the worst product from apple yet..

J

jotham

Audioholic
Perhaps we're not the target audience...

The most interesting take I heard was from a commentator that suggested that it was a killer device for the less computer savvy contingent.

The tablet would have a closed OS with no need for Antivirus protection, automatic updates, easy to purchase content and a relatively intuitive operation with a netbook-like price.

In other words, it's perfect for my dad. It could be his primary computer for email, web browsing, reading etc and not cause me nearly as much computer support stress.

I wanted the tablet that exists in ST:TNG that is super thin, tough and magical. This isn't it but perhaps it's the first step. I'm not an early adopter so I'm willing to give them some time.

BTW, many of the other "issues" such as Flash support can be remedied by a software update. Software limitations are annoying but can be remedied (see cut & paste on iphone), only hardware limitations are worth getting worked up about.

I wonder if some of these launch deficiencies such as Flash will be gone when you can actually purchase it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think they should have simply called it iPod Macro. Then nobody would be mad. It has great potential and is far from the worst apple invention. Some folks need a history lesson. :p

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

The most interesting take I heard was from a commentator that suggested that it was a killer device for the less computer savvy contingent.

The tablet would have a closed OS with no need for Antivirus protection, automatic updates, easy to purchase content and a relatively intuitive operation with a netbook-like price.

In other words, it's perfect for my dad. It could be his primary computer for email, web browsing, reading etc and not cause me nearly as much computer support stress.

I wanted the tablet that exists in ST:TNG that is super thin, tough and magical. This isn't it but perhaps it's the first step. I'm not an early adopter so I'm willing to give them some time.

BTW, many of the other "issues" such as Flash support can be remedied by a software update. Software limitations are annoying but can be remedied (see cut & paste on iphone), only hardware limitations are worth getting worked up about.

I wonder if some of these launch deficiencies such as Flash will be gone when you can actually purchase it.
I see it as a small, but expensive, PC for the person who has realized that they have a home PC that is mostly a doorstop with a browser. Even for people that are fairly saavy, with more apps available on the web, we are seeing the decline of the PC era. Add in a hard keyboard and you can do your minimal word "office" functions on Google. Unless you need to store gobs of music or photos, the IPad, supplemented by the zillions of special purpose programs that have already been created for IPhones can fill in a lot of gaps. The biggest downside might be the lack of Flash. Flash is a problem because it's very processor intensive, creates heat and would drain the battery in about an hour. I don't know what the cure is to that, but for now, Flash probably won't be on it, as it has not been on the IPhone. On the IPhone, there is an alternate Youtube universe that uses another file format that doesn't cause the phone to become a hand warmer.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

There may be more to this no-Flash thing than meets the eye. Apparently, when html 5 comes out it's going to include a new audio/video capability that might put Flash in the can. Maybe Apple really IS thinking ahead on this.

R

roshi

Audioholic
skizzerflake,
you are right on target. Supposedly Steve Jobs said at an Apple Town-hall Meeting that they were not going to go for flash because of html5. It was said that flash has too many problems and is not stable enough. But what to do until html5 becomes the new standard?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Alright, who owns an iPad and plays Metalstorm Wingman? :D

I need someone to also pilot the Raven plane w/ full tech upgrades so we can kick some a$$. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis