skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
" Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
Box Office Mojo:
Still champ is "Gone with the Wind," which grossed $400 million worldwide in 1939, now worth at least $6 trillion in today's dollars."

That kind of puts things into perspective don't it? You know I have yet to see that movie. I am glad I waited until blu-ray though. I will now get to see it in all it's restored glory.
Uhh...Box Office Mojo says that GWTW's figure is:

Gone with the Wind MGM $1,485,028,000 $198,676,459 1939 - in which 198 million is the 1939 figure, 1.4 billion is today's equivalent.

A little numeracy would say that 6 Trillion bucks would represent an inflation rate of 15,000% since 1939. Not likely anywhere outside Weimar Germany.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
FYI, this movie will never make as much as the Star Wars franchise.;)
You probably shouldn't waste your time and money on it either. That way there could be two of you on the planet who haven't seen it in the first three days it's been out. :p

In all likelihood your statement is true of every single movie ever made. When you say franchise are you talking about 6 different movies, books, records, toys, costumes ... tattoos, etc?

Yeah, you got me there. Thanks for setting me straight. :rolleyes:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You probably shouldn't waste your time and money on it either. That way there could be two of you on the planet who haven't seen it in the first three days it's been out. :p

In all likelihood your statement is true of every single movie ever made. When you say franchise are you talking about 6 different movies, books, records, toys, costumes ... tattoos, etc?

Yeah, you got me there. Thanks for setting me straight. :rolleyes:
I'm talking about making money man, monkeys don't understand it.:D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Having grown up in the present age of technology, the perspective I get from that is "Things to spend your free time on in 1939 != Things to spend your free time on in 2009".
You mean things like your family?:rolleyes:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Yeah ... :rolleyes:

Question: Which one of these guys saw the film? I'll give you three guesses.

Let's give this film 50 years to make money before we start comparing it to Star Wars and GWTW. ;)
Alex, your doing it again. I am talking about one thing and your talking about another. Gene was talking about the 3D experience, and I am talking about ranking alongside other movies in ticket sales.:confused: Pay attention man!( said in ren hoek voice) :)

I would be willing to bet that Gene had a more impressive and memorable experience the first time he saw Starwars back in 1977 too. Just a guess though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex, your doing it again. I am talking about one thing and your talking about another. Gene was talking about the 3D experience, and I am talking about ranking alongside other movies in ticket sales.:confused: Pay attention man!( said in ren hoek voice) :)
Beyond the 3-D experience I think Gene was talking about the film as a whole and called it a benchmark with a weak storyline. Some people, I dare say many people love the story line. I know you are talking about ticket sales and I thought you were going beyond that to include generated revenue across I'm not sure how many years. If we're going to do an apples to apples comparison with adjustments for the value of currency which I think is tough to do at best then we need to factor time in as well.

I would be willing to bet that Gene had a more impressive and memorable experience the first time he saw Starwars back in 1977 too. Just a guess though.
There is no accounting for taste. :D
I mean consider how he feels about Star Trek. :eek:

Edit: You're right though, I used the equivalent of the rabbit punch in arguing by going from what you were talking about to making my point. That's just low. But high opinions of the movie will lead to high ticket sales with time. However the other time I made an honest mistake in the reading comprehension arena.

Last edited:
J

jcrobso

Audioholic Intern
I have seen it twice.

Both times in 3D but in different theaters, I felt like I had been transported to another world, The second viewing only reinforced this. :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
There aren't many things that I think are cooler than watching a 3 year-old Skype with her grandmother from 1000 miles away.
How about watching her play ball with her grandmother in person? Way cooler in my opinion. I think they had plenty of things to do in '39, but they were just different things than what we do now. They did a lot more social things than we do now that is for sure.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

You forgot to mention your Star Wars pajamas

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just surpassed Titanic.
Thank you.

I'm glad someone else is taking the "heat" by updating the recent box office gross besides me.:D

Taking the "what-have-you-done-lately" attitude instead of the "I-used-to-walk-20-miles-to-school-when-I-was-your- age" attitude, it still blows my mind just thinking about Avatar reaching the $2 billion mark in the weeks ahead!:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...., it still blows my mind just thinking about Avatar reaching the $2 billion mark in the weeks ahead!:D
Well, it is a pretty darn good film:D I may still try to have a 2nd look at the 3D since the first didn't do anything for me. Perhaps I was looking for the wrong evidence.;):D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it is a pretty darn good film:D I may still try to have a 2nd look at the 3D since the first didn't do anything for me. Perhaps I was looking for the wrong evidence.;):D
Yeah, make sure it's a nice IMAX theater.

And besides all the talk of box office and inflation, I also thought it was a very good story even in 2D.:D

My wife hated it because she thought it was ANTI-WAR.:rolleyes:

My 7 yr old daughter sat through the entire movie and loved it. She clapped her hands and cheered at the end and said, "I can't wait for the sequel!"

And I said, "What sequel? I don't think there's going to be a sequel."

It turns out she was right.:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, make sure it's a nice IMAX theater.

And besides all the talk of box office and inflation, I also thought it was a very good story even in 2D.:D

My wife hated it because she thought it was ANTI-WAR.:rolleyes:

My 7 yr old daughter sat through the entire movie and loved it. She clapped her hands and cheered at the end and said, "I can't wait for the sequel!"

And I said, "What sequel? I don't think there's going to be a sequel."

It turns out she was right.:eek:
Well, no IMAX of this in my neighborhood:eek:
Almost saw it 20 miles away that has the Dolby 3D that I read was supposed to be great but they changed the start time on me:mad:
The local 3D is the RealD that we saw it in in Phoenix over the Christmas that didn't do anything for me:eek:

I guess people will see any number of messages in the film depending on what their subconscious decides, I guess. I saw Cameron's interview with a French newspaper guy. I agree with him that this can be any number of stories from today or from the planet's history or the universe's.The strong conquers or tries to conquer the weak. Avatar just happens to show a powerful modern army. What was Star Wars about but conquest?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
lol Your wife rocks and is smart enough to know propaganda disguised as entertainment when she sees it. Kudos to her:)
I think it's kind of funny that when people protest against Avatar (political or religeon), it doesn't upset me at all. I think everyone has a right to like or dislike this movie or any movie.

But when these "protesters" hear me say things like, "It's just a movie", they tend to get upset.

So I hope I don't upset anyone here by liking Avatar.:D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I think it's kind of funny that when people protest against Avatar (political or religeon), it doesn't upset me at all. I think everyone has a right to like or dislike this movie or any movie.

But when these "protesters" hear me say things like, "It's just a movie", they tend to get upset.

So I hope I don't upset anyone here by liking Avatar.:D
I hope someone here does not get upset because I like the movie " Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" with Frampton and the BeeGees:) We all have something stupid we that we like:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis