Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It took them long enough. The original PSX system (not the revised version of the PS1) wad designed to be a high class PS2 with DVR capability. It was only available in Japan for a short time and was very expensive. However, a software based upgrade is far less costly and doesn't have an export cost.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Here is some video of the PSX for those who may not be familiar with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
European PS3's had DVR capabilities since the fall of 2009 with PlayTV, Now Japan has theirs with Torne. So the US market should get this capability soon hopefully some time this year.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This was also announced:

He [Stan Glasgow] also mentioned yet another update coming to the PS3 in the next year. “We’re doing BRAVIA Internet Video Link – which is more of a streaming service than a downloading service… we added it to Blu-ray players, and we’re adding it to the PS3.”

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I think if they would concentrate on making a better browser for this machine, it would be a fairly unbeatable package all around, rather than alienating a portion of their market by introducing a feature that only works with Bravia sets. Unless I'm in error of understanding on something... ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Some of the Bravia TVs already have this (2009 models) as well as the players. What he is saying is, this year they are going to release an update that adds this to the PS3 as well.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Some of the Bravia TVs already have this (2009 models) as well as the players. What he is saying is, this year they are going to release an update that adds this to the PS3 as well.
That would indeed make a lot more sense. But I wouldn't put it past Sony, so the question was at least valid. :D

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Will this new feature work regardless of the TV you own or am I wrong on this.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As far as I can tell, yes. The article was long and didn't go into detail, but my understanding is that the service is already available, just not on the PS3 yet.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I think if they would concentrate on making a better browser for this machine, it would be a fairly unbeatable package all around, rather than alienating a portion of their market by introducing a feature that only works with Bravia sets. Unless I'm in error of understanding on something... ?
As of right now the only way to have a better browser is to have Linux installed on the fat so you could run Firefox on it, but a better browser would be a welcomed addition to the PS3.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
As of right now the only way to have a better browser is to have Linux installed on the fat so you could run Firefox on it, but a better browser would be a welcomed addition to the PS3.
Have you or anyone you know done this? I would be interested in installing Linux, but don't want to wipe out the system's original OS in the process.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Have you or anyone you know done this? I would be interested in installing Linux, but don't want to wipe out the system's original OS in the process.
I have Linux YDL 6.1 installed on it, it will not wipe out the game os here are some vids on how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have time to sit through all the videos right now, but thanks for those. So, basically if I understand correctly, this will simply install the Linux OS on a separate partition on the HDD, and I'm assuming on startup (much like a regular computer) you'll have the option to select which OS you want to load? And, opening the Linux OS once it's installed will basically run exactly as it would on a standard computer? Would I then need a USB mouse/keyboard to plug into the system?

I guess this is taking the thread off topic, but since it was brought up I'm very curious... you can PM me if you want so we can keep the thread on target, up to you. :)

Thanks again!

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have time to sit through all the videos right now, but thanks for those. So, basically if I understand correctly, this will simply install the Linux OS on a separate partition on the HDD, and I'm assuming on startup (much like a regular computer) you'll have the option to select which OS you want to load? And, opening the Linux OS once it's installed will basically run exactly as it would on a standard computer? Would I then need a USB mouse/keyboard to plug into the system?

I guess this is taking the thread off topic, but since it was brought up I'm very curious... you can PM me if you want so we can keep the thread on target, up to you. :)

Thanks again!
Wait I have a choice on keeping the thread on topic.:D No worries the PS3 will load what ever os you last used. and yes you will need a USB mouse/keyboard.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I just kind of put the cart before the horse and at least watched the last video, because I wanted to see how Linux looks on the PS3 installed... very cool! I now have a new nifty little project to take on - I've long been frustrated with the PS3's supposed "web browser", but this not only provides that, but basically turns the PS3 into a PC.

Two more questions: Would I be able to run a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it? The wireless ones I've seen rarely have the range to make it easy to sit at my couch (I had a PC hooked up to my old system and tried using a standard wireless keyboard/mouse, but would often fail to connect). Secondly, I've no experience with Linux - does the OS give me the option to set the appropriate resolution for my screen size, as Windows does, or will the PS3 still automatically output the correct resolution (in my case 1080p). 1080p may actually make the icons and text too small for my viewing distance, but can't say for sure until I actually see it. :( :eek:

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
As far as Bluetooth keyboard/mouse I am not sure I have never tried. When you first
load up the Linux it will go through it's thing and at the end it will say Kboot this is what you will type.

Kboot: install_ps3_1080p
or
Kboot: install_ps3_720p

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
As far as Bluetooth keyboard/mouse I am not sure I have never tried. When you first
load up the Linux it will go through it's thing and at the end it will say Kboot this is what you will type.

Kboot: install_ps3_1080p
or
Kboot: install_ps3_720p
Gotcha, thanks. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis