Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Not true. 4% (whole milk) is the hardest to froth. Above and below that percentage point it gets easier. It has more to do with a foam that is stable, keep the volume. Same reason whipping cream, which is very high fat content, is very easy to form a foam that will last a long time. Skim milk will also form large volumes of foam, but it won't have the nice creamy taste.

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide/milk

Funny thing is, I would have thought half-and-half would have a higher fat content than whole milk, but it's usually lower around 3.5%. It just has a higher content of lactose, so it's sweeter in drinks. It mixes well with skim milk to add back the flavor and sweetness without excess fat. If you can get some heavy whipping cream it's usually around 6%. Just make sure there is no sugars or thickeners/stiffeners added.
Cool, I never knew the curve went back up. Thanks for the info, now I need to go play :D.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It's raining like a sum***** here. I'm glad it warmed up enough to rain. If this were snow, we'd be buried.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder how many independent "Merry Christmas!" threads we'll end up having...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dang! I wish I would have known about that before. The Aerolatte is part of the 4-for-3 promotion at Amazon. Uggg. I've already ordered twice with that, each time finding three other things.

Yeah, it's more like the Get-Adam-to-buy-two-things-he-doesn't-need promotion, but whatever. :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Alex, I see it in your future - a real espresso machine/grinder with capabilities to produce microfoam!

Both are foamed milk, the one on the right is done properly for a latte. The one on the right, not so much. Soon after that you will learn latte art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex, I see it in your future - a real espresso machine/grinder with capabilities to produce microfoam!
That's more money than my car. :D

I lost the link with the instructions to the Aeropress from that site. :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you think a coffee house is a place to relax...think again. Opening Summer 2010: Alex starring in The Barista.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Here are some (with a link to the instruction manual, too).
I prefer something along the lines of these instructions, but with a finer grind. The biggest weakness of the Aeropress is the instructions, following them results in an under-extracted cup that pretty bad. If I stuck with those instructions the Aeropress would probably be in the recycling bin right now. The second biggest problem is the paper filters, I hate them, but as of now the only alternatives are DIY.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I swear I had some of the best coffee on this last Euro run.Even the automatic esspresso machine in the bus was amazing.I need a new one though.I am looking at the Italian brands now.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I swear I had some of the best coffee on this last Euro run.Even the automatic esspresso machine in the bus was amazing.I need a new one though.I am looking at the Italian brands now.
If you are getting an espresso machine and are willing to put in a little work skip the auto if your goal is a great cup. You can get a far better cup with practice and a good espresso machine/grinder. Skill beats out convenience, if you can live with that and your goal is true quality.

J

jamie2112

Banned
If you are getting an espresso machine and are willing to put in a little work skip the auto if your goal is a great cup. You can get a far better cup with practice and a good espresso machine/grinder. Skill beats out convenience, if you can live with that and your goal is true quality.
Yeah you are right Andrew.I will get a good machine/grinder and be set.I have been using the one I have for so long and the conveniance of the bus coffee maker kind of made me want to get an auto one.I would just roll out of my bunk and go press a button add a cube of sugar and creme and be done in 30 seconds.It was really nice:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis