PS3 Updates 3.00 to 3.15 And What They Offer

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Someone asked once what does each update for the PS3 do so here is a list of all the update and what they do.
The PlayStation®3 system software version 3.15 update includes the following:

Settings
Data transfer utility

* You can now transfer the data that is saved on one PS3™ system's hard disk to another PS3™ system’s hard disk using an Ethernet cable (sold separately). > See details

PlayStation®Network PlayStation®Network
“minis”

* Some games under the “minis” category of PlayStation®Store will soon be able to be played on the PS3™ system. If you have already downloaded games from the “minis" category of PlayStation®Store to a PSP® system, you will be able to download and play the games on a PS3™ system using the download list in PlayStation®Store.*

* Some games from the “minis” category may not be playable on a PS3™ system

PS3™ System Software Update 3.10

* Photo
o Displaying photos in a grid: The thumbnail images for photos under [Photo] are now displayed in a grid.
* PlayStation®Network
o You can now share information on Facebook™ about items such as trophies you have earned and content you have purchased in PlayStation®Store.
* Settings
o You can now change the background color of your profile screen.
* Friends
o You can now use the right stick of the wireless controller to perform fast forward or fast reverse operations during video content playback.

PS3™ System Software Update 3.00-3.01

* Overall
o You can now access the latest content available from PlayStation®Store directly under Game (Game) and Video (Video).
o When using storage media that contains folders, the number of folder levels that can be displayed under Video (Photo), Video (Music) and Video (Video) has been increased.
o You can now copy text using the on-screen keyboard. You can use this feature to copy text on a screen from which the on-screen keyboard is displayed, such as the screen for creating a message under Video (Friends).
* Network
o [Information Board] has been replaced by [What's New] and contains a new design and new features.
o [Print This Screen] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.
o [Save Screenshot] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.
* Settings
o [Audio Multi-Output] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
o Music files that are saved on the hard disk or storage media can now be upsampled for output on the PS3™ system.
o [HDD Content Audio Language] and [HDD Content Subtitle Language] have been added as options under [Video Settings].
* Video
o You can now use the right stick of the wireless controller to perform fast forward or fast reverse operations during video content playback.
* Game
o New for 3.01: System stability during use of some PlayStation®3 format software has been improved.
* Friends
o A list of messages that you have exchanged with a Friend can be now accessed from the Friend�s profile screen.

Enjoy!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3.0 bricks your PS3 :) Well, at least it did mine...

I have 3.15 on my 120 without issue.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I have heard that has happen to alot of PS3 owners when they have downloaded 3.00, for some it caused the BRD to spin at a high rate of speed if which may have lead to system failure. I advise owners to wait a week when a firmware update becomes available to see if any issues come up, if after a week there has been no reports of problems with a firmware update then go ahead an download it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you go online, you can't wait a week. You must update to log in.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I play online as well not as often as before, so I know it's hard to avoid downloading the update. I have been trying to figure out why Sony plays this game with PS3 owners. Before I decide to go online I check for an update first if there is one I wait and if there isn't one I go ahead and play. It's a pain to do it this way but what choice do most of us have, go ahead an download bad firmware which turns the PS3 into a glorified paperweight, what angers me, Sony is at fault for 3.00 and God forbid you are out of warranty they broke it with bad firmware and they still want you to pay them $150 to fix it or go buy a new one so in the end you are getting screwed either way.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
What can you actually save to the PS3 hard drive.Can you save movies? I am a newbie with the PS3 and will be needing some guidence......

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Jamie are talking about digital copies from blu-ray or downloaded movies from the PSN store to own or rent? I made the mistake of downloading movies to own from the PSN store if something goes wrong with the HDD or if you decide to upgrade the HDD you lose them. I lost about $200 worth of movies and I call Sony about it and they told me I was pretty much S.O.L the person who I talked to said it something to do with copyrights I told them that shouldn't be a problem since all the movies I downloaded are from Sony they told me no dice. So I would advise against downloading movies to own from the PSN store.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
can't you go into account management and see the stuff you already downloaded and download it again? It would really make me mad if I spent a lot of money on downloads to "own" and had to replace a hard drive or whatever then I couldn't re download all those movies. This is just another solid reason against everything going download only, I still will always want physical media, even if I choose to store it on my PC. At least then I can re rip it whenever I need to.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
can't you go into account management and see the stuff you already downloaded and download it again? It would really make me mad if I spent a lot of money on downloads to "own" and had to replace a hard drive or whatever then I couldn't re download all those movies. This is just another solid reason against everything going download only, I still will always want physical media, even if I choose to store it on my PC. At least then I can re rip it whenever I need to.
That only works for games that you downloaded or add-on's for games but not for movies, the movies I found out the hard way when I upgraded the HDD from 40GB to 500GB $200 worth of movies down the drain. this is why I advise against downloading movies to own from the PSN store. there was a time when Sony allowed 1 free re-download for all movies lost but that has end some time ago.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That is really lame of them to do, I gues the lesson here is to upgrdae before you download. I know with the new firmware there is a way to transfer all data from one console to another if you want to get a different console. Maybe you could borrow another persons console to transfer all the data from your old drive to your new one.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
That is really lame of them to do, I gues the lesson here is to upgrdae before you download. I know with the new firmware there is a way to transfer all data from one console to another if you want to get a different console. Maybe you could borrow another persons console to transfer all the data from your old drive to your new one.
That's a lot of work but it might be the only way to save the movies you bought. If they would allow people to download it to a external HDD it would be better but I don't see that happening.:(

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Here is the specs for all PS3 models.

Manufacturer Sony EMCS, Foxconn, Lanix, ASUSTeK for SCEI[1]
Product family PlayStation
Type Video game console
Generation Seventh generation era
Retail availability November 11, 2006
Units sold 27 million (as of September 30, 2009)
Media Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD (all models)
Super Audio CD (1st & 2nd generations only),
Digital distribution
Operating system XrossMediaBar
system software version 3.15[3]
CPU 3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs
Storage capacity 2.5" SATA hard drive
(20 GB, 40 GB, 60 GB, 80 GB, 120 GB, 160 GB, or 250 GB included) (upgradeable)
Graphics 550 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'
Controller input Sixaxis, DualShock 3
Flash memory input

* MemoryStick/PRO/Duo*
* SD/MMC*
* CompactFlash/Microdrive*

Audio/video output

* HDMI 1.3a out
* S/PDIF out
* AV Multi out
o Composite video/stereo audio cable**
o S-Video cable
o SCART cable
o Component video cable
o D-Terminal cable

Other

* IEEE 802.11b/g Wi-Fi***
* Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
* 4 × USB 2.0

(2 × in 40 GB and all later models)

* Wired gigabit Ethernet

*60 GB and CECHExx 80 GB models
**Included in box
***All except 20 GB model
Online services PlayStation Network
Backward
compatibility PlayStation (all models)
PlayStation 2 (20 GB, 60 GB, and CECHExx 80 GB models)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis