GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You're a student of life, my friend. Maybe they'll give you the discount for that. :)
c'mon, this is M$ we are talking about... they won't give me a discount unless I can prove I'm a student. How about I trade in my copy of Vista for a Win. 7 disc, since Win. 7 is what Vista should have been.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
c'mon, this is M$ we are talking about...
Oh, I know. I was only joking. :) Maybe Jessica could hook you up.

I should read more about Windows 7. I've been happy with Vista, so I don't know what I'd get from upgrading.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, I know. I was only joking. :) Maybe Jessica could hook you up.

I should read more about Windows 7. I've been happy with Vista, so I don't know what I'd get from upgrading.
You would get quite a bit more performance.

The biggest thing for me was the immense increase in useability over Vista (well Server 2008 in my case).

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Well I was able to score a copy of Win. 7 Pro for $30 via the student deal, should be able to download it tomorrow.

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
still waiting.....

still waiting for my version windows 7... from what i have seen i will be a happy camper....

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
still waiting for my version windows 7... from what i have seen i will be a happy camper....
Got mine up and running last night, so far I like it, but I'm sure there is still plenty more I have to learn about it. I was in need of a fresh OS install anyway, so this came at the right time.

G

glockshooter1

Audiophyte
I upgraded my HTPC from 32-bit Vista to 32-bit Windows 7 about a week ago. So far, I must say I am amazingly impressed. The OS seems snappy, quick, and the media center software (though similar) seems to run like a champ. Codec install and all that went smoothly, and playback is beautiful.

If you're thinking of making the jump to 7, I can certainly recommend it.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I just loaded 7 pro on my work computer that had vista which was crashing daily - blue screen... I honestly think it was a driver error with the HP computer that came on it - I have it never seemed to rectify the blue screen problem, but either way, I wanted to start my way into 7 with all the good reports - so far I am pretty happy with how it runs...

Going to be getting ready to get a Nettop to load XBMC on.... there are some really promising looking new box's coming out with ION processing - allowing for a nice quiet small form HTPC.
Good reading there....

Here are some good threads if anyone is interested...... I have never experienced a GUI like XBMC gives.... been running them for 6-7 years now... Nice there are options to upgrade to a more powerful platform now...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1185529

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1192604

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I just loaded 7 pro on my work computer that had vista which was crashing daily - blue screen... I honestly think it was a driver error with the HP computer that came on it - I have it never seemed to rectify the blue screen problem, but either way, I wanted to start my way into 7 with all the good reports - so far I am pretty happy with how it runs...

Going to be getting ready to get a Nettop to load XBMC on.... there are some really promising looking new box's coming out with ION processing - allowing for a nice quiet small form HTPC.
Good reading there....

Here are some good threads if anyone is interested...... I have never experienced a GUI like XBMC gives.... been running them for 6-7 years now... Nice there are options to upgrade to a more powerful platform now...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1185529

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1192604
I'm really looking forward to Tegra from Nvidia.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
What are those all about buddy.....

Looks like they are finalizing all the work to get XBMC running under windows in good fashion without messin around with anything, just load and play....

I can't wait for that, gunna pick up a couple of nettop boxes for each of my setups...

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
I upgraded to windows 7 a couple weeks ago. I had some problem with bd sound but tonight this problem is fixed:D:D:D Anyway I am very happy with it.
Have you guys tride the shake option yet? Just open a few windows on you desktop and shape the mouse on the top window and the other windows open are minimized how cool is that.lol

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I've done the shake thing, but it's not that big of a deal to me... what did you do to get your bd sound problem fixed?

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
Yeah, I've done the shake thing, but it's not that big of a deal to me... what did you do to get your bd sound problem fixed?
I just rolled back the realtek dirver. To my surprise it worked. When i upgraded to windows7 and my bd sound problems started I looked at the roll back option but It was grayed out. I guess some updates(since them) let me do it this time. Lets just say I am very happy now. Digital DTS and Dolby digital working now.:D:D:D

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have been running Windows 7 Pro RTM for a couple of months on my desktop and it has been working great.

I put it on my HP laptop about 1.5 weeks ago because XP was being a jerk and I kept losing pieces of my thesis. I think HP+Win7 is a bad move. Apparently my business class laptop doesn't merit proper release-date driver development.

The worst thing for me is to have glitchy audio (and for most of us, I am sure), and that is exactly what I had. I wasted a few days of precious time on trying to get my DPC latency to stop spiking so my audio wouldn't skip. I tired disabling everything I possibly could to no avail. It was pretty ridiculous.

I finally, randomly tried setting the color bit depth on my Nvidia Quadro FX 570M video to 16-bit and I stopped getting jittery audio, so I guess I will be living with the poorer color until they can get the video drivers right.

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
I got some updates from realtek today, let me tell you i was suprised:eek:. I could not wait to updated this driver for sure.:eek: Not gonna happen by the way, just saying.

B

bigaudiofanatic

Enthusiast
Anyone notice that 7 is just vista with a big service pack yet? We discussed that in one of my computer clases yesterday. But anyway I do like 7 much better than vista, even though I own a mac for my main computer.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone notice that 7 is just vista with a big service pack yet? We discussed that in one of my computer clases yesterday. But anyway I do like 7 much better than vista, even though I own a mac for my main computer.
Your quite right.

Thats basically what it is. Vista is Windows kernel version 6 and Windows 7 is kernel version 6.1.

Its quite a bit more than a service pack, but it uses many of the core components of Vista.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
XP used much the same kernel as 2000. One of the major reasons for Vistas poor reputation was it's lack of compatibility due to the dramatic changes in the underlying kernel and architecture from XP. Many of those changes were for the better when it comes to modern computing and advancing technology but since many companies were not ready for it and many older applications and drivers did not work Vista got a real bad rap. Vista had it's other problems as well but many were resolved with future updates. It was too late by then to repair it's tarnished reputation.

7 is using much of the new kernel which went through its growing pains with Vista and was also tested much more thoroughly by many more people. Microsoft says 15 million people downloaded and ran the Windows 7 beta and RC releases. I was one of them and I used both the beta and RC as my primary OS since their release. I couldn't say the same for Vista. The Vista beta was horrible and the release version was not much better.

Legacy support is a double edged sword for Microsoft. They have an entrenched customer base that expects all of their old programs to run on every new version of Windows. By supporting it they keep a large number of people complacent. A mind boggling level of complexity in Windows has its roots in legacy support. Microsoft has to put a lot of time and effort into not pissing off people who want to use those old programs. Vista showed that does not end well.

Microsoft is in a constant bind. I'm not sure how they could get out of it. Apple, with its much smaller user base, simply says "sorry, you upgrade or it won't work anymore". Not having to worry about so much legacy support is a big advantage.

I must say I am very impressed with what Microsoft has done in Windows 7 in this area. I haven't found a program that won't run on 7. I am happily running the final release of 7 Home Premium and have no complaints. However, if you think about it, how much further could Microsoft advance with each Windows release if they just dropped all of this legacy support and told there customers to deal with it. There has to come a point when it's time to move on and start fresh. That is what Apple has done several times throughout the past couple decades and that is what really pushed them ahead in the OS quality wars. Will Windows 8 be Microsoft's "screw legacy" release?

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
At least Win. 7 will be the last 32 bit OS MS releases, so that's a step in the right direction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis