DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Why correct it when leaving it the way it is will drive people to your web site?

C

cmryan821

Junior Audioholic
Why correct it when leaving it the way it is will drive people to your web site?
If someone is reading this then that person is already at the site. So I don't follow what you're getting at. Also, it's good for a newbie buyer to know what they might be getting into before they actually send some cash to av123. I sure would have really liked it if there were other threads like these before I sent him payment.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Yup...that's the one.

These reviews go to the manufacturer/dealer before the are published. Interesting that AV123 did not correct the fact that they did not sell the speaker anymore.
I sure didn't know that. Very interesting. I just assumed (you know what that can do) that it was Mark's speaker and he was still selling it based on the information in the article. I think you sent me an email and it probably went right over this thick head.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
If someone is reading this then that person is already at the site. So I don't follow what you're getting at. Also, it's good for a newbie buyer to know what they might be getting into before they actually send some cash to av123. I sure would have really liked it if there were other threads like these before I sent him payment.
I think gonk meant "why would AV123 correct Stereophile when the review sends traffic to AV123?"

That is pretty much what I was getting at.....they wouldn't correct it.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I sure didn't know that. Very interesting. I just assumed (you know what that can do) that it was Mark's speaker and he was still selling it based on the information in the article. I think you sent me an email and it probably went right over this thick head.
You were probably too busy with your new toys.

majorloser

majorloser

I am actually not a big fan of Audioholics as evidence of my join date and post count.
And yet here you are...

The whole ordeal surrounding the events of MLS and AV123 may never fully enter the light of day. For the most part, there has never been a strong following of AV123 here at Audioholics. There was already one forum dedicated to the AV123 fanboys and since the temporary closing of the AV123 forum, another forum has popped up catering to the AV123 clientel.

This particular thread remains open because it has remained civil. Not to say that it hasn't caused a stir by certain individuals seeking to have the thread closed.

This thread is informative to some or just plain amusing to other.

C

cmryan821

Junior Audioholic
I think gonk meant "why would AV123 correct Stereophile when the review sends traffic to AV123?"

That is pretty much what I was getting at.....they wouldn't correct it.
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I thought he meant why wouldn't audioholics take down the thread.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Cschang's got it - my point was that it was in AV123's interests to leave the Ref1 review alone.

I'm sure they aren't fond of this thread...

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cschang's got it - my point was that it was in AV123's interests to leave the Ref1 review alone.

I'm sure they aren't fond of this thread...
Yep. Actually, I'm sure there are many companies that may have left that review alone as well. From waht I remember, it's full of warm and fuzzies for the company and free advertising for them, assuming they didn't pay for the review. :D

Soundman

Soundman

And yet here you are...

The whole ordeal surrounding the events of MLS and AV123 may never fully enter the light of day. For the most part, there has never been a strong following of AV123 here at Audioholics. There was already one forum dedicated to the AV123 fanboys and since the temporary closing of the AV123 forum, another forum has popped up catering to the AV123 clientel.

This particular thread remains open because it has remained civil. Not to say that it hasn't caused a stir by certain individuals seeking to have the thread closed.

I have noticed that recently I have not seen many AV123 owner's here. In fact, not for a long time. I do remember there being a lot more of them around here, but I'm sure many of them have left. In fact, I might be the only AV123 owner left around here. Well, anyway, I wear the Rocket logo because they are pretty darn good speakers, but that certainly doesn't mean I endorse what's been going on over there. :(

Soundman

Soundman

...Of course we may never truely know. Some of the things that have been posted here are highly speculative, but some of it has been pretty good information.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
And yet here you are...

Yes, I am here, and please let me know if I step out of bounds.

The forums that do cater to MLS and AV123 have ties to them. The difference between this thread and a similar one on AVS is the moderation/investigation.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
...Of course we may never truely know. Some of the things that have been posted here are highly speculative, but some of it has been pretty good information.
The raffles and donation specific to Sloan/Kettering are 100% verifiable. I did my own legwork to find out....there is no speculation.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I have noticed that recently I have not seen many AV123 owner's here. In fact, not for a long time. I do remember there being a lot more of them around here, but I'm sure many of them have left. In fact, I might be the only AV123 owner left around here. Well, anyway, I wear the Rocket logo because they are pretty darn good speakers, but that certainly doesn't mean I endorse what's been going on over there. :(
I am willing to bet though, that if you had known about some of these issues before you made your purchases, you would have at least had a struggle with it.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
AFAIK, no manufacturer pays to have their product reviewed at StereoPhile. I don't know what the arrangement is if they choose to include a reprint on their website or a link to the review. After all, when a car manufacturer says something about one of their models and mentions JD Powers, JD gets a cut. And it's a complicated cut. There's a cut for print. A cut for TV. A cut for radio. One for internet. One for sending out stuff to customers. There's plenty of cuts!!

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Sure, it was a conversation I had with David Fabrikant.

That particular raffle raised $12750, half to go to Sloan/Kettering, the other half to the Russian orphanage. S/K has received $3000.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=615868

edit: I noticed Monk listed two raffles for the S/K and the orphanage....my mistake.
I just realized I posted the wrong link in the above post. It should be:
http://forums.av123.com/showthread.php?t=22479

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I'm here, and I still love my Mini's. It's a shame what has happened to AV123. I bought the Mini's knowing (Or thinking I knew) that they were working on matching surounds and centers. That never did happen. I asked many times if they were still in their plans but never got a response. At this point, I'd be afraid to order them anyhow. No matching system for me.

Soundman

Soundman

I am willing to bet though, that if you had known about some of these issues before you made your purchases, you would have at least had a struggle with it.
Yes, I probably would not have gotten them if I knew what I know now. Of course, it still doesn't change the fact that they are nice speakers, but still wouldn't have gone down that road. There are too many other great speakers out there. I will say that everything has worked out fine for me through AV123. Even just a few weeks ago when I got my ELT525's. I ordered with in-store credit and got them in a few days. Needed to use that credit in case things get worse for them. :p

Soundman

Soundman

I'm here, and I still love my Mini's. It's a shame what has happened to AV123. I bought the Mini's knowing (Or thinking I knew) that they were working on matching surounds and centers. That never did happen. I asked many times if they were still in their plans but never got a response. At this point, I'd be afraid to order them anyhow. No matching system for me.
Yeah, there were alot of future products they were working on and who knows if they will ever be made. Me thinks not. You may not be able to match them, but you still have a very nice stereo pair. The Mini's do sound very good. It is a shame what happened though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis