STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I just saw that someone in the Chicago area is selling a pair of NHT 2.9s for $800 + shipping (starting bid) on eBay. I was interested in a pair of those about ten years ago. Nice speakers. That's not a steal, but it's not a bad price either. I'd be too nervous about them getting damaged during shipping, though.

Yeah, why? That's what insurance is for!:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I came across this photo from two years ago that I had never gotten around to posting. This was when my first SVS got delivered. Clearly, Niki was far less impressed and excited about it than I was. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I figure that you'd open them up to take a look before I get home from work and maybe spill some bacon grease on them. :D
Or maybe someone would put tar on their shoes and waltz around your living room after dropping the speakers off the truck and dragging up and down the sidewalk, does this sound familiar?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm going to go through a full calibration of my system today, but I couldn't find my SVS manual last night. I had to rely upon my internet stalking skills to find that darn thing, as they no longer have it linked from their product page - but I got it. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I got the sub calibrated - finally. That took longer than I like, but it always does. SVS' nifty little EQ box just might be worth $700 if it can save me the time. :D I could still tweak it some more, but it's good enough for now.

Now I need to read up on how to do multiple positions for standing waves with my Elite. I'll do that after walking the pooch.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I got the sub calibrated - finally. That took longer than I like, but it always does. SVS' nifty little EQ box just might be worth $700 if it can save me the time. :D I could still tweak it some more, but it's good enough for now.

Now I need to read up on how to do multiple positions for standing waves with my Elite. I'll do that after walking the pooch.
So how many subwoofer positions did it take to get the frequency response you were looking for? It must not have been fun moving it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So how many subwoofer positions did it take to get the frequency response you were looking for? It must not have been fun moving it.
Oh, I didn't move it. :D The sub is where it's going to go.

I adjusted the parametric equalizer and room correction settings. The PEQ is single band, but it let me tame one of the humps in my room. I have another one at the low end that I didn't have before (with my other furniture and sub position), but it isn't too bad.

I ended up going from one port plugged with a 15 Hz tune to having two ports plugged with a 10 Hz tune. That helped drop the hump at the low end a bit.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Holy crap. Not sure how I missed the new purchases, Adam. Looks nice. I really really like the Elite.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Holy crap. Not sure how I missed the new purchases, Adam. Looks nice. I really really like the Elite.
Thanks, Adam! I'm not sure if it sounds any better than my 1015, but it has allowed me to do some things that I couldn't before (HDMI being the biggest). It's got some nice technology in the MCACC auto routine that my other Pioneer doesn't have - well, at least not that I was aware of. It has phase control, for example. "What phase should I set my sub at?" Apparently, it doesn't matter to me anymore because the receiver will set it up for me. Sweet. :)

Just curious, how loud do you listen to movies, music...?
Good question. I'll have to check that out. I'm listening to an SACD now, and it seems kind of loud to me. My SPL meter (set to C weighting and fast response) is measuring under 60 dB most of the time, but it peaks between 62 and 65 from time to time. Heck, I just turned it down 5 dB after typing that. :eek: I'm sitting off to the side next to one of the front speakers and sub, though (but that's where I'm measuring).

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, Adam! I'm not sure if it sounds any better than my 1015, but it has allowed me to do some things that I couldn't before (HDMI being the biggest). It's got some nice technology in the MCACC auto routine that my other Pioneer doesn't have - well, at least not that I was aware of. It has phase control, for example. "What phase should I set my sub at?" Apparently, it doesn't matter to me anymore because the receiver will set it up for me. Sweet. :)
OF COURSE IT SOUNDS BETTER :D. I'd imagine some audible differences exist, but minimal I'm sure. I'd say the DAC side is better than what you had, and overall the signal transfer is more accurate. That definitely is a feature rich receiver though. Just curious, were you looking at pre/pro only as an option?

Good question. I'll have to check that out. I'm listening to an SACD now, and it seems kind of loud to me. My SPL meter (set to C weighting and fast response) is measuring under 60 dB most of the time, but it peaks between 62 and 65 from time to time. Heck, I just turned it down 5 dB after typing that. :eek: I'm sitting off to the side next to one of the front speakers and sub, though (but that's where I'm measuring).
I guess that's not insanely loud by any stretch, but thats kind of what I was guessing you listened at. You've obviously got TONS of headroom.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't see any pre/pros in my price range that I liked. I didn't look all that hard, though (another freeby for Alex). :D I was happy with my Pioneer 1015 and was kind of inclined to get another Pioneer, but the Elites stood out this year above the regular ones.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't see any pre/pros in my price range that I liked. I didn't look all that hard, though (another freeby for Alex). :D I was happy with my Pioneer 1015 and was kind of inclined to get another Pioneer, but the Elites stood out this year above the regular ones.
Your speakers aren't bi-wireable are they? I really want to talk you into using more of your available power channels somehow.. What was your reasoning on getting the amps you've got? I didnt read through the whole thing- Which did you have first?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Your speakers aren't bi-wireable are they? I really want to talk you into using more of your available power channels somehow.. What was your reasoning on getting the amps you've got? I didnt read through the whole thing- Which did you have first?
No, these speakers only have one set of terminals. I was considering the SVS MTS line, though, and those do support bi-amping. Ron at SVS told me that it likely wouldn't make any difference, though.

I had the RPA-1 first. I got the IPS-1 second, and punch myself in the nards about once a week over it. Nah, not anymore, but I used to feel like it.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
No, these speakers only have one set of terminals. I was considering the SVS MTS line, though, and those do support bi-amping. Ron at SVS told me that it likely wouldn't make any difference, though.

I had the RPA-1 first. I got the IPS-1 second, and punch myself in the nards about once a week over it. Nah, not anymore, but I used to feel like it.
Gotcha... the RPA is a great amplifier, so is the IPS. Bi-amping would likely make no difference, well, more power is more power.. whatever. I know it would be some work for you, but I'd be curious what your impressions would be if you hooked up the speakers to your new AVR and fired it up. Have you ever compared the two amps with your front speakers? Do all 7 channels work on your IPS? I remember you dissecting it not too long ago...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis