Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
IEDIT: Thanks for the geek alert, by the way. I would have had some major convulsions that could have possibly broken my spine had I not had warning that dungeons and dragons would be mentioned. I consider myself fairly geeky, but even I have my limits.
My pleasure. I like to prepare people. :) I actually happen to love that show. My brothers and I used to watch it when I was pretty young, so I have fond memories of it. To be honest, I still like it. Not every episode was a home run, but they had some good ones.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Thanks, Seth! It's quite a change from what I had just two months ago. I sure appreciate the comments. I still get chills just looking at your set-up, btw. :) Simply awesome.
Thanks Adam.;)

Matt34

Matt34

Oops. :eek: :D

Thanks, Matt! It's tough to keep up with your rate of getting new gear, though. :p

Bought time? I shouldn't post when half asleep.:p

Hey someone has to live up to the name of this forum....well besides RMK!, but he's on a total different level than me.:p

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I'm gone for a week or so and now I'm not even sure I returned to the same forum...Congrats Adam!

You’ve jumped forward 5 years in technology in just the last few months, I don’t know how you have time to post, you should be tweaking.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Removing the amp from my SVS isn't as easy as I had thought. The darn thing is adhered to that tube something fierce.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I replaced the amp in my SVS this afternoon. The old one would thump very loudly when it went into standby mode. I haven't noticed that with the new one. I still need to go through all the calibration steps, which will take a little while.

The subwoofer is prepped

The original amp is removed

A view inside of the beast (looking towards the woofer)

A view inside of the beast (looking towards the top plate)

Original (left) and new (right) amps

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I replaced the amp in my SVS this afternoon. The old one would thump very loudly when it went into standby mode. I haven't noticed that with the new one. I still need to go through all the calibration steps, which will take a little while.

I'd tread the interior with some rockwool before I sealed it up. I'd also add some bracing.

At the very least tell me you caulked the amp surroundings.
The new amp looks to be more reliable. Good luck.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd tread the interior with some rockwool before I sealed it up. I'd also add some bracing.

At the very least tell me you caulked the amp surroundings.
The new amp looks to be more reliable. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! I was surprised by the small amount of dampening material inside, but I think that I'll leave well enough alone. The sub has performed great, so I don't feel too inspired to modify the design. The amps have a compressible seal on the inside circumference that helps seal the opening, so I think it's good to go.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've ordered some high-res audio for my new system, based on recommendations from some threads here and some perusing.

The Allman Brothers Band: Eat a Peach (SACD)
Santana: Supernatural (DVD-A)
Depeche Mode: Violator (SACD/DVD version)
Beethoven: Symphony No 9 / VÄNSKÄ, Juntunen, Et Al (SACD)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the advice! I was surprised by the small amount of dampening material inside, but I think that I'll leave well enough alone. The sub has performed great, so I don't feel too inspired to modify the design. The amps have a compressible seal on the inside circumference that helps seal the opening, so I think it's good to go.
Well they do have fiber in their so you got some good material. I can understand not modding that expensive thing. You know the DIYer in me always takes over.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw that someone in the Chicago area is selling a pair of NHT 2.9s for $800 + shipping (starting bid) on eBay. I was interested in a pair of those about ten years ago. Nice speakers. That's not a steal, but it's not a bad price either. I'd be too nervous about them getting damaged during shipping, though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis