Truce Officially Signed, Toshiba Applies to Make Blu-ray Players

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Following last month's rumors, first brought to light in the Japanese newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun, Toshiba has finally applied for membership in the Blu-ray Disc Association. Although Toshiba has had access to Blue-ray optical drive technology for a number of years through a controlling interest in Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation, the company has never produced a Blu-ray device under its own name and has refused to join the Blu-ray Disc Association to do so. Now Toshiba is finally making it official with direct support of Blu-ray and players due out later this year.

Too bad this didn't happen three or four years ago.

Discuss "Truce Officially Signed, Toshiba Applies to Make Blu-ray Players" here. Read the article.

C

CaW

Enthusiast
Is it okay to discuss this now?

Or am I going to be slammed for being a Blu fan-boy?

Toshiba finally sees the light. Now can the red-ant diehard finally let go and move on. Toshiba has.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
What's to discuss?
Toshiba is not seeing the light, it's just joining the dark side.
And this was real quick, compared to how long Sony took to finally produce a VHS deck (12 years).

Last edited:
B

bombarde32

Audioholic
What's to discuss?
Toshiba is not seeing the light, it's just joining the dark side.
And this was real quick, compared to how long Sony took to finally produce a VHS deck (12 years).
Welcome to a worldwide recession. Sales are depressed, overall adoption rates are still sluggish (imho) ... it makes sense for them to get in the game. If the available pie is small you'd better grab as much as you can, while you can.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think they made Laserdisc players before they ever made a VCR, LOL

and CaW is a flame war inducing troll, I think I recognized his style of "flame starting" on twitter as well, but don't worry, he's a troll and probably won't take credit for it.:D

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Don't feed them :D
On the other hand, he won't stay here for long.

Anyway, I'll see what toshiba will do. Maybe a XDE enhanced Blu Ray player. Or a combo deck? Blu+HD DVD or Blu + CBHD? :D

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Anyway, I'll see what toshiba will do. Maybe a XDE enhanced Blu Ray player. Or a combo deck? Blu+HD DVD or Blu + CBHD? :D
I'd be happy to see VHS to Blu-Ray burner. I have a massive VHS library I'd like to convert and I don't want to go to DVD so I can reburn to Blu-ray at some point. Can you imagine how many VHS you can get on Blu-Ray?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd be happy to see VHS to Blu-Ray burner. I have a massive VHS library I'd like to convert and I don't want to go to DVD so I can reburn to Blu-ray at some point. Can you imagine how many VHS you can get on Blu-Ray?
Perhaps consider converting the VHS tapes to digital media stored on hard drives. Sure, that's just one more type of physical media that will eventually be replaced, but you can do that now, and you can always burn them to blu-ray using the same computer if you install a blu-ray burner.

bmz

Enthusiast
Toshiba did not join blue ray in the beginning because they had a superior technology with HD DVD -- same performance at lower costs. I am sorry to see them join now. Regardless, I intend to stay with HD DVD until I switch to Vudu or a similar Internet HD source. Remember HD DVD did not lose to blue ray; the industry killed it because they thought they could make more money with blue ray; and I have no intention to be one of their suckers.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
its not that big a news maker:rolleyes: And aside no one is hiding out here, most have BD players. YLT

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Toshiba did not join blue ray in the beginning because they had a superior technology with HD DVD -- same performance at lower costs. I am sorry to see them join now. Regardless, I intend to stay with HD DVD until I switch to Vudu or a similar Internet HD source. Remember HD DVD did not lose to blue ray; the industry killed it because they thought they could make more money with blue ray; and I have no intention to be one of their suckers.
I joined both camps, so I couldn't lose.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis