Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver Review

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I disabled the double bass, changed mains and center crossover point to 80Hz and re-ran the Audyssey setup... The interesting thing is that Audyssey changed the speakers' crossover back to 'full range'. I am not sure if I like it this way, but I'll compare both ways...
It's not Audyssey that did that; it's Onkyo's implementation/choice after receiving the info from Audyssey.

Reapply xover after calibration. If AS finds the rolloff of any speaker to be below 80hz, it automatically chooses fullrange.

If you have a tiny cube speaker, and say it finds the rolloff to be very high, like 250hz for a Bose cube, it will not do any calibration/correction for below 250hz. IOW, it's safer to raise the xover point than to lower it, speaking in terms of best SQ with Audyssey.

S

septim

Audioholic
Bob why do you prefer 120hz for LPF. I've heard a lot of people say 80hz but a few insist on 120hz. Just curious.

Thanks.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
TY Jostenmeat

^ Very true & Excellent information. ^ From Jostenmeat above. ^

Onkyo is the one that choose the x-overs, indeed. It's not Audyssey.

And it is OK to raise the x-over from 60hz to 80hz for example.
But you don't want to lower it from 80hz to 60hz for example, because you loose the EQ that Audyssey applied already in that critical region.

My main speakers have a low extension to 24hz (-3db), and my center channel to 30hz (-6db). My surrounds to 35hz (-6db), and 45hz (-6db).
And I set my Onkyo receiver x-overs at 80hz for all of them.
* I could set my front mains at 40hz, and my center channel at 60hz if I wanted, but I don't, because I found that 80hz works really good, so I leave it there. Less stress for the 6.5" drivers and also for the Onkyo. Everything is more effortless. Plus I got two 15" subs to do the work below 80hz, with over 500 watts (more like 800).

And when listening to 2-channel stereo for music only, I use the Pure Audio mode and my front mains are running full range.

I'm quite satisfied with that setting.

Bob

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Bob why do you prefer 120hz for LPF. I've heard a lot of people say 80hz but a few insist on 120hz. Just curious.

Thanks.
Are you asking me or is there another Bob?

Yes, you were, I just fast rewind...

It's too bad that you didn't read the Audyssey Setup Guide, because your answer is right there. This question has been discussed so many times already.

Onkyo offer this feature and it's a good one. Other manufacturers also offer that feature and it's good that they do. Maybe not essential, but logical nonetheless.

That LFE Low Pass filter is only for the LFE (.1) channel, which the sound recording engineers can fill up to 120hz. It is totally independant of the speaker x-overs.
So if you set it to 80hz (that's what I really thought of doing at the beginning), you might miss the low frequencies that some sound designers put into that channel up to 120hz, so from 80hz to 120 hz, you are missing it. Perhaps not a big deal, but still.
It does not detract of the other x-overs from your regular speakers. And it does not detract from your subwoofer normal x-over neither.
It is recommended by Audyssey that you set this feature (Low Pass Filter for the LFE channel only) at 120hz.

If some people want to set this feature at 80hz, they can go ahead and feel good about it, no problem.

Me, personally, I feel better following the intelligent and logical recommendations by Audyssey. Now that I understand fully how this feature works, I do recommend to others to do the same, set it at 120hz.

-> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895

Bob

Last edited:
P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
Quick Tone Controls or EQ for 7.1

I'm quite pleased with the 805 receiver. I frequently use the listening modes to create 7.1 surround from two channel sources. Depending on the music, it can make a significant improvement. However, there are a number of CDs that are too bright; too much treble. With my old two channel pre-amp, it only took a few seconds to reduce the treble a bit with the tone controls. Remember knobs? Weren't they great? ;-) With the 805, it can take a few minutes to adjust every channel.

Does anyone make a gizmo that could be connected to the 805 somehow and provide a quick way to turn down the treble on all 7 full range channels?

Even switching to stereo and adjusting tone controls for the two main speakers is time consuming.

Thanks

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Quick Tip for Tone Controls.

Hi Peter,

No, there is no such gizmo, anf if there was, it will be just that, a gizmo. :)

Just do some practice to improve your time of adjusting tone controls. :)

Me too, I love the old tone control knobs on my older Yamaha RX-V2092 A/V Receiver front panel. But I usually prefer the "Defeat" push-button one. :)

Here's what you can do: just program an audio mode specially for bright CDs, with the Treble contour turn down. And just use that special audio mode for those specially bright CDs. :) Takes only one push button on your remote.
Helps too having a Logitech Harmony remote control.

* I'm with you Peter, some CDs definitively sound too bright, and using the Treble control does help a great deal of attenuating the ssssssssibilance.
At least our Onkyo TX-SR805 tell it like it is, without any roll-off top. :)

Cheers,

Bob

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
Helps too having a Logitech Harmony remote control.

Bob[/QUOTE]

I have a Harmony remote. Something 880 Something or other? But I've found learning to use it very confusing. It would probably be much easier if I was 30 years younger! ;-)

But I'll get to work on it this weekend.

Thanks for the tip.

Peter White

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Just listen to well recorded CDs. (Or SACDs.)

Hi Peter,

Well, this is good news that you own the Harmony 880.
I bet that I'm about your age too, but no matter, you can take your time with that great remote of yours, and teach it exactly the right audio mode for those bright CDs. And you can call Logitech customer service to help you too, these guys are fantastic.
Good luck Peter.

* By the way Peter, I give up on those bright CDs. I now only listen to the ones that are nicely recorded, that solves my problem very nicely. :)

Cheers,

Bob

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
Hi Peter,

Well, this is good news that you own the Harmony 880.
I bet that I'm about your age too, but no matter, you can take your time with that great remote of yours, and teach it exactly the right audio mode for those bright CDs. And you can call Logitech customer service to help you too, these guys are fantastic.
Good luck Peter.

* By the way Peter, I give up on those bright CDs. I now only listen to the ones that are nicely recorded, that solves my problem very nicely. :)

Cheers,

Bob
Oh you snob! ;-)

The trouble is, many of these recordings were extremely well made. But they're mostly from forty years ago. What worked well on vinyl often doesn't translate well onto CD. You would think that when they make the CD, it wouldn't be difficult to tone down the highs just a bit.

So I have all of these phonograph records that have great frequency response but lots of pops, clicks and surface rumble, and a pile of nice shiny new CDs that, well, just don't quite cut it. :-(

Well it's off to the music room to play with that remote.
Thanks for the tips!

Peter White

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Time flies by.

^ Yeah, I know just what you're saying Peter.

40 years ago (1969), I was listening mainly to LPs (with very few 33's and even fewer 8-track tapes).

CDs came into the scene in 1983, about 25 years ago.
My first CD player was in 1987 (the Denon DCD-1500 II).

I got over 3,000 CDs now, and all the ones recorded in the 80s are pure crap, except for a very few ones, and some special audiophile labels.

Over the years, I learned how to pick the best recordings. So, now I got still a fair amount of only audiophile recordings on CDs.

I spent much more money on software than hardware (over $200,000).
My favorite formats are of course SACD and Blu-Ray for music listening (2-channel or multichannel).

And that's how life goes in music. :)

Bob

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Great advice guys on the Audyysey but should also add one thing. Last night I decided to rerun Audyysey after having not done it in six months, but in that time, I have bought higher stands and new DT 450's for my side surrounds and felt I should rerun to adjust for this. Anyway here's waht happend.

DefTech BP7001sc Mains (Fullrange - I switched to 40Hz for tighter bass, It also set the volume at 71db)
DefTech LCR2002 Center (70hz - I kept because that is what I would set them to, but it set the volume at 74db)
Deftech StudioMonitor 450's side surrounds (70Hz again I kept this, but it set the volume at 68db wtf :confused: )
Deftech Mythos Gems (150hz it can do 120hz but that's pushing it for gems but it set the volume at 69db)
SVS PB NSD12/2 (sub) set to 120Hz at 78Hz (yeah finally a winner)

So what does this mean, I am trying to say that Audyssey does many things quite well but when done please reveiw your crossovers and adjust yourself and check the volume setting with a trusty SPL meter (Radio shack sells em and they are probably the most important part of any HT setup. So I used the sound meter and adjusted the volume levels to 75db C-weighted, Slow response) to get proper calibration and left the sub at 78db (per Tom at SVS)

Audyssey gets the distance spot on but always screws up volume and crossovers so please always check those anytime you do an internal calibration with any reciever.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Audyssey gets the distance spot on but always screws up volume and crossovers so please always check those anytime you do an internal calibration with any reciever.
Incorrect. The xover issue is Onkyo's alone, not Audyssey's. It is also more accurate than a RS meter for measuring SPL.

If you are using other EQ programs, well, yeah you'll need that RS meter, and the Audyssey mic will do nothing for you. ;)

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Hadn't thought of that Jostenmeat, I did have THX Ultra 2running, but I thought when Audyysey was running, it disabled the EQ features to get proper measurements. Kinda stupid that it doesnt do that. But thanks for the insight.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hadn't thought of that Jostenmeat, I did have THX Ultra 2running, but I thought when Audyysey was running, it disabled the EQ features to get proper measurements. Kinda stupid that it doesnt do that. But thanks for the insight.
When you're running Audyssey, it does shut off THX mode and any other type of EQ (I believe), unless I'm missing something here.

And like Jostenmeat just said, always set your x-overs manually (lower if you want to, but not higher than what Onkyo set them at). Because you don't want to loose what Audyssey already EQ in the lower frequencies.

And as for the volume levels for each individual channel, well, it's a matter of personal preference. I always turn my surrounds a couple decibels up, for best integration at my listening position.
Accuracy is not necessary preference, so be flexible and free to adjust to your own taste.

Does that make any sense to you guys?

Bob

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
That's not what I meant. I suppose I was implying that the great difference in your measured SPL came from something else such as differing mic placements between RS and AS, for instance. I've even read that having fresh batteries can be key for the RS meter. Where the main advantage lies for the AS mic's accuracy over the RS is in the bass.

When you're running Audyssey, it does shut off THX mode and any other type of EQ (I believe), unless I'm missing something here.
You can still have post processing in the mix AFAIK. But, yeah, the other EQ abilities are defeated AFAIK.

And like Jostenmeat just said, always set your x-overs manually (lower if you want to, but not higher than what Onkyo set them at). Because you don't want to loose what Audyssey already EQ in the lower frequencies.

Does that make any sense to you guys?
Did you mean the opposite in regards to xover points?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Just a small revision.

Hi Josten,

What I mean is, that when you performing the Audyssey Automatic Room EQ Calibration, Audyssey is bypassing any type of processing, uncluding THX, in order to do the microphone measurements accurately.

Of course, after the measurements are done, you can apply any THX modes on top of Audyssey EQ, or any Audyssey EQ on top of THX, whatever.
Except for THX re-EQ with Audyssey "Flat" target curve. Then the THX re-EQ feature is automatically disable. Is that makes sense?

** About the x-overs choosen by your Onkyo receiver(s).
[After performing Audyssey Automatic Room EQ calibration.]

1. First, let Audyssey runs it's Automatic Room EQ calibration.

2. Then check the x-over points; if they are too high (which I highly doubt), you can lower them, but by not much (10hz to 20hz max). Anyway, it is very unlikely that this will ever happen (perhaps with very small satellite speakers).
* If they are too low, you can adjust them higher to your taste.
And if your speakers are set as full range, you can pick any x-over of your choice (80hz being a good one).

--> Is that sounds reasonable to you, Josten?

Regards,

Bob

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
LOTR, you also have to remember that Audyysey if it detects any speaker that transmits a signal below 40hz it will set as Large. My BP7001s go clean down to 30hz but after that drops like a rock, but Audyssey sets as Large, but at Large the internal tower subs get very boomy, so I set mine at 40hz.

I was at a GTG in Delware a few months back and the owner had Dynaudio flagship towers and although with three 8" woofers, the sound was far better set at 40hz (even though Audyssey set them as Large).

Each speaker is different but if Audyssey ever sets any speaker to Large, I would test it both ways (Large and 40Hz) to see what gives the best sound.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
LOTR, you also have to remember that Audyysey if it detects any speaker that transmits a signal below 40hz it will set as Large. My BP7001s go clean down to 30hz but after that drops like a rock, but Audyssey sets as Large, but at Large the internal tower subs get very boomy, so I set mine at 40hz.

I was at a GTG in Delware a few months back and the owner had Dynaudio flagship towers and although with three 8" woofers, the sound was far better set at 40hz (even though Audyssey set them as Large).

Each speaker is different but if Audyssey ever sets any speaker to Large, I would test it both ways (Large and 40Hz) to see what gives the best sound.
Hi Matthew,

Audyssey does not detect speaker x-overs, it just EQ them at the x-over point choosen by the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR805). It's a fact.
So from what Onkyo chooses, it will set your speakers as Large below a certain point (usually -3db at 80hz).

You're right, each speaker is different, so is each set of ears. ;)

Again, Audyssey DOES NOT SET your speaker's x-overs, or as Small, or as Large;
Onkyo does.
* Many people still have a hard time understanding this.

Regards,

Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Cold issue with my 805!

I've been acting very strange recently, and it is related directly to my Onkyo TX-SR805,
which is putting out less heat than usual! (About a couple degrees less.)
So I'm worry about the coming of next winter. Will it affect my heating bills in the upward direction?
I'm really counting on my 805 to keep me warm comes winter, and to save me the most possible on my my heating bills.

Anyone with a solution? That would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. By the way, I did remove the two internal fans, but it did not raise the temperature!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I've been acting very strange recently, and it is related directly to my Onkyo TX-SR805,
which is putting out less heat than usual! (About a couple degrees less.)
So I'm worry about the coming of next winter. Will it affect my heating bills in the upward direction?
I'm really counting on my 805 to keep me warm comes winter, and to save me the most possible on my my heating bills.

Anyone with a solution? That would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. By the way, I did remove the two internal fans, but it did not raise the temperature!
Run a full set of the Sonus Faber Minima Amator @ 90dbs for a few minutes:D
4 ohm with 1 ohm dips, 82bd 1w 1m, but sound fantastic

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis