Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Thank goodness for all those redundant cables we have lying around. Nice to see you putting them to use...:D
It is kinda nutty. Thanks to my non-HDMI receiver, I'm using 11 cables just for audio! That's 8 for the multi-channel analog audio, 2 for the dedicated stereo analog, and 1 for the digital coaxial. Add in one more cable for HDMI, and I've a veritable rat's nest behind my gear!

Still, she sure does sound shiny! :)

cheers,
supervij

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
It is kinda nutty. Thanks to my non-HDMI receiver, I'm using 11 cables just for audio! That's 8 for the multi-channel analog audio, 2 for the dedicated stereo analog, and 1 for the digital coaxial. Add in one more cable for HDMI, and I've a veritable rat's nest behind my gear!

Still, she sure does sound shiny! :)

cheers,
supervij
Don't forget the power cable!! Sorry, could not resist...I have read a couple of complaints about the pc fitting too loose. Both it and the HDMI cable appear to be of excellent quality. Note the power cable is 14 gauge. That's rare even on higher end gear.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Just pulled the trigger on one myself. BTW, does anyone know if the BDP-83 will play "backup" DVD-A disks (ie, ripped DVD-A without the watermark)? The other Oppos were known for this feature, and I was curious if anyone else had tested one of these to see. I'll find out soon enough, I guess. Now to decide if I need to hang onto my Denon 3910-it will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference between the two for HD audio or standard DVDs.
A couple of quick notes on my new '83 (received today):

1. BDP-83 works great with an HDMI connection for SACD and DVD-A hi-rez tracks (including 24/192) on my Denon AVR-3806. I would obviously give up the new Blu-Ray HD audio formats without analog, but I didn't have those before anyway with my DVD-3910.

2. The BDP-83 appears to play "backup" DVD-audio disks-I used a backup of Yes "Fragile", which is a watermarked DVD-A, and it seems to play the 24/96 stereo tracks without being stopped by a watermark detector (As occurs with my 3910). I did not play the entire disk, so I will report back with the complete results for this and a few other backups I have.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
If I have 'CD' selected on my receiver, I am listening to the Stereo Outputs, because that's how I have it routed to my receiver.

Stereo Outputs from the Oppo > CD inputs on my receiver.

Since I only have CD selected on my receiver, it is not possible for me to be listening to the multi-channel outputs from the player.

If you read the descriptions closely about the Oppo's features, the stereo (only jacks) of the player are as good as it gets for 2ch stereo analog. That is why I use them for CD playback. Multi-channel for SACD, DVD-A, and lossless BD audio. I use the digital ouptut for standard DVD for Dolby or DTS digital, although I could use multi-channel also.
Thank you. Stereo out to cd inputs for 2.0 or 2.1, multich for sacd, dvda, hd audio, and digi for dd/dts.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Posted this at AVS, but thought I would try over here as well to cover more territory....

Hiya guys.... pretty excited - my 83 comes tomorrow, just trying to get things setup ahead of time.....

Could use some help...

Does any have a pre configured Pronto IR code page for the BDP-83, looking to add it to my config, thought it would be worth a shot to ask.

I did download the hex code from the site, just hoping to save myself some time...

Thanks in advance....

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Anyone using this unit as a hi-rez 2 channel source?

I'd really like to know what folks are thinking about the 2 channel analog outs with hi-rez media and CD's. I have a dedicated 2 channnel setup and I'd b looking to replace my Denon 3930ci in the next year or so. Thanx ahead.

DJ

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
So far, very pleased..it is possible some might justify a high end CD player (ie; Cambridge Audio, Marantz, etc.) but to my ears any improvement would be incremental.
When you have to start listening closely for differences you have answered your own question. OTOH, compared with listening to a CD through most DVD players (BD or not) the 2ch improvement is quite noticeable to my ears. Not to say it knocked me off my feet, but it's like the difference before and after you polish an already clean car. :)

The world of SACD, DVD-A is not new to me, by my experience with them is limited. I certainly like what I hear so far, and lossless BD audio is impressive.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
A couple of weekends ago I got a chance to listen to John Garcia's Oppo. His rig never sounded better, so I registered last week, pre-ordered on Thursday and got the email yesterday. I picked it up and plugged it in last night. I was using a Sony S300 for BD and an Oppo 980 for DVD and SACD/DVD A. As others have noted, the BDP83 is a very nice player. I immediately noted the SQ uptick over analog for both 2 channel and MCH. I noted at John's greater depth and width along with better channel separation. His rig always sounded stellar before, so I'm glad to report, I received the same benefit along with an nice uptick in subtlety and tonal richness. The DACs are far superior to the other players I was using. I felt the upgrade was even greater than when I added a dedicated Luxman 2 channel pre into my rig (I haven't tried that with the Oppo yet). The tweakability and OSD menus are great and the remote is much better. I had no issues with bass management or the amount of bass with DVD A or SACD, but I will have to explore different settings for BR. I wasn't satisfied with Ironman with out a large bump and that bump was too much for Bolt. Center channel dialog is a tad heavy with DD True and DTS/MA-HD. I will hate to adjust settings for music and BRs. Upscaled DVD was noticeably superior to the Oppo 980 (which was pretty darned good). All in all, I'm going to be very happy when I get this guy dialed. Music listening is my guilty pleasure and this player's source capability is truly a big step up for my rig.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Got my Oppo yesterday, and I have to say, for my very first Blu-Ray player, this is a fantastic product, everything works perfectly and the SQ is great. I haven't done any 2 channel audio yet but I hooked it up through my Anthem D2v with HDMI so far and watched a couple movies - impressive, I'm really glad I waited for this unit to come along instead of getting the PS3. It integrated into my system so much easier then the Bluetooth would have.

I look forward to getting some time to play 2 channel and multichannel audio through the analog stage, to see how the performance differs...

Thumbs up with this player...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
A couple of weekends ago I got a chance to listen to John Garcia's Oppo. His rig never sounded better, so I registered last week, pre-ordered on Thursday and got the email yesterday. I picked it up and plugged it in last night. I was using a Sony S300 for BD and an Oppo 980 for DVD and SACD/DVD A. As others have noted, the BDP83 is a very nice player. I immediately noted the SQ uptick over analog for both 2 channel and MCH. I noted at John's greater depth and width along with better channel separation. His rig always sounded stellar before, so I'm glad to report, I received the same benefit along with an nice uptick in subtlety and tonal richness. The DACs are far superior to the other players I was using. I felt the upgrade was even greater than when I added a dedicated Luxman 2 channel pre into my rig (I haven't tried that with the Oppo yet). The tweakability and OSD menus are great and the remote is much better. I had no issues with bass management or the amount of bass with DVD A or SACD, but I will have to explore different settings for BR. I wasn't satisfied with Ironman with out a large bump and that bump was too much for Bolt. Center channel dialog is a tad heavy with DD True and DTS/MA-HD. I will hate to adjust settings for music and BRs. Upscaled DVD was noticeably superior to the Oppo 980 (which was pretty darned good). All in all, I'm going to be very happy when I get this guy dialed. Music listening is my guilty pleasure and this player's source capability is truly a big step up for my rig.
Thanks for the review Ron and I’m glad you are happy with the BDP-83. I haven’t noticed the elevated ("heavy") Center with the HD audio formats but I am using HDMI only so that may account for the difference. I have been thinking of hooking up the analogs but everything is sounding so good via HDMI, I haven’t bothered.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the review Ron and I’m glad you are happy with the BDP-83. I haven’t noticed the elevated ("heavy") Center with the HD audio formats but I am using HDMI only so that may account for the difference. I have been thinking of hooking up the analogs but everything is sounding so good via HDMI, I haven’t bothered.
Someday I'll upgrade my old HK to a pre/pro that will offer a significant SQ upgrade, get the new codecs and eq features and I'll go the HDMI route for the HT side. But for now, I'm pretty happy with my low/no cost AVR that doesn't color or over process the sound. The analog section of the Oppo isn't audiophile grade, but it's significantly better than what I had...gotta be happy with that. For 2 channel, just using the source, Luxman pre and amp in the chain, sans sub, gets me pretty close to a friend of mine's tube rig (close enough that I recognize the differences, but don't have too much envy anyway) and for that, it's all analog, baby :D.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Someday I'll upgrade my old HK to a pre/pro that will offer a significant SQ upgrade, get the new codecs and eq features and I'll go the HDMI route for the HT side. But for now, I'm pretty happy with my low/no cost AVR that doesn't color or over process the sound. The analog section of the Oppo isn't audiophile grade, but it's significantly better than what I had...gotta be happy with that. For 2 channel, just using the source, Luxman pre and amp in the chain, sans sub, gets me pretty close to a friend of mine's tube rig (close enough that I recognize the differences, but don't have too much envy anyway) and for that, it's all analog, baby :D.
Now if I still had my Revel Studios I’d be all over the analog connects, but with my high efficiency spl blasters I am less inclined to scratch the audiophile itch. Think of it as the sledgehammer (Angus Young:p) approach to audio.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Now if I still had my Revel Studios I’d be all over the analog connects, but with my high efficiency spl blasters I am less inclined to scratch the audiophile itch. Think of it as the sledgehammer (Angus Young:p) approach to audio.
John and I are pissed that you got rid of them before we got up there to hear them :p. I'm curious about the JTRs too. I imagine they are a tad dynamic.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
John and I are pissed that you got rid of them before we got up there to hear them :p. I'm curious about the JTRs too. I imagine they are a tad dynamic.
We'll have a GTG this summer and you guys are on the list. Maybe you can carpool:)

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
If we can match schedules, we probably will. Looking forward to it. Anytime you're down here, give me a holler too.

M

mziegler

Audioholic
I own an Oppo 980-H, a 50" Panny 720p plasma, and an Integra 9.8. I connect the Oppo and Integra via HDMI.

1. Would I notice much of an improvement in PQ if I go Blu-ray?

2. If yes, would it be worth spending $499 on the BDP-83, when I can spend $150 for a Blu-ray player? My Integra has some pretty good chips, so I wonder if I would really see or hear an improvement.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
1. You will see a slight improvement in PQ with DVDs, cos the upscaling in the 83 is pretty incredible. You will obviously see a big improvment in PQ with BDs.

2. I don't know if you'll have an improvement over the Integra; someone else will surely answer that for you. But I spent $499 on the 83, and I'm over the moon for the this player!

cheers,
supervij

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I own an Oppo 980-H, a 50" Panny 720p plasma, and an Integra 9.8. I connect the Oppo and Integra via HDMI.

1. Would I notice much of an improvement in PQ if I go Blu-ray?

2. If yes, would it be worth spending $499 on the BDP-83, when I can spend $150 for a Blu-ray player? My Integra has some pretty good chips, so I wonder if I would really see or hear an improvement.
1) Yes. I had the 980 and upscaling is better on the BDP-83. The audio portion is considerably better than the 980 as well (analog).

2) Most decent quality BD players are going to give you more or less similar video quality, that being a significant upgrade over DVD.

We'll have a GTG this summer and you guys are on the list. Maybe you can carpool:)
Let me know when :)

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Sorry to report I've already had an issue with mine. While watching a BD yesterday the audio levels (analog multi-channel) were down quite a bit.
I rechecked the volume with a test disk, and the same thing.

I hit the 'factory reset' on the Oppo..turned it off for about a minute, powered back on and went through the entire setup again.

On the positive side, I was able to set the analog levels at 75db (with a meter) with a maximum 1db crank in the Oppo menu for each speaker position.

The sub at 2db for an 80db level. (my Arcam applies 10db for analog multi-channel.)...
close to perfect..very happy with it now..but will re-check later.

I read on the avs forum about a couple of people having similar problems and losing the Oppo analog trim settings when powering it back on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis