Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
And digital (optical or coaxial) for standard DVDs (DTS/Dolby 5.1).
You can use the multichannel analog for everything, though I tried a few CDs and it looks like bass management is not properly applied to stereo discs. It only plays the stereo track with no sub. Which means if you have your speakers set to small and sub=yes, then they are still crossed over and will not play the whole range.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
Hi,

I have received my Oppo BDP-83 today. Connecting to Denon AVR 689, Video via HDMI, Audio via 7.1 analog, and Paradigm CT110 speakers.

DVD and Blu-ray offers superior picture & sound quality. However, when I play a stereo CD, I hear nothing (no sound). Then I hook up with a coxial cable - now I have sound but quality is not good. Did I do anything wrong in settings? Please advice what to do if I wanted to listen to music CDs and SACDs.
If you're getting sound with Blu-ray discs then your hook up is fine. Now when you listen to cd's or sacd's you must change the setting in your Denon so it plays thru the analog connections. The setting should just ask digital output or analog output. Check your Denon manual. Choosing the Oppo may sound better then your Denon.

When you listen thru the digital coax your Denon's dac processes the sound. When you listen thru the analog the Oppo's dac does the processing. For me the Oppo is sounding better then my Yamaha so I don't listen thru my digital connection even though it's connected. My stereo analogs aren't hooked up. You don't need to hook up the stereo analogs at all since you're hooked up thru the multi channel analogs.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
You can use the multichannel analog for everything, though I tried a few CDs and it looks like bass management is not properly applied to stereo discs. It only plays the stereo track with no sub. Which means if you have your speakers set to small and sub=yes, then they are still crossed over and will not play the whole range.
Interesting. I'm getting good bass on cd's and sacd's. I was thinking my bass might be weak when watching Blu-rays.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Been looking over these threads and plan to get one when available for reg public sale...passed down my chance a week ago for one...anyways, I'll be using the analog outs to my pre/pro. Can I use this setup for hd movie sound as well as dvda/sacd...use the dedicated analog stereo out for 2ch cd...use the digi out for regular dvd? would this be correct hookup. I would run the hdmi directly to display. Want to be ready for proper connections before I even get one. Thanks.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
Been looking over these threads and plan to get one when available for reg public sale...passed down my chance a week ago for one...anyways, I'll be using the analog outs to my pre/pro. Can I use this setup for hd movie sound as well as dvda/sacd...use the dedicated analog stereo out for 2ch cd...use the digi out for regular dvd? would this be correct hookup. I would run the hdmi directly to display. Want to be ready for proper connections before I even get one. Thanks.
Dude..Read the above threads for hook up instructions...

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Dude..Read the above threads for hook up instructions...
Been reading but not much is clear really...new users are asking basically the same questions but using different wording and the bass management thing is not clear as many of us have different system front end. I'll tell you what...you can hook it up when I get one...how 'bout that!

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I'm not certain it's my imagination or not, but DivX video files seem to look a little bit better on the 83 than the 981. Small gain for people on this site, but still good. I have yet to try an mkv or a DivXHD or an AVCHD file, though -- don't think I have any.

I watched "Space Seed", an episode from the first season of Star Trek: The Original Series (Blu-ray), and was really knocked out by the picture. The uncompressed sound was fine, but nothing to write home about, really.

Listened to Genesis' A Trick of the Tail SACD the other day, and was wowed again! Like before, the sound was smooth as silk -- even the bass, which on the 981, was more boomy. Which is strange: a player that makes the bass sound better, rather than moving the sub or using room treatments?! I can't explain it, but I'm happy with it. :)

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: Is anyone using a Harmony remote with the Oppo 83? I am, and can't seem to find an option in the Harmony selections to work the dimmer function on the Oppo's front display. Anyone get that to work with a Harmony?

Last edited:
D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I agree you 'could'...I don't know how it would compare, it would have a lot to do with how multi-channel digital is handled by your receiver, In most cases I would not expect much difference. Admittedly, I have not done that much comparison except to notice it seems to work fine either way.

The 'full' stereo track from a stereo CD is at the dedicated 'stereo output' of the Oppo, so I fail to see how that is different from any other CD player. Any bass management would be done in your receiver.

I use the dedicated stereo out from the Oppo to my receiver for CD listening. I can select 'direct' stereo (without sub), or normal stereo (with sub) at my receiver. For a receiver without a 'direct' option, stereo with sub should apply.

Look at the NOTE on P. 16 of the manual.

Last edited:
C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
I use the dedicated stereo out from the Oppo to my receiver for CD listening. I can select 'direct' stereo (without sub), or normal stereo (with sub) at my receiver. For a receiver without a 'direct' option, stereo with sub should apply.

l.
If you have both connections hooked up (digital and stereo analog) then you must chose the analog connection before you play a cd. Otherwise, most likely your receiver or whatever you're using will default to the digital output. I believe I read in one of your posts that you have all 3 connections made. When you play a cd do you actually know if it's coming thru the analog or digital connection? There's a chance one might sound better then the other.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
If you have both connections hooked up (digital and stereo analog) then you must chose the analog connection before you play a cd. Otherwise, most likely your receiver or whatever you're using will default to the digital output. I believe I read in one of your posts that you have all 3 connections made. When you play a cd do you actually know if it's coming thru the analog or digital connection? There's a chance one might sound better then the other.
If I have 'CD' selected on my receiver, I am listening to the Stereo Outputs, because that's how I have it routed to my receiver.

Stereo Outputs from the Oppo > CD inputs on my receiver.

Since I only have CD selected on my receiver, it is not possible for me to be listening to the multi-channel outputs from the player.

If you read the descriptions closely about the Oppo's features, the stereo (only jacks) of the player are as good as it gets for 2ch stereo analog. That is why I use them for CD playback. Multi-channel for SACD, DVD-A, and lossless BD audio. I use the digital ouptut for standard DVD for Dolby or DTS digital, although I could use multi-channel also.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
If I have 'CD' selected on my receiver, I am listening to the Stereo Outputs, because that's how I have it routed to my receiver.

Since I only have CD selected on my receiver, it is not possible for me to be listening to the multi-channel outputs from the player.

If you read the descriptions closely about the Oppo's features, the stereo (only jacks) of the player are as good as it gets for 2ch stereo analog. That is why I use them for CD playback. Multi-channel for SACD, DVD-A, and lossless BD audio. I use the digital ouptut for standard DVD for Dolby or DTS digital, although I could use multi-channel also.
Thank goodness for all those redundant cables we have lying around. Nice to see you putting them to use...:D

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Thank goodness for all those redundant cables we have lying around. Nice to see you putting them to use...:D

Of course, a lot more since my receiver does not process HDMI audio and I don't use a separate CD player.

I bet you forgot to add in the Cat 5 cable I have for networking.;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I don't have the stereo analog connection made. I only have coaxial digital and the m/c analog. For BD, DVD, SACD and DVD-A I use the m/c analog and the bass management is ONLY for multichannel unless you set it to downmix. It will NOT process CDs correctly, which is the same as most other m/c players I've used. Via coaxial digital you get the receiver's bass management, but via m/c analog the bass management will not send full range that can be bass managed by the receiver because most do not manage the m/c inputs.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I have a 5.1 system, and never change the 'downmix' setting in the mch menu from 5.1.

I use the dedicated stereo out from the Oppo for CDs and let my receiver handle that as it would from any other 'CD player'. No BM in the Oppo is involved.

Since my receiver (like most) processes std. DVD digital audio, that's what I chose..even if it means using one more cable.

BM is handled fine by my receiver when I need it for CDs (analog) or std. DVD (digital). (RECEIVER SETTINGS: 'CD' OR 'DVD' respectively)

BM is handled fine by the Oppo when I use mch analog for SACD, DVD-A, and lossless BD. (RECEIVER SETTINGS: 'DVD + MCH')

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I just got mine today.:D I must say it really surprised me how heavy it is. I don't remember every having a dvd player that weighted this much. Has anyone opened theirs up to see if they added some kind of lead lining.:rolleyes:

I rode my bike home so I have to wait for a coworker to drop it off on her way home. I don't like to wait.:(

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic

I did some serious listening concentrating on the bass. Yes, as was stated a few posts up bass is weak from the multi channel analog inputs. It's there but just not full at all. Especially when switching over to the digital input to my Yamaha. So I pulled out some extra analog cables (monster) and hooked them up to the Oppo stereo outputs. Bass is kickin' *** again. Man, it's tough to hear a difference between the analog and digital connection when listening to cd's.

Anyway, everything is hooked up as quoted above. Now I'm jazzin', swingin' and rockin' the right way.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
You would normally have a 10 db sub boost in your receiver when using mch analogs. If your receiver does not offer that selection, you can boost the volume on your sub manually, etc.

This was covered some in earlier posts, I believe.
But for CDs, I think it's best to use the dedicated stereo outputs.

S

septim

Audioholic
If I have no SACD or DVDA and I already have a PS3 which I have setup streaming my music library FLAC files I'm assuming the Oppo is probably not for me...?

Also I have the PS3 which can play SACDs.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Mine comes on Friday..... Bought a few new Blu-Rays.... getting kinda excited....

Anywho... is this lack of bass something that happens though HDMI? or just the analog audio outs...?

Thanks

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
There should be no lack of bass if the player is setup correctly as well as the rest of the system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis