Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Update

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So are you guys feeling a lack of bass? Are you turning the bass up? I just haven't noticed a bass problem.
No, that means the 83 does not have a problem common to many hires audio players. That is another feather in the hat for this player.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
They way Oppo described bass management through analogs is how it is supposed to work,

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
The subwoofer should be -10dB through the subwoofer interface for all content sources. So a universal +10dB boost on your receiver should produce proper levels across all media formats.
Forgive my ignorance, j, but that seems to indicate that we do have to increase the sub level by 10 dB when using the analog outs, just like every other player I had. Or am I reading something wrong?

cheers,
supervij

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Oh, hang on a sec. I get it now. With my past players, when using the multi-channel analog outs, I had to do a 10 dB boost for DVD-A and SACD, but NOT for DVD.

With this new player, when using the multi-channel analog outs, I must do a 10 dB boost for everything -- BD, CD, DivX, DVD, DVD-A, SACD . . . everything.

Okay. That's way clearer in my wee brain now. And you're right, j: that is a huge help, not having to apply the boost for some things and not for others.

cheers,
supervij

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
For sacd output. Did you guys chose PCM or the DSD option. This is for the analog connection. Just curious.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Oh, hang on a sec. I get it now. With my past players, when using the multi-channel analog outs, I had to do a 10 dB boost for DVD-A and SACD, but NOT for DVD.

With this new player, when using the multi-channel analog outs, I must do a 10 dB boost for everything -- BD, CD, DivX, DVD, DVD-A, SACD . . . everything.

Okay. That's way clearer in my wee brain now. And you're right, j: that is a huge help, not having to apply the boost for some things and not for others.

cheers,
supervij
I normally use digital inputs for std. DVD (no lossless audio), and your receiver should automatically process Dolby or DTS 5.1. You should not have to do anything to your receiver settings.

I think they are only referring to BD, SACD ,and DVD-A for 7.1/5.1 processing through analog (with ref. to 10db bass cut/boost).

For CDs, you will get pure analog 2 ch audio from the dedicated jacks on the rear of the Oppo, and you would normally use dedicated stereo inputs into your receiver.

Of course, all the outputs are normally active simultaneously, it is how you are connected and how your receiver is programmed that determines how each is routed.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
For sacd output. Did you guys chose PCM or the DSD option. This is for the analog connection. Just curious.
Tried both, did not really hear much difference but I don't have many recordings to compare. Certainly may differ with the specific disk.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Tried both, did not really hear much difference but I don't have many recordings to compare. Certainly may differ with the specific disk.
PCM and DSD don't apply to analog. They would only apply to HDMI connections.

Jim

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
PCM and DSD don't apply to analog. They would only apply to HDMI connections.

Jim
I would agree, with analog ourputs it should sound the same regardless of the setting.

Per Oppo manual:

PCM – SACD Direct Stream Digital (DSD) data is converted into multi-channel, highresolution PCM data. The converted PCM data is then output through HDMI or the internal DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) for the analog audio output ports. If you use a receiver that supports HDMI v1.1 to listen to SACD, please select this option. You may also want to
select this option if you prefer the sound quality of the DSD-to-PCM conversion.

• DSD – SACD DSD data is output over HDMI without any conversion. For the analog audio outputs DSD data is converted into analog signal directly by the internal DAC. If you use a receiver that supports HDMI v1.2a with DSD over HDMI, or you prefer the sound quality of straight DSD to analog, please select this option.

Last edited:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
D'oh! DaleAV, you got it; that was exactly what I wanted to say but was unable to due to lack of sleep.

BD, DVD-A, SACD -- multi-channel analog outputs
CD -- stereo analog output
DivX, DVD -- digital audio output

That's how I'm connected, and how I listen to the various schtuff.

cheers,
supervij

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
D'oh! DaleAV, you got it; that was exactly what I wanted to say but was unable to due to lack of sleep.

BD, DVD-A, SACD -- multi-channel analog outputs
CD -- stereo analog output
DivX, DVD -- digital audio output

That's how I'm connected, and how I listen to the various schtuff.

cheers,
supervij
Are you happy overall with the player? I am quite pleased..and it loads BD so fast besides! What a winner!

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Got my Oppo BDP-83 on Friday. I've watched a couple BD movies, 1 regular movie and a bunch of CD's so far. The player is outstanding. I'm very happy with my purchase and the SQ is top shelf via Digital and Analog outputs, including Multi-channel...

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Tell us more ! :) Have you compared blu-ray performance yet to other players ? Is the player as responsive as the PS3 ?

Thanks.

Regards,

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Tell us more ! :) Have you compared blu-ray performance yet to other players ? Is the player as responsive as the PS3 ?

Thanks.

Regards,
BD is essentially the same for most players. Although the 83 offers more selections for video processing, not likely to make much difference on most displays.
If by responsive you mean 'load times', there is no comparison with a PS3 or any other popular player (or even unpopular for that matter :)

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
BD is essentially the same for most players. Although the 83 offers more selections for video processing, not likely to make much difference on most displays.
If by responsive you mean 'load times', there is no comparison with a PS3 or any other popular player (or even unpopular for that matter :)
Agreed... Load times are much, much faster. I used to loathe putting in BD into my Sony player because of how long it took to load. The PS3 is a little better than the dedicated Sony player, I have both, but the Oppo is by far quicker. You can switch display resolution on the fly, etc. The remote is great, then Onscreen menus are great. This is my favorite all around player by far so far. I'm selling my Sony stand alone and my Denon 3910. The sale of both will pay for the Oppo and maybe even give me a little more money than the Oppo cost!!! When does an upgrade actually cost less??? :D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thats awesome gregg, I can't wait to get mine.... should be here next friday, I'm very excited....

majorloser

majorloser

I spend the last few hours doing a little "critical listening" with my system. It's the first time in quite a long while that I actually sat down and spent some time just listening. :cool:

So I decided to bust out a few SACD's just to see what the OPPO would do with that format.

I started off with "Harry Connick Jr. - We Are In Love"

It has some great instrumental arrangements that can really make a great set of speakers sound awesome or point out the flaws in lesser speakers.

Though an older recording that was later re-issued to SACD, my next disc is still considered a "must own" by many critics. "RCA Living Stereo, A Hi-Fi Spectacular, Saint-Saens/Debussy/Ibert"

And lastly I finished with the old standard, DSOTM.

One of my all time favorite recordings issued in a format that really does it some justice.

Though I have been under the influence of alcohol while enjoying myself, I think I can say the OPPO player did a grand job of handling my music sellections for the evening. :cool:

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions, for sure DSOTM does sound nice!
What about 2ch stereo? I think it deserves a mention how well CDs sound with the Oppo:

Might try Grover Washington Jr. "Winelight" and Johnny Cash "Unchained", for starters. :)

M

mpact

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I have received my Oppo BDP-83 today. Connecting to Denon AVR 689, Video via HDMI, Audio via 7.1 analog, and Paradigm CT110 speakers.

DVD and Blu-ray offers superior picture & sound quality. However, when I play a stereo CD, I hear nothing (no sound). Then I hook up with a coxial cable - now I have sound but quality is not good. Did I do anything wrong in settings? Please advice what to do if I wanted to listen to music CDs and SACDs.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Hi,

I have received my Oppo BDP-83 today. Connecting to Denon AVR 689, Video via HDMI, Audio via 7.1 analog, and Paradigm CT110 speakers.

DVD and Blu-ray offers superior picture & sound quality. However, when I play a stereo CD, I hear nothing (no sound). Then I hook up with a coxial cable - now I have sound but quality is not good. Did I do anything wrong in settings? Please advice what to do if I wanted to listen to music CDs and SACDs.
There are dedicated stereo analog RCA outputs at the rear of the Oppo. Those should go to stereo analog RCA inputs on your receiver (not the 7.1/5.1 analog inputs).
Naturally, for SACD, DVD-A, and other lossless audio (DTS Master HD, TrueHD), you would use the multi-channel inputs on your receiver from the analog (5.1/7.1) on the Oppo if not using HDMI for audio.

And digital (optical or coaxial) for standard DVDs (DTS/Dolby 5.1).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis