tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Star trek has been a part of my life since i was a small boy. I have seen every episode (multiple times) of every show and every movie.

I am not a star trek freak though.

I saw this movie yesterday, and walked away with mixed emotions. As a movie in itself, it was great. I had a great start that kept going strong.

Things i didnt like (minor spoilers)

1) Music - Didnt incorporate key star trek themes in movie. Music was actually lame i thought.

2) Ship - Engineering section of ship. WTF was that. Is this a star ship or a steam ship. There wasnt even a warp core. Warp nacelles out of portion to rest of ship and incorrect color of busard collectors. Enterprise was contructed in space not on earth. It would never be able to launch into orbit. Bridge was too chaotic and too futuristic, whereas shuttle pods were like old buses.

3) Blowing up a key planet that is vital to star trek - Big mistake

4) Alterinig the entire star trek universe from this point on

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
3) Blowing up a key planet that is vital to star trek - Big mistake

4) Alterinig the entire star trek universe from this point on
Perhaps that is the storyline from here on out that was mentioned by one crew member. a new timeline

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Some

They should at least try to adhere to some of the basic principles of the past to appease true trek fans ...
Well, they seem to be doing that, some of the basic but there it ends, a new future:D

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I went to see this on Fri night. I really enjoyed the movie. Some unbelievable parts for sure, but great overall. I saw it in an all digital theater and thought the pic was really sharp and the sound was very good. The last movie I went to was "Knowing" in one of their standard theaters. That presentation sucked big time. The pic was somewhat out of focus, flat and the sound was mediocre at best. This was was FAR better. Worth the price of admission on sound and pic quality alone.

Urban was the best of the new characters, in my opinion, as Bones. I'm not so much of a Trekkie to know if that was the way he got his nickname, but thought it was neat to hear how, anyway.

With the storyline, it's easy to allow for variances to the original, including the planet destruction, especially going forward. It can still be true enough to the original ST and yet be fresh and "explore strange new worlds."

Completely faithful, it's not, but if you allow a little grace, I think even the die-hard fans can enjoy it. Bottom line from this guy is go see it. I can't wait for the rest of the summer if this is any indication of what's coming!:D

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
But red matter????? Oh what the hell live long and prosper Spock

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Completely faithful, it's not, but if you allow a little grace,
My fear was before seeing the trailers, how will they treat that 40 year old set, ancient everything for going to space with such a ship.
But, they alleviated that fear and did a great job and a new path forward as it is highly possible in their universe.
My other thought is what about the 28th century time travel capability that was shown in some film or series episodes? Are they going to put it back in the 3rd movie? ;):D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, got to see this film today. Thought it was good. Really liked the characters. Both Scotty and Spock were well done! Noticed the short skirts and that green chick was a hottie!!!! :D;):D Would had been nice if they pushed the envelope a bit more with the "eye-candy". :p:eek::p Over all, I would have to give this film a B+ and am glad I seen it. Really appreciated the humor in it. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Just got back from IMAX. Overall, I thought it was a fun movie. I don't mind seeing Star Trek from a different angle. I felt the story was weak, but that's me.

majorloser

majorloser

I'll give the film a 4 out of 5.

It was actually a pretty good movie. Of course for the ultra Trekkie it will be a disappointment, but how much more story can you beat out of those old war horses? The new change in direction to the stories will hopefully breath some new life into Star Trek and allow for a follow up movie.

But I agree with Mudshark....

Red Matter :confused::confused::confused:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Saw it last night with the wife. I thought it was pretty boring actually. I go to Star Trek movies to see some cool space battles and there wasn't much in this movie, (one short one in the beginning and one at the end). The story was kinda lame, but I liked the actors. I'm still on the fence on the new Kirk dude. He only seemed like Kirk at the end. I like Sylar as Spock, and I like Shaun of the Dead as Scotty. But he was a little too much, comic relief. Scotty wasn't a goof ball in the original series.

Hopefully they'll do better on the next one, if they make another one.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... Scotty wasn't a goof ball in the original series.

But wasn't the original series years after this time period? Perhaps by then he wasn't. No idea what they were like at the academy or right afterwards, right?

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Didnt kirk serve abord the farragut before becoming captain of the enterprise?

You dont go from cadet to captain in 1 hour

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Didnt kirk serve abord the farragut before becoming captain of the enterprise?

You dont go from cadet to captain in 1 hour
Wasn't Capt. Pike the first captain of the enterprise?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
But wasn't the original series years after this time period? Perhaps by then he wasn't. No idea what they were like at the academy or right afterwards, right?
Well if you check their yearbook Scotty was voted "Class Clown".:D

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Yes on both counts. Pike was ineed captain of the Enterprise in the pilot while Kirk served on several ships during his career as well as Captain of lesser vessels. Apparently the future has now changed and the writers have cart blanche to do what they wish. Scotty was fine. This was not the experienced engineer mid career but a brilliant budding star just out of his teens.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I enjoyed this movie. I'm not a Stark Trek fan, and I only have limited knowledge of the original cast, but this move seemed to work well. One thing you need to get around is the target audience this movie is aimed at, which isn't the original fans. Just like the new transformers movies, this movie was aimed at the younger generation, that wasn't familiar with the original series (although I was a fan of the original transformers). I'm just glad to see classics like these reborn in the 21st century, even if it means changes. Change isn't a bad thing, it's not like the original is now stricken from all stores.

Also, since this is a re-start, they can technically change up the facts. different writers with the same baseline. A more successful re-start would be the Batman Begins / The Dark Knight. That is a much more true to form movie, but it was based off a comic.

Oh yeah, lots of bass in this one. A good subwoofer movie for sure when it hits Blu Ray.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis