N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
I saw it yesterday and I have some mixed feelings. The plot is something similar to Star Trek :Nemesis.: Some guy on a revenge path.
I liked some of the characters, but some was not sure. For instance Uhura. What was her purpose? Also I was looking for some more action with drastic manovers with enterprise itself. Phasers firing in a cat and chase.

I like the new warp drives punch :)
The transporters seemed to take long. I also wonderded about the jump in space suits from space to through the volcan atmosphere.
Anyway I did enjoy the sound effect. Isnt that what matters as an audioaholic?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, the uhura-spock kissy-kissy relationship didn't sit well with me. the whole time i was waiting for spock to put her in her place for being so PDA-ish.

many of the star trek movies are revenge-oriented though. :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The plot is something similar to Star Trek :Nemesis.: Some guy on a revenge path.
I was worried about this. Why can't they stop making scifi movies that either have a mad man bent on destroying the Earth or a single pilot must fly into a super structure to destroy it.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I enjoyed this movie. I'm not a Stark Trek fan, and I only have limited knowledge of the original cast, but this move seemed to work well. One thing you need to get around is the target audience this movie is aimed at, which isn't the original fans. Just like the new transformers movies, this movie was aimed at the younger generation, that wasn't familiar with the original series (although I was a fan of the original transformers). I'm just glad to see classics like these reborn in the 21st century, even if it means changes. Change isn't a bad thing, it's not like the original is now stricken from all stores.

Also, since this is a re-start, they can technically change up the facts. different writers with the same baseline. A more successful re-start would be the Batman Begins / The Dark Knight. That is a much more true to form movie, but it was based off a comic.

Oh yeah, lots of bass in this one. A good subwoofer movie for sure when it hits Blu Ray.

SheepStar
Yep. And in terms of bass, the explosions and the Warps are stunning low end!

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Not a huge trekkie but I was wondering ,How come Leonard Nimoy but no William Shattner I mean the original J.T. Kirk should of had a cameo ,right ? :confused:

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
My wife and I saw this yesterday and liked it very much. Can't wait to get this one home. The theater has recently upgraded several of their theaters to digital projection, so it was our first time seeing that. Pretty nice, think UP will be our introduction to Digital 3D. OH, and got to see Transformers trailer on the big screen! Can't wait for that as well. And, at the end of the G.I. Joe trailer, she leans over as says that looks pretty good. I lover her so. :) {she's the one who has seen Transformers 13 times with me, and usually in the mood for something loud}

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Not a huge trekkie but I was wondering ,How come Leonard Nimoy but no William Shattner I mean the original J.T. Kirk should of had a cameo ,right ?
Since they killed off Kirk in Generations, it probably would have been too difficult to explain his resurrection among all the other stuff happening. Also its likely Shatner didn't sign a deal for it.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Scotty was fine. This was not the experienced engineer mid career but a brilliant budding star just out of his teens.
What the hell was the deal with Scotty's rapid promotion?!?!? He goes from being an exiled engineer with a brilliant theory about warp transporting to the Chief Engineer of the Enterprise in about 5 minutes!!! Shouldn't there have been some kind of interview at least?!?!

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Well, darien to take your complaint further why was a bunch of recent academy grads put on the best new starship in positions of authority anyway. Scotty was put in a technical position at least for which he was qualified even if not experienced enough to manage the engineering section. Who knows?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I am cautiously optimistic but as a Trekkie I don't expect this movie to feel very trekkie. I think its ridiculous they built this ship on Earth. The Romulan guy looks nothing like a real Romulan so not sure where they are going with that. I saw a scene where Kirk and crew jumped out of a ship to land on a planet. I hope they were in the planets atmosphere and did not jump out in space else its really gonna burn me up (no pun intended) :)

They should at least try to adhere to some of the basic principles of the past to appease true trek fans whom have solely carried this franchise for over 50 years.
"over 50 years"???? So you are saying the franchise started before 1959? I thought it began in 1966.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
"over 50 years"???? So you are saying the franchise started before 1959? I thought it began in 1966.
Nope but what's +-5 years anyways :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Well, darien to take your complaint further why was a bunch of recent academy grads put on the best new starship in positions of authority anyway. Scotty was put in a technical position at least for which he was qualified even if not experienced enough to manage the engineering section. Who knows?
This was briefly explained. The entire fleet was tied up in a war and recent grads were all that were left to work the vacant ships.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Nope but what's +-5 years anyways :D
I hate to correct you twice, but the difference between "before 1959" and 1966 is more than 5 years. Perhaps it would be better to simply amend your original statement, and change "over 50 years" to "over 40 years".

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I hate to correct you twice, but the difference between "before 1959" and 1966 is more than 5 years. Perhaps it would be better to simply amend your original statement, and change "over 50 years" to "over 40 years".
Um +-5 years gives me a total of 10 years of slack. Haven't you ever read a loudspeaker frequency response spec before? :D

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
I took my son to see it yesterday afternoon and I thought it was very well done. I thought the new cast did a very good job and especially young Spock caught a lot of the nuances of the original Spock nicely - but I too thought the Ohura deal was out of character for both of them.

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out over the next couple of movies as I seem to recall reading the cast was on board for a couple more (at least). Guess it'll give JJ something to focus on after LOST wraps up next year.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Um +-5 years gives me a total of 10 years of slack. Haven't you ever read a loudspeaker frequency response spec before? :D
It gives you 5 years in each direction. 1966, +/- 5 years, is 1961-1971. So before 1959 is beyond that.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
gene,

Have you watched it yet? I am curious to read what you thought of it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis