Bad economy hitting a little to close to home

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Well we had 3 hours of corporate conf. calls yesterday; where it was announced, that they were outsourcing all off our billing centers. They haven't said how many jobs will be lost but we have 6 different billing centers throughout the Nation. We have ~12000 employees and I would guess that they are looking at a total reduction of 20%.

No one in sales is at risk but I hate to see more people being affected by this economy. This is the first time I have seen the medical field affected like this.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm use to lay offs due to job completions in the construction industry but I gotta say, this is pretty bad. I've been alright with it because of some stuff going on in my personal life that I required time for like people dieing, quitting smoking and home audio: serious stuff. ;)

If this goes on for much longer I am going back to Ft. Worth to live in my best friend's garage. He recently renovated the millwork. I got me some elephant skin boots from the worlds largest boot store or something out Arlington way from Sept. 26, 1987. I'll fit right in. :)

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
It is really depressing that the workers in the medical field are getting hit by the recession. Everyone assumes that there are always going to be sick people, recession or not, so that that field is safe. We are outsourcing at my job too. I also found out that AT&T/Yahoo outsourced their customer service or at least technical help when I called. With all this going on who is going to buy all the consumer goods to keep the economy going?

majorloser

majorloser

I manage a water system for a local government.
I was just asked last week to list the positions/people I can do without.
In other words, help them figure out who to lay off. :eek::mad::(

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Hope you come out okay Paradigmdawg and others:) -- Andy Rooney nailed it!

Well we had 3 hours of corporate conf. calls yesterday; where it was announced, that they were outsourcing all off our billing centers. They haven't said how many jobs will be lost but we have 6 different billing centers throughout the Nation. We have ~12000 employees and I would guess that they are looking at a total reduction of 20%.

No one in sales is at risk but I hate to see more people being affected by this economy. This is the first time I have seen the medical field affected like this.

Paradigmdawg and others,

I hope you guys come okay. I think we would be in better position on this current "downturn" if our leadership knew anything about economics. I was laid offf two months ago and so far have been very unsuccessful in even getting a meaningful interview.

Andy Rooney hit the nail on the head and suprisingly wasn't censored by CBS

Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.
I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE ?
I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.
I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.
When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.
I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.
I think the police should have every right to shoot you if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.
I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.
We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.
I don't hate the rich; I don't pity the poor..
I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.
I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.
It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say 'NO!'
I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement.. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!
I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa ; so how can they be 'African-Americans'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else
And if you don't like my point of view, tough...

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTYAND JUSTICE FOR ALL!
I was asked to send this on if I agree or delete if I don't. It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a problem in having 'In God We Trust' on our money and having 'God' in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't we just tell the 14% to BE QUIET!!!

If you agree, pass this on, if not delete.....

Later,

MidCow2

Last edited by a moderator:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'll never know what its like being black? However the other day I saw a stat based on your average white American family having $10.00 for every $1.00 the black one has. I guess that is all I'm going to say!:(

Regards, Bill

jinjuku

jinjuku

Paradigmdawg and others,

I hope you guys come okay. I think we would be in better position on this current "downturn" if our leadership knew anything about economics. I was laid offf two months ago and so far have been very unsuccessful in even getting a meaningful interview.

Andy Rooney hit the nail on the head and suprisingly wasn't censored by CBS

Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTYAND JUSTICE FOR ALL!
I was asked to send this on if I agree or delete if I don't. It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a problem in having 'In God We Trust' on our money and having 'God' in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't we just tell the 14% to BE QUIET!!!

If you agree, pass this on, if not delete.....

Later,

MidCow2

Just because almost 100% of children believe in: Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny doesn't make it so.

What I will agree on: 86% of whomever believing something that isn't provable, doesn't make it a fact. A million wrong people are just as wrong as one person. If believing in God makes you feel safer/better/superior/more 'moral', more power to you. Just please leave the 14% who don't share your views alone.

jinjuku

jinjuku

As far as...

First, I hate assuming that any 'black' person is from Africa. I know a few Trinidadian's. They would take offense.

Secondly: It's about time that you started being an a American first.

Third: In the history view of things, we are just past the point of severe and systematic discrimination. I am guessing that much of the black culture issues in America today is a direct result. There are still direct ties of people that lived in a discriminate society. A few hundred years of bigotry are not wiped out in a generation or two. It's going to take time.

It will take the passing of my parents generation (they are in their sixties) for some more of this to pass. Much to my embarrassment, both my parents are racists. They may say they aren't, but they indeed are.

BTW, my Dad's side of the family is off the reservation. So if anyone has a right to be incensed...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
PDawg, I hope all goes well with your company. I am fortunate enough to be living in a town that, for the most part, has been shielded from the current economic problems. Despite this, they handed out funding for next year within my department. It is looking like less than half those who applied will be receiving it, a large drop from the 65-70% in the past.

You beat me to it...
Chain mail annoys me. Most of it is not rooted in truth and no one takes the 5 seconds to Google the topic before spreading the virus of ignorance.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
My wife was working for a company who was making a medical device to bring to market. She was gathering clinical data which would be presented to the FDA for final approval to bring the device to market. Once all the data had been gathered, they said “thanks – see ya” That was January 15th.

She’s had a lot of leads, submitted resumes to dozens of places, had a few interviews, but no new job yet.

There is no quick easy fix. If there were, the unemployment rate would be close to nill.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Man, that sucks. I hate hearing about stuff like this. I live in an area where little recessionary impact can be seen and felt, but I know its out there. And, I get that its not an easy fix but it still pisses me off that we deal with these stories almost on a daily basis now. PD, CraigV, and everybody else really close to these issues, my best wishes...

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
My wife and I are both in the auto industry. We're just waiting for the hammer to fall.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Greg, I am so sorry to hear about this. Perhaps, it may not be as bad as you are thinking. But then again, it could actually be worse. Lets hope not. Sadly, this kind of thing is going on all over this great country of ours. My question is, when are our legislators going to open their eyes and STOP pretending? More specifically, when is all the "talk" going to stop and the "action" take place. Standing around talking about our problems all the time is NOT going to solve them. As such, we need a plan of action-one that is real AND practical, not from a fairy-tale. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Hang in there my friend. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm use to lay offs due to job completions in the construction industry but I gotta say, this is pretty bad. I've been alright with it because of some stuff going on in my personal life that I required time for like people dieing, quitting smoking and home audio: serious stuff. ;)

If this goes on for much longer I am going back to Ft. Worth to live in my best friend's garage. He recently renovated the millwork. I got me some elephant skin boots from the worlds largest boot store or something out Arlington way from Sept. 26, 1987. I'll fit right in. :)
Hey come on down. We can always use more philes in this town.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just because almost 100% of children believe in: Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny doesn't make it so.

What I will agree on: 86% of whomever believing something that isn't provable, doesn't make it a fact. A million wrong people are just as wrong as one person. If believing in God makes you feel safer/better/superior/more 'moral', more power to you. Just please leave the 14% who don't share your views alone.
That's interesting, but i think to limited in it's understanding of evidence.

Also the statement leaves out the fact that in my belief system a non believer will perish. For me to leave anyone alone with that belief would be cruel and wrong. Just something to think about. It's like letting someone buy Bose in my mind.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
back on topic. I think it's really sad to see the economy collapse on itself.

there is a lot of money out there, but it will take time to get the holders of money to invest it.

Remember prices drop with sells of stock. Which means someone has that money. We just need to ride the storm until they start investing again.

Be patient and smart. Look for good opportunities.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
As I see it, it amounts to nothing more than greed allowed to run amok. The banks aren’t the only ones to blame - someone had to take all those loans. Everyone knew it was all based on a lot of BS.

Here’s something to ponder - If the top 1% of the wealthiest people in the country decided to literally “cash in” their assets, stocks & such - there wouldn’t be enough actual cash to go around - let alone the millions of the rest of us. All of this “money” being traded, earned, bought & sold…doesn’t even exist. Scary, isn’t it?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
So what do you think ?

Rooney never said such things this is an example of a chain letter that has gotten out of hand and is false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/rooney4.asp

You will notice many snippets from the letter posted within this link. All of which he never said on air.
Well SNOPES is not always accurate. Again it has a liberal media basis.

If Andey Ronney didn't say them oh well, the sataments should have been made anyway.

Take Care,

MidCow2

P.S. - you are pretty lame for your post anyway. What is your opinion of waht was stated Agree or disaggree- pretty cowardly weak , uninformed response. I gave you a signed red chicklet.

P.S.S. - Here is another thread or snippet post that you will surely dispute:

The handwriting is on the wall for all to see, my friends. It is ignored by most
liberal Democrats; it is writen only in english; so most of our poor unemployed
undocumented workers cannot understand the writing. Unfortunatly, those of us
who read the words and understand, remain silent; so nothing changes; or doed
it? The time for Proaction has passed; but, it is not too late if we make our
voiced heard. How many voices can be heard now? Before you answer, please
read the passionate wirds of a great American Predident at the conclusion
of this message. LOL,

Glen
The highest % of people below the poverty level of US cities with populations 250,000+

1. Detroit, MI 32.5%

2. Buffalo, NY 29.9%

3. Cincinnati, OH 27.8%

4. Cleveland, OH 27.0%

5. Miami, FL 26.9%

6. St. Louis, MO 26.8%

7. El Paso, TX 26.4%

8. Milwaukee, WI 26.2%

9. Philadelphia, PA 25.1%

10. Newark, NJ 24.2%

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, August 2007

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

· Detroit (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn’t elected a Republican mayor since 1961; [is primarily black]

· Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn’t elected one since 1954;

· Cincinnati, OH (3rd)...since 1984;

· Cleveland, OH (4th)...since 1989;

· Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

· St. Louis, MO (6th)....since 1949;

· El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

· Milwaukee, WI (8th)...since 1908;

· Philadelphia, PA (9th)...since 1952;

· Newark, NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, ‘The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.’It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still .........POOR

“You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.”

BY Abraham Lincoln

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis