FS: Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 Ultimate

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I have a full, legit, unopened copy of Vista Ultimate and a copy of Office 2007 Ultimate sitting around that I need to get rid of. I'm moving to a new apartment and really need the cash.

Is anyone interested in either? I was thinking of $120 for Vista and $200 for Office.

I also build PCs, so could use either or both at further discount in a new PC of some sort if anyone wants one.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I have a full, legit, unopened copy of Vista Ultimate and a copy of Office 2007 Ultimate sitting around that I need to get rid of. I'm moving to a new apartment and really need the cash.

Is anyone interested in either? I was thinking of $120 for Vista and $200 for Office.

I also build PCs, so could use either or both at further discount in a new PC of some sort if anyone wants one.
I'll take vista. YGPM

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Vista is indeed sold. Office is still up for grabs though.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Don't buy anything from jonnythan. He'll take your money and you'll end up with nothing in return as happened to me.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Whoa boy. What!!!!! That is pretty lame. Is he sending it have you heard anything ? Did you recieve anything? I am very interested to know...Its none of my buisness but I hope it works out for you Abboudc.............

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Whoa boy. What!!!!! That is pretty lame. Is he sending it have you heard anything ? Did you recieve anything? I am very interested to know...Its none of my buisness but I hope it works out for you Abboudc.............
Check the Members Feedback thread. Abboudc explained what happened there.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
He claims to have sent it a month ago and it must be "lost in the mail" and it's not his problem.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Don't buy anything from jonnythan. He'll take your money and you'll end up with nothing in return as happened to me.
That is completely unfair.

I mailed the package to the address provided by Abboudc a couple of days after I received the money order. Abboudc did not ask for insurance on the package so I did not pay for insurance on it.

Abboudc claims not to have received it. I have thus far refrained from insinuating that he did actually receive it and is claiming not to have received it in an attempt to get money back, which is a very common scam.

The copy of Office I was selling went on eBay and arrived fine. You will note that I have 100% positive feedback on eBay as well. You will also note that prior to this transaction I had 100% positive feedback on Heatware as well.

I have apologized profusely. The CD really did get lost in the mail if abboudc didn't receive it and the address he provided to me was correct.

Despite my apologies, I accept the feedback since abboudc didn't receive anything. However, again, abboudc did not request insurance on the package and I cannot be responsible for things that are actually lost in the mail. I noted that this is the first time I've ever had any package lost in the mail in any of my hundreds of online transactions.

I understand that he is upset, but I think it's unfair for him to say that I claimed it's "not my problem." I have been apologetic and courteous and have not at any point during the exchange brushed him off that way.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Jon,

For whatever reason I believe you sent the item and am of the opinion that just because the buyer didn't request this, that or the other it doesn't mean you should leave him holding the bag. You are responsible for seeing to it that he gets the item in his hand. Period.

I don't believe he accused you of not sending it and that is also a very common scam. Hopefully it does arrive. I sent a M/O once with delivery confirmation and it got lost for a couple of months before it finally arrived so let's hope that that happens here.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Respectfully, I've been selling things online for about 13 years now and that's never been standard operating procedure for individual sellers in this sort of situation. That's procedure for stores and retailers.

There's a reason Amazon doesn't ask you if you want insurance on a package - they assume the responsibility for making sure the product gets into your hands. eBay and similar marketplace sellers do as a matter of course offer insurance, because they cannot or do not wish to assume responsibility for the actual mail carrier.

I again apologize that the package has not (yet?) made it to Abboudc, but that's one of the risks one takes when one buys a package from an individual seller in a marketplace format without speifying insurance on the package.

Last edited:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
As noted in the other thread, the package was mailed.

I've never had anything lost in the mail before, but it's impossible for either of us to recoup because abboudc did not request insurance on the package.

It's possible that it got lost in the mail. It's also possible that abboudc received the package, noticed that it was sent without insurance without delivery confirmation, and saw the opportunity to claim it was never received. This is a very common scam. I hadn't even insinuated that this may have been the case in our PMs (in which I was very apologetic and courteous).

It's also possible that it may still arrive. I've had things show up after more than a month before.

I assure Abboudc, and everyone else, that I mailed the copy of Vista.
Whether you mailed it (or not) is completely irrelevant. As is whether *I* requested insurance.

I sent payment to you. Had you not received it, you wouldn't have a problem not sending vista, even if it was lost in the mail. That would be my problem, as it's my job to get you payment. As you've noted, you received payment.

I didn't receive Vista. The "contract" for delivery was between you and whoever you shipped it with. Insurance, if there was any, would also be between you and the people you ship with. Insurance claims must be filed by the person that shipped it, not the person receiving it. There's a reason for this as the shipping company was paid by the person shipping it, not receiving it. Imagine you order something from Amazon and it doesn't show up. Would you get a refund or would Amazon say "sorry we shipped it".

Most forums have rules that say if a person doesn't receive his end, the other party hasn't met his obligation. Contract law is also *very* clear cut here. If you know any lawyers, ask them. "I mailed it" doesn't fulfill your obligation. Nor will attempting to put the onus on me for not requesting insurance, unless we agreed up front that i would assume all responsiblity for shipping, which didn't happen.

I'm going to give you a week to reconsider your present course before i take further action which may include any or all of the following: filing a mail fraud form, filing an internet crime case with the FBI (it's over $100 and across state lines), and filing a small claims action in your county. The nice thing about small claims is the loser pays court and serving costs in addition to the amount disputed, it just gets tacked onto the judgment. In this case the court costs and serving fees would amount to over $180 (i've already done some pre-work here). Rest assured, i will not sit idly by and let someone take my money, no matter how polite, courteous, and apologetic.

And yes, i'll acknowledge here you were very polite in telling me you were keeping my money. I'll be equal courteous here telling you that you won't. The principle of it is far more important to me than the small amount of money at this point. But it's one i'm prepared to stand on.

Should you refund my money and Vista show up at some point in the future, i will remit payment again or return Vista to you.

It's also possible that abboudc received the package, noticed that it was sent without insurance without delivery confirmation, and saw the opportunity to claim it was never received. This is a very common scam. I hadn't even insinuated that this may have been the case in our PMs (in which I was very apologetic and courteous).
Are you insinuating this now? I'm sure you're aware, it's impossible to prove the negative - that i didn't get something. Though, when one looks at the fact that you received payment up front, i don't think it's a great leap to say i'm not scamming anyone.

I see you frequent Anandtech and Hardforum...i'd suggest contacting the moderators there and asking their opinion. I think the response will surprise you as they won't agree with your perspective and will tell you how misinformed you are.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Out of curiosity, how does someone legally prove that they did not receive something?

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Out of curiosity, how does someone legally prove that they did not receive something?
You can't prove it a negative. But you don't need to.

He received payment. In addition to tracking the envelope, I used a trackable payment method (USPS money order). He also PM'd me that he received it. There is no question i fulfilled my end of the "contract".

I did not receive Vista. The simple fact is it does not matter if he mailed it or didn't, if it was lost in the mail or delivered to my neighbor. He could have paid a guy on the street $10 to deliver it. These details simply don't matter (though the method may reflect on his judgment ;) ). The fact that I did not receive it means his obligation was not fulfilled. He did not fulfill his end of the contract.

In this case, it's very clear cut. The fact that he's an individual on an internet forum vs. a store like Amazon does not matter (a contract is a contract), the fact that he's got good ebay feedback does not matter, the fact that *i* didn't request insurance does not matter. Even if there *was* insurance on the package (which he tells me there was not) does not matter (it would matter to him as it would give him a means to recoup his loss, but to his obligation, it does not matter). The only thing that would have altered this contract and made me responsible is had i agreed, up front, to assume responsiblity for his shipping, which i did not. His stance is that i did so by not requesting insurance, but unfortunately for him that's not the way it works.

The same exact thing would happen if he gave it to a family member to give to me and they never did. The fact that he gave it to an unrelated third party doesn't relieve him of his obligation.

I'm really hoping he "sees the light" here and does the right thing, but i'm superbly prepared if he does not.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't understand why someone can claim to not receive something and have a good legal position. As you say, you can't prove it. At that point, it seems that the court would have to go off of character and past behavior, at which point the eBay reputation does matter.

I'm neither trying to downplay your (abboudc) anger at the situation or imply that Jonnythan is guilty. I'm simply questioning the strength of your legal position in this matter.

For a seller, it seems like paying for delivery confirmation could be a very worthwhile investment, especially when it represents a small percentage of the cost of the item.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I don't understand why someone can claim to not receive something and have a good legal position. As you say, you can't prove it.
He could choose to dispute that i never received it, but he'd have to have some sort of evidence that i did. Tracking info, interview the mailman that delivered it, etc. This would also be equivalent to accusing me of fraud.

I don't believe he is disputing that i didnt receive it (at least at this point). His position is that it's not his responsibility in that case. It's mine because i didn't ask for insurance. Which is false.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how was the package mailed? do you have proof of sending it jonnythan?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis