audyssey dynamic eq vs Behringer eq

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Fwiw im still expecting a late summer release of a real time stand alone unit for under 1k. I like the dcx but it took some time for me to use REW, which imo for freeware, is awesome compared to whats out here.
Can REW be used to help set up the bass, tone and treble in just the AVR's themselves?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What is QFT ?
Quoted For Truth.

Fwiw im still expecting a late summer release of a real time stand alone unit for under 1k. I like the dcx but it took some time for me to use REW, which imo for freeware, is awesome compared to whats out here.
Yes, this is in fact what I have been waiting for. When it comes, I won't necessarily buy it, but I like the anticipation and high hopes, nevertheless. Same thing with ASEQ1. I have three main reasons to keep my hopes up for the imminent release of a good, midlevel, consumer friendly, affordable, standalone, RC system:

1) bandphan told me so.
2) bandphan told me so.
3) bandphan told me so.

:p

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
By the looks of it, I don't think I can use the DCX with an AVR. I have a 2 channel Amp, but how would I hook up the my center and rears when there is no input back into my Arcam AVR. The only inputs I have are for components and multi-channel..

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
By the looks of it, I don't think I can use the DCX with an AVR. I have a 2 channel Amp, but how would I hook up the my center and rears when there is no input back into my Arcam AVR. The only inputs I have are for components and multi-channel..
One does not need to use DCX for rears generally. Rears are the most non-critical channels; the AVR's built in xover is perfectly fine for this. The center is a problem. You would need an outboard amplifier channel just like you need for the main channels. The DCX is equipped with 3 input channels, thus easily accomodating L, C and R set ups.

-Chris.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
And if you ever wanted to use subwoofers with mains as a seamless addition for music, that enhances SQ, then something like the DCX must be used. Otherwise, a subwoofer can often cause problems. I always recommend at least dual high quality subs of course.
.....WmAx, you're sharp as ever....the above answer was spoken to Greg.....

.....Greg, if you're running a sub while letting the mains eat to the floor, you've got duplicating-MUD....nothing does 80-down better than a sub....but....you NEED to bottom-cut the mains at 80 using the Behringer, or some type of active cross-over.....

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
.....WmAx, you're sharp as ever....the above answer was spoken to Greg.....

.....Greg, if you're running a sub while letting the mains eat to the floor, you've got duplicating-MUD....nothing does 80-down better than a sub....but....you NEED to bottom-cut the mains at 80 using the Behringer, or some type of active cross-over.....
Holy Moly! Hey man.........long time.....

Did you ever get your midbass subs and DCX units hooked up and running?

-Chris

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Holy Moly! Hey man.........long time.....

Did you ever get your midbass subs and DCX units hooked up and running?

-Chris
.....Chris, I'm using two Paradigm X-30's configured to bottom-cut my main's regiment at 120, send 80 down to an SVS B-4, and 80-120 to two 15's in sealed boxes....they're all low-cuts with slopes of 18 db's per octave.....sounds great, to me anyway....I especially like the phase-control of the X-30's....they're getting hard to find, so if mine go ka-put, I'll try the Behringer that makes these cuts....I'm about to try to run my digital-cable audio signals through a Behringer SRC-2496, the one with 24 bit dac's....I'm using the dac's of my DVD player for DVD's and CD's....the Mac MVP-871 has 24-bit dac's that ARE 24-bit dac's....really enjoying my system lately....thanks for the response, Chris, is Sheep still around?.....

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
.....Chris, I'm using two Paradigm X-30's configured to bottom-cut my main's regiment at 120, send 80 down to an SVS B-4, and 80-120 to two 15's in sealed boxes....they're all low-cuts with slopes of 18 db's per octave.....sounds great, to me anyway....I especially like the phase-control of the X-30's....they're getting hard to find, so if mine go ka-put, I'll try the Behringer that makes these cuts....I'm about to try to run my digital-cable audio signals through a Behringer SRC-2496, the one with 24 bit dac's....I'm using the dac's of my DVD player for DVD's and CD's....the Mac MVP-871 has 24-bit dac's that ARE 24-bit dac's....really enjoying my system lately....thanks for the response, Chris, is Sheep still around?.....
Sheep is still around.

As for the Behringer SRC2496 DAC: I have a friend that has purchased two of these units and both units have measurable problems in so far as the DAC keeping a proper lock on a particular mode. He claims the problem is even audible. Just a notice.

-Chris

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
My mains drop down to 32 hz and my center 42. My rears, which I know aren't as important go to 60 hz. I had my player crossing over at 80 previously, but I think my fronts play full range..

I just changed it to 60 to see how it sounds.. Are you suggesting I set all my speakers to small and my cross over for everything to 80? I think I can bypass though for 2 channel stereo and play them with full signal.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
As for the Behringer SRC2496 DAC: I have a friend that has purchased two of these units and both units have measurable problems in so far as the DAC keeping a proper lock on a particular mode. He claims the problem is even audible. Just a notice.

-Chris
.....thanks, Chris....I've had the thing for about 3 years just sitting in it's box....TV sound being what it is, hopefully there will be some improvement....if not, I need a new boat anchor anyway.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
My mains drop down to 32 hz and my center 42. My rears, which I know aren't as important go to 60 hz. I had my player crossing over at 80 previously, but I think my fronts play full range..

I just changed it to 60 to see how it sounds.. Are you suggesting I set all my speakers to small and my cross over for everything to 80? I think I can bypass though for 2 channel stereo and play them with full signal.....
.....Greg, please take this with a grain of salt....you might hear 32 hz from your mains, 42 hz from your center, and 60 hz from your surrounds/rears, if your head was inside the speaker enclosures....I would have guessed you had seperates, but you say "small", so I know you've got a receiver....as WmAx has suggested, making the hand-off at 80 hz "seamless" renders a cleaner sound-quality and lends toward better realism, and that's what we're ALL after, is it not?....I like the way all your main's regiment are of the same B&W line....using the Behringer DCX 2496, or any active crossover with a receiver, is not involved in my experience at all....keep listening to WmAx in this endeavor.....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Just because a speaker has a state rand doesn't mean you should play down to it.

I think 80 hz as low as I would go with most speakers. Though a dual 8" woofer may be crossed lower. With dual Kappas you really should let the kappas do the sub 80hz work. IMO.

And I think you run the LRC as large when using a DCX. Then let the DCX divide up the sound. But correct me if I'm wrong on this, Chris. Doing this you leave the LFE off in the receivers mind.

I think a DCX2496 is probably going to be next on my purchase list.

Any suggestions on a fairly low cost 3 channel amp or should I just get a pair of Behringer 500s

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
.....Greg, please take this with a grain of salt....you might hear 32 hz from your mains, 42 hz from your center, and 60 hz from your surrounds/rears, if your head was inside the speaker enclosures....I would have guessed you had seperates, but you say "small", so I know you've got a receiver....as WmAx has suggested, making the hand-off at 80 hz "seamless" renders a cleaner sound-quality and lends toward better realism, and that's what we're ALL after, is it not?....I like the way all your main's regiment are of the same B&W line....using the Behringer DCX 2496, or any active crossover with a receiver, is not involved in my experience at all....keep listening to WmAx in this endeavor.....
I do have an AVR paired up with a 2 channel amp for my mains. I'm letting the Arcam AVR power my center and rears. I'm wondering now if I should have just gone with a 3 channel Amp up front like the XPA-3, as opposed to the XPA-2, but the 2 is a beefier amp and my 802's like power.

I'll switch all my speakers to small with an 80 cross over and see how that makes everything sound. I will however, keep my speakers at full range for stereo though, as I much more prefer this.

In terms of the DCX, I guess I'm going to need to buy another Amp for my center channel first... :(

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I do have an AVR paired up with a 2 channel amp for my mains. I'm letting the Arcam AVR power my center and rears. I'm wondering now if I should have just gone with a 3 channel Amp up front like the XPA-3, as opposed to the XPA-2, but the 2 is a beefier amp and my 802's like power.

I'll switch all my speakers to small with an 80 cross over and see how that makes everything sound. I will however, keep my speakers at full range for stereo though, as I much more prefer this.

In terms of the DCX, I guess I'm going to need to buy another Amp for my center channel first... :(
See if emotiva will upgrade your unit to 3ch isnt it the same chasiss? (cant remember)

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
The internal layouts of the XPA-2 and XPA-3 are quite a bit different.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I find my best blend using a 60hz crossover on my mains, 80hz on my center and 120hz on my surrounds.

I am no longer using acoustic panels and I use the AS from my AVR and the SMS for my sub. Everything sounds just fine and I am finished jacking with it for now.

:(

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I find my best blend using a 60hz crossover on my mains, 80hz on my center and 120hz on my surrounds.

I am no longer using acoustic panels and I use the AS from my AVR and the SMS for my sub. Everything sounds just fine and I am finished jacking with it for now.
AS XT really does an amazing job with any setup IMO.

I had it and it created a seamless sound stage on my last system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis