audyssey dynamic eq vs Behringer eq

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I do have an AVR paired up with a 2 channel amp for my mains. I'm letting the Arcam AVR power my center and rears. I'm wondering now if I should have just gone with a 3 channel Amp up front like the XPA-3, as opposed to the XPA-2, but the 2 is a beefier amp and my 802's like power.

I'll switch all my speakers to small with an 80 cross over and see how that makes everything sound. I will however, keep my speakers at full range for stereo though, as I much more prefer this.

In terms of the DCX, I guess I'm going to need to buy another Amp for my center channel first... :(
You could give phantoming the center a go.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
You could give phantoming the center a go.
This is a good suggestion. I tried phantoming with the Rotel and the Yamaha 3900 I had and didn't like it. I have a very big sofa in my family room. 12x12 that wraps around. If I don't sit on Axis, which when I have people over, many can't, the sound isn't anchored and sounds weird..

I'll try it again on the Arcam as the Arcam does radiate sound very good and creates a wide sound field, but my guess is I'm going to prefer the system with my center... Worth another shot though...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This is a good suggestion. I tried phantoming with the Rotel and the Yamaha 3900 I had and didn't like it. I have a very big sofa in my family room. 12x12 that wraps around. If I don't sit on Axis, which when I have people over, many can't, the sound isn't anchored and sounds weird..

I'll try it again on the Arcam as the Arcam does radiate sound very good and creates a wide sound field, but my guess is I'm going to prefer the system with my center... Worth another shot though...
Remember Chris has very high standards when it comes to sound so a step down from his standards probably smokes most of ours.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Well I tried the Center Phantom and no dice. I really don't like it. I have a really nice Center Channel as is. It retailed for over 3k new, but I bought it pre-owned and saved a ton... Nonetheless, the voices and the sound stage are much more full and clear with the Center on... So....

I may need a new Amp. I'm honestly thinking about getting an XPA-5 from Emotiva to match the XPA-2 I already have. Then, I'm considering going with just a really good processor.

I'm just wondering if a processor like the Athem with their ARC EQ is worth while. These auto EQ systems in the high end Audyssey Sound EQ or Athem ARC are supposed to literally overcome any type of room acoustic problems you have.

The issue is of course, price. Do you guys think it's really worth it? Or should I look at the new Outlaw, or Emotiva when they come out and just live with their Auto setups? I was less than impressed with Yamaha's Auto Setup system. I ended up having to adjust the sub distance, the cross overs and the speaker size of my rears. It told me every time I tried setting it up that I had large speakers in the back.

Feedback and reviews on the Audyssey and ARC systems say they are truly awesome. Not your typical Audyssey Auto Setup in the mainstream receivers...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well I tried the Center Phantom and no dice. I really don't like it. I have a really nice Center Channel as is. It retailed for over 3k new, but I bought it pre-owned and saved a ton... Nonetheless, the voices and the sound stage are much more full and clear with the Center on... So....

I may need a new Amp. I'm honestly thinking about getting an XPA-5 from Emotiva to match the XPA-2 I already have. Then, I'm considering going with just a really good processor.

I'm just wondering if a processor like the Athem with their ARC EQ is worth while. These auto EQ systems in the high end Audyssey Sound EQ or Athem ARC are supposed to literally overcome any type of room acoustic problems you have.

The issue is of course, price. Do you guys think it's really worth it? Or should I look at the new Outlaw, or Emotiva when they come out and just live with their Auto setups? I was less than impressed with Yamaha's Auto Setup system. I ended up having to adjust the sub distance, the cross overs and the speaker size of my rears. It told me every time I tried setting it up that I had large speakers in the back.

Feedback and reviews on the Audyssey and ARC systems say they are truly awesome. Not your typical Audyssey Auto Setup in the mainstream receivers...
AS(which is my way of saying the word I hate to spell) XT

is amazing and comes on several high end receivers. I had it on my 705 and it made the sound very seamless for movies.

make sure you do all 8 points though.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I'm guessing that the AS is better than Yamaha's Autoset up...

My rears only have a midrange woofer and a bass port and by specs only go down to 60hz. The Yamaha tried to tell me each and every time that it was a large speaker...

Then on my center, which has two bass woofers and goes down to 42 hz that it was small and set the cross over at 90hz.

The only thing it did do right was get the distance of the speakers, excluding the sub which was always off by about 4-5 feet , and the levels correct..

Needless to say, I was less than impressed with the AS of the Yamaha, but it was their proprietary system, not Audyssey which is suppose to be better...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Have you considered Behringers for Amps

They would have a lot more head room than your emotiva.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Have you considered Behringers for Amps

They would have a lot more head room than your emotiva.
I already own an XPA-2. If I get another Amp, I would think I need to keep it consistent on the Center as an ideal setup... Also, I hear the Behringer Amps have noisy fans that need to be replaced...Although they are very affordable.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I alread own an XPA-2. If I get another Amp, I would think I need to keep it consistent on the Center as an ideal setup... Also, I hear the Behringer Amps have noisy fans that need to be replaced...Although they are very affordable.
Yes you will want to mod the fans, but an EP2500 is only 300 a pop and provides way more power than any comparable amp at it's price.

They can even drive subs.:eek:

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Yes you will want to mod the fans, but an EP2500 is only 300 a pop and provides way more power than any comparable amp at it's price.

They can even drive subs.:eek:
That's what I've heard.. I'll probably just stick with another Emo for now, to keep things looking uniform and sounding the same, even though a good amp shouldn't alter sound...

My dilemna is whether I should spring for one of these new Anthems or just stick with a lower cost processor. I bought an opened box Arcam which sounds pretty good, but I know that I could benefit from a really good EQ system and the DCX seems too complicated for my tastes...

I really don't want to go crazy with room treatments as I'm trying to keep my family room in the Architectural Digest arena, and not a recording studio..

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Man, you are never happy. Send that thing with the blue lights back and get a 5 channel Rotel. While you are at it get an Integra pre/pro and be done with it.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1242657318&/Rotel-RMB-1095-200wx5-amazing-
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1241027508&/Rotel-RMB-1095-200-x-5--Reduce

Or get crazy and go with one of these.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1243198643&/Parasound-Halo-A-21-dealer-dem

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1243188207&/Parasound-Halo-as-new-a51-/-a-

One could also get a simple, cheap AVR and a couple of EP 2500's and have a system that will sound as good for a fraction of the cost but that's no fun.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Man, you are never happy. Send that thing with the blue lights back and get a 5 channel Rotel. While you are at it get an Integra pre/pro and be done with it.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1242657318&/Rotel-RMB-1095-200wx5-amazing-
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1241027508&/Rotel-RMB-1095-200-x-5--Reduce

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1243198643&/Parasound-Halo-A-21-dealer-dem

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1243188207&/Parasound-Halo-as-new-a51-/-a-

One could also get a simple, cheap AVR and a couple of EP 2500's and have a system that will sound as good for a fraction of the cost but that's no fun.
He needs 9 ep2500s hehe 1 for each sub and 1 for each speaker that will have enough drivers to match the sub.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic

I was wondering when you or Adam would show up to kick my butt...

I'm thinking I'm going to have to hire my favorite groups and performers to come in and perform live for me soon!!! :) Only problem is going to be getting Sinatra and resurrecting the 2 deceased Beatles... :rolleyes:

You forgot that I should sell my B&W's and pick up some Paradigms... Then I could change my name to ParadigmDawg2, and have a rocking system... Oh, and I almost forgot. I need to glaze my cabinets too.. :p

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
He needs 9 ep2500s hehe 1 for each sub and 1 for each speaker that will have enough drivers to match the sub.
LOL. I could just keep all the fans in them and the helicopter scenes in Black Hawk Down would sound even more realistic!!! :D

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Man, you are never happy. Send that thing with the blue lights back and get a 5 channel Rotel.
That thing with the Blue lights needed to be returned on the 25th. So.. I'm 2 days past the 30 day return window...

I think I kind of like the blue lights... There's a hypnotic feeling to them... One that's telling me I need more blue lights.. 5 more blue lights to be exact.. :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I would just go with a set of Yamaha pro amps. The P2500S/P3500S/P5000S/P7000S. No fan noise to contend with; choose model according to power requirement. The weakest model has 250 watts x2(8 ohms). The strongest model has 700 x2(8 Ohms), or about 1000x2 into 4 Ohms. Adjustable input gains and XLR inputs = connecting to DCX2496 units will be super easy and noise free. These amps are superb; simply transparent class AB amps with advanced power supplies that give these amps almost twice the power efficiency of standard AB class amps. The rack mount ears are removable if you don't like the look or need them to fit in a standard audio rack.

-Chiri

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

One does not need to use DCX for rears generally. Rears are the most non-critical channels; the AVR's built in xover is perfectly fine for this. The center is a problem. You would need an outboard amplifier channel just like you need for the main channels. The DCX is equipped with 3 input channels, thus easily accomodating L, C and R set ups.

-Chris.
Wouldn't you need another DCX if using one for L/C/R if you plan on integrating a sub or two?

Doesn't the DCX do RTA also. I know it can drive the EMC-8000 Berhinger MIC off of input C. So the built RTA should be able to make some adjustments?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I would just go with a set of Yamaha pro amps. The P2500S/P3500S/P5000S/P7000S. No fan noise to contend with; choose model according to power requirement. The weakest model has 250 watts x2(8 ohms). The strongest model has 700 x2(8 Ohms), or about 1000x2 into 4 Ohms. Adjustable input gains and XLR inputs = connecting to DCX2496 units will be super easy and noise free. These amps are superb; simply transparent class AB amps with advanced power supplies that give these amps almost twice the power efficiency of standard AB class amps. The rack mount ears are removable if you don't like the look or need them to fit in a standard audio rack.

-Chiri

Nod, the Crest CC amps are silent also. Run like hell too.

http://www.crestaudio.com/products/browse.cfm/action/list/cat/342/begin/0/CC+Series.cfm

US company (I'm starting to try to only buy US stuff when I can, just to try an help out, ya know?), great technical support, stand behind their product. I've had great experiences with Crest, go read some reviews of their stuff.

Mika75

Mika75

Audioholic
Wouldn't you need another DCX if using one for L/C/R if you plan on integrating a sub or two?

Doesn't the DCX do RTA also. I know it can drive the EMC-8000 Berhinger MIC off of input C. So the built RTA should be able to make some adjustments?
You have 6 outputs with the DCX - L / C / R / SW / SW / _ :)

The Mic input is used to Auto-Align loudspeaker delay ... not RTA.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis